• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone cringe when their superhero curses?

19 posts in this topic

WHY WHY WHY???????????

I know this is old argued over and over news, but I still cringe everytime my superhero uses bad language! Does anyone get the same feeling? I just love reading the old comics where no such thing was even thought about. My hero is the utmost of all that is good, and clean and pure in my eyes and then the new comics have him blurting out an offensive word or gesturing towards a skimpy dressed lady 893whatthe.gif. It just ruins all there is about TRUE HEROSOMENESS!!! Yes, thats the word it ruins, HEROSOMENESS!!!! Bring back the code!!!! Does anyone else feel this way? Higghawker grin.gif

Got any examples? Who are the main offenders. I'm just trying to get a handle on which characters and books you're talking about because I can't really think of any examples in the books I read every month. I obviously read titles with their fair share of "bad" language, they just don't feature the same characters I read when I was a kid.

I'd also be curious which books turned people off of new comics completely. Both of you guys allude to this phenomenon. I'm just curious if it's a case of bad luck ("all my favorite characters are in MAX titles now 893whatthe.gif") or something else.

That was just a general statement. I don't read modern comics enough to be a fair judge of content.

I was reading (on these boards) that sales figures have been going down for new comics overall. Someone even had a nice fancy graph that I couldn't make heads or tails out of.

I never knew they did! 893whatthe.gif I think I'll just stick to silver agers thumbsup2.gif

On a similar note, I feel the same way in films! Fair enough, the odd bit here and there, but seriouesly, they don't need it! Phone booth(?) comes to mind, but there are so many. The only one that could just get away with it is My Cousin Vinny 27_laughing.gif

I recently read the first two "Fables" trades, and felt a little uncomfortable with some of the language. Don't get the impression that I'm in any way prudish. I was a big fan of Preacher, for crying out loud. But the tone of Fables seemed more "all ages", with a few misplaced curse words thrown in to make it "mature." They just seemed out of place.

I don't. i never really thought that heroes didn't curse. heroes are defined by their actions, not the words that come out of their mouths.

I don't. i never really thought that heroes didn't curse. heroes are defined by their actions, not the words that come out of their mouths.

A-fricking-MEN brother. I swear like a drunken sailor, and so do most people I know. If I was getting into fights as often as our heroes do, I'd be swearing up a storm!!!!!!

In the real world, that's how people talk!!!

And Fables is a VERTIGO book!! by definition it's R Rated!

I recently read the first two "Fables" trades, and felt a little uncomfortable with some of the language. Don't get the impression that I'm in any way prudish. I was a big fan of Preacher, for crying out loud. But the tone of Fables seemed more "all ages", with a few misplaced curse words thrown in to make it "mature." They just seemed out of place.

You've hit the nail on the head! Typically, "mature" in Marvel titles means gratuituous profanity and juvenille sexual innuendo. It comes off as immature and dumb more often than not.

There was an issue of the Ultimates where the Hulk was "horny" and on a rampage looking for sex. The whole thing left me sick to my stomach. Further, Loeb had a run in the new FF when there was a bit of (highly inappropriate) sexual innuendo. I know a bunch of casual fans that were really put off by this.

I'm no prude, but frankly, our culture is sexualized enough... especially for kids who are forced to grow up way too fast. You'd never see Disney, Warner Brothers or even DC allow their flagship characters to engage in the language and behavior Marvel has permitted some of it's biggest characters. What's next? Spider-Man at Spring Break Gone Wild?

Got any examples? Who are the main offenders. I'm just trying to get a handle on which characters and books you're talking about because I can't really think of any examples in the books I read every month. I obviously read titles with their fair share of "bad" language, they just don't feature the same characters I read when I was a kid.

I would say try the new "Outsiders" but that would mean I recommend you buy it which I don't. I believe they say GD at least 3 times in the first 3 issues. Stopped buying it after that. A shame to have nightwing in a monthly series that I no longer pick up.

Now Max and Vertigo books don't fall into this category because you should know what you're getting when you purchase it.

I would say try the new "Outsiders" but that would mean I recommend you buy it which I don't. I believe they say GD at least 3 times in the first 3 issues. Stopped buying it after that.

That explains something at least. I wouldn't even notice GD as being "bad" language.

I understand what your saying about the languge. I'm not near my collection right now, but didn't Absorbing Man say something nasty to Thing in that recent Startling Tales series? Even in HERO I think I read something nasty.

Actually I'm more taken by the acts of sex that go on in comics. Take the last series of League Of Extrordinary Gentlemen forinstance. I'm sure if more of that is shown in comics then the CODE will be back.

Its a good thing Janet Jackson doesn't have a comic series of herself. wink.gif

I understand what your saying about the languge. I'm not near my collection right now, but didn't Absorbing Man say something nasty to Thing in that recent Startling Tales series? Even in HERO I think I read something nasty.

Actually I'm more taken by the acts of sex that go on in comics. Take the last series of League Of Extrordinary Gentlemen forinstance. I'm sure if more of that is shown in comics then the CODE will be back.

Its a good thing Janet Jackson doesn't have a comic series of herself. wink.gif

Good point, I have noticed an increase in sexual activity in the comic books. There was a recent Avengers issue that had Henry Pym and Janet Van Dyne enagaged in sex and then him later battling bad guys in the nude. Also, there was a recent issue that featured sex between She-Hulk and I think the Juggernaut.

And Fables is a VERTIGO book!! by definition it's R Rated!

I think you missed my point. For a reader to sustain their suspension of disbelief, a story has to maintain a consistent tone. I felt that when characters cursed in Fables, they strayed from the tone the book had established, and it took me out of the story.

I don't care if it's a Vertigo book or one of DC mainstream titles, if it strays from its tone, it fails to tell its story effectively.