• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sellers board

37 posts in this topic

I was just wondering since I am new to the boards. I go in the GA Selling forum a lot and I notice that a lot of the comics for sale are way overpriced.

Don't mean to start a problem but one seller has some nice GAs at almost double what GPA has them at for recent sales(this year).

Is this normal? Shouldn't the prices be cheaper since the seller doesn't have to worry about buyer's premiums and ebay costs?

More curious about proper protocol. Are those prices meant to be more like a BIN first offer?

All depends on the book and how motivated the seller is to sell.

GPA prices on some books may not matter if you have a market with buyers who are willing to pay more.

Some GPA sales are auction results, and those auction results can be volatile as it takes two buyers to drive the price up. A "buy it now" price may or may not be more in line with what a book might sell for.

Sometimes a seller may have picked the book up on the cheap and be trying to resell for a profit (it's what I do for a living :grin: )

A rare, or popular book will generally fetch strong prices and often stronger than previous sales.

Sometimes the seller may not be as motivated to sell and is pricing them at a price that they are willing to let them go at.

There are so many factors to consider. GPA is not the be-all...it's just one tool used in valuing books.

I'd chalk it up to capitalism (word of the day, it seems).

If you're interested in a book, make an offer via Private Message explaining your reasoning for the offer and see how it goes.

(shrug)

I was just wondering since I am new to the boards. I go in the GA Selling forum a lot and I notice that a lot of the comics for sale are way overpriced.

Don't mean to start a problem but one seller has some nice GAs at almost double what GPA has them at for recent sales(this year).

Is this normal? Shouldn't the prices be cheaper since the seller doesn't have to worry about buyer's premiums and ebay costs?

More curious about proper protocol. Are those prices meant to be more like a BIN first offer?

There's no real answer to your question.

Being Golden Age, and considering that GA has experienced a bit of a revival of late, certain books might fall into the "only copy like it, so 'pay up!'" category.

Or the seller you are referencing may be gouging, or more politely, he may just have an asking price that would convince him to part with the book because he doesn't really want to. (shrug)

Or the GPA price you are quoting might be for a copy with Tan-OW pages (which tends to sell at a significant discount)....

Or the GPA price was actually a BIN on eBay that sold way too cheap (happens all the time).

Infinite possibilities abound. :popcorn:

There have been and will always be sellers who believe with all their soul that their books are so special that they are worth whatever they ask. I can think of one right now. Best thing you can do is recognize when someone is ridiculous and just look elsewhere.

Interestingly, from what I have seen on the sales forum those who price fairly make a lot of sales....those who have higher than normal pricing tend to post them and then close the sale to go to another venue.

I can think of a couple sellers (GA and/or silver) who price high in their thread but if you are serious about buying there might be some wiggle room. I've had pricing lowered a bit by PM discussions so I wouldn't just write off someone without first inquiring via PM about the book and to see if they are flexible on the price.

Sometimes a key book just isn't going to be lowered in price if it's a hot item or not many around.

GPA is another reference but not the end all to what is the comics value. Lots of factors make up the value...the biggest being what someone is willing to pay for it.

I'm with Cheetah. There's nothing you can do about it except to do what you have done, educate yourself about pricing and realize what's fair and what isn't or I should say what's a price you're willing to pay and what's not. Beyond that, I am with Roy, send a PM and see if the person is open to negotiation. In fact, even on here, most prices are just listed as starting point. I still throw the :takeit: here and there if I really don't want to miss out on a book.

Or the GPA price you are quoting might be for a copy with Tan-OW pages (which tends to sell at a significant discount)....

Or the GPA price was actually a BIN on eBay that sold way too cheap (happens all the time).

Two excellent points that I wish sellers and buyers would acknowledge. If I have a

a nicley centered, white paged, clean copy of a book, why should I be expected to sell it at last GPA of a fugly, Tanned, cover writing marked up book of the same grade ?

I also dislike it when a seller is making his own market, trying to sell at last GPA

when last GPA was his purchase. He overpays and expects you to pay the same because it's last GPA.

Note, these comments are not expressing a complaint about GPA itself, just it's

use. Both buyers and sellers need to dig a little deeper into the GPA stats, work a little harder.

Thanks for listening !

The boards are notoriously cheap buyers and there are some sellers, sometimes myself included, who don't like the feeling of leaving money on the table. That said, unless it becomes so prevalent that it is spam-like, overpriced listings will enjoy quiet sales threads and I have no problem with them.

GPA is a good refernece point for comics where there is plenty of liquidity (e.g most SA and pretty much all BA onwards).

When it comes to GA there can as discussed previously be many factors which make the price harder to predict.

For example there are many comics where the last recorded GPA sale in grade may have been in 2004. Should a seller price the comic accordingly?

For GA I generally expect the marketplace to be a 2 way discussion (by PM).

I find some nice bargains :) , and miss out on some really nice bargains sometimes on the boards :frustrated:

Some sellers I only click on to look at the pretty pictures, but know there won't be anything in there I can afford. Others, I don't even click on because I know what is in there won't be affordable.

But, there are quite a few who sell at really nice prices.

Just check there often and you will find something lovely for your collection sooner or later

I find some nice bargains :) , and miss out on some really nice bargains sometimes on the boards :frustrated:

Some sellers I only click on to look at the pretty pictures, but know there won't be anything in there I can afford. Others, I don't even click on because I know what is in there won't be affordable.

Just check there often and you will find something lovely for your collection sooner or later

I agree with Bill. I think I purchased most of my comics this year via the boards. I have been offered things here that I would likely never see anywhere else. Just have a look at Mr. Bedrock's last sales thread. WTTB's!

I was just wondering since Iam new to the boards. I go in the GA Selling forum a lot and I notice that a lot of the comics for sale are way overpriced.

I've bought and sold a few books on the board.

I will pay up for a book I believe to be hard to find. If 1 copy of a particular book sold

in the last 6 years does GPA really matter?

When selling.....

I've offered books at a lofty price not caring whether the book sells. call it advertising.

I've offered books at what I believe to be a fair price and have sold a number of books.

Often I will list the books on the boards for a short period of time as a courtesy with the expectation that they won't sell and the books will be moved shortly thereafter.

I was just wondering since Iam new to the boards. I go in the GA Selling forum a lot and I notice that a lot of the comics for sale are way overpriced.

I've bought and sold a few books on the board.

I will pay up for a book I believe to be hard to find. If 1 copy of a particular book sold

in the last 6 years does GPA really matter?

When selling.....

I've offered books at a lofty price not caring whether the book sells. call it advertising.

I've offered books at what I believe to be a fair price and have sold a number of books.

Often I will list the books on the boards for a short period of time as a courtesy with the expectation that they won't sell and the books will be moved shortly thereafter.

I think your response is what I find offensive. If this is supposed to be a community that has a certain level of trust, why would you offer a book at an inflated price knowing that it won't sell without stating that in the post?

If you see what I wrote I didn't consider any GPA price from more than a year ago. I am starting to understand that not all 4-5s are graded the same. So i do take GPA prices with a grain of salt.

When someone puts up multiple books and they all are at a point double of what GPA has then it seems they are doing a disservice to the point of selling on this board. You are often going to get a better deal from a website dealer or ebay...

2c

I agree with Bill. I think I purchased most of my comics this year via the boards. I have been offered things here that I would likely never see anywhere else. Just have a look at Mr. Bedrock's last sales thread. WTTB's!

(thumbs u

Gosh knows I've bought some nice books from you Vern and been very pleased with the price, grading, terms and shipping time :applause: