• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic Book Marketplace articles and letters

127 posts in this topic

I actually met Gary Carter this past year. Was very surprised that I even recognized him. Comic Book Marketplace was a great magazine.

How did that come about? Anything you can tell us about the meeting?

There were very few things in the collecting world that I looked forward to as much as CBM. And I never understood the entire Russ Cochran thing--hiring someone who was so completely antagonistic to the core audience and subject matter. I was surprised they printed my fairly caustic letter to them one month about the arrogance of forcing his interests on the readers. I can't believe there was a time this stuff meant enough to me to write a letter.

Ha, I'd almost forgotten I wrote a letter as well. He not only printed it but also responded (angrily--HA). Until you said that I had completely forgotten about that. I have to try to find it. I agree 100% with you, he was the wrong choice and it ruined what was once a great mag!

Jay

He could have put his own touches on the magazine while still retaining the flavor of what it was under Gary. I'm sure the reception would have been more favorable.

There were very few things in the collecting world that I looked forward to as much as CBM. And I never understood the entire Russ Cochran thing--hiring someone who was so completely antagonistic to the core audience and subject matter. I was surprised they printed my fairly caustic letter to them one month about the arrogance of forcing his interests on the readers. I can't believe there was a time this stuff meant enough to me to write a letter.

Ha, I'd almost forgotten I wrote a letter as well. He not only printed it but also responded (angrily--HA). Until you said that I had completely forgotten about that. I have to try to find it. I agree 100% with you, he was the wrong choice and it ruined what was once a great mag!

Jay

I wrote him a few nasty emails too, so I was surprised when he sent me a LinkedIn request last year. Did anyone else get that from Russ? I think he just used all the email addresses he got through CBM, not caring or remembering why he had those addresses.

Well, lets call it what it was. Gary wanted out, Russ willing to take it on.

There was evidently enough interference with Gary's editorial direction to make it less fun for him. Cochran was a long time friend of Geppi and, if what I heard is correct, may have had a contract that he fulfilled by editing the magazine for him.

CBM was extraordinarily influential in its time. It remains a good read and a valuable resource.

I actually met Gary Carter this past year. Was very surprised that I even recognized him. Comic Book Marketplace was a great magazine.

He surprised me outside the SD convention center (I didn't recognize him at first). He attended the DC War Collector's Dinner and we took him home after that. It was enjoyable talking with him as he is a fountain of stories.