• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sellers board

37 posts in this topic

I was just wondering since I am new to the boards. I go in the GA Selling forum a lot and I notice that a lot of the comics for sale are way overpriced.

Don't mean to start a problem but one seller has some nice GAs at almost double what GPA has them at for recent sales(this year).

Is this normal? Shouldn't the prices be cheaper since the seller doesn't have to worry about buyer's premiums and ebay costs?

More curious about proper protocol. Are those prices meant to be more like a BIN first offer?

I find some nice bargains :) , and miss out on some really nice bargains sometimes on the boards :frustrated:

Some sellers I only click on to look at the pretty pictures, but know there won't be anything in there I can afford. Others, I don't even click on because I know what is in there won't be affordable.

But, there are quite a few who sell at really nice prices.

Just check there often and you will find something lovely for your collection sooner or later

I think the bargains somehow flock to you. :baiting:

I was just wondering since I am new to the boards. I go in the GA Selling forum a lot and I notice that a lot of the comics for sale are way overpriced.

Don't mean to start a problem but one seller has some nice GAs at almost double what GPA has them at for recent sales(this year).

Is this normal? Shouldn't the prices be cheaper since the seller doesn't have to worry about buyer's premiums and ebay costs?

More curious about proper protocol. Are those prices meant to be more like a BIN first offer?

I find some nice bargains :) , and miss out on some really nice bargains sometimes on the boards :frustrated:

Some sellers I only click on to look at the pretty pictures, but know there won't be anything in there I can afford. Others, I don't even click on because I know what is in there won't be affordable.

But, there are quite a few who sell at really nice prices.

Just check there often and you will find something lovely for your collection sooner or later

I think the bargains somehow flock to you. :baiting:

Thanks to guys like you Roger (worship)

I was just wondering since Iam new to the boards. I go in the GA Selling forum a lot and I notice that a lot of the comics for sale are way overpriced.

I've bought and sold a few books on the board.

I will pay up for a book I believe to be hard to find. If 1 copy of a particular book sold

in the last 6 years does GPA really matter?

When selling.....

I've offered books at a lofty price not caring whether the book sells. call it advertising.

I've offered books at what I believe to be a fair price and have sold a number of books.

Often I will list the books on the boards for a short period of time as a courtesy with the expectation that they won't sell and the books will be moved shortly thereafter.

I think your response is what I find offensive. If this is supposed to be a community that has a certain level of trust, why would you offer a book at an inflated price knowing that it won't sell without stating that in the post?

2c

Why offer the book at an inflated price?

To me inflated means ... somewhat of a premium to prior sales for the book (I am not talking about common books). When I do this I'm trying to get an idea what the book is actually worth in today's market. That can only be discovered through conversations / PM's here and elsewhere.

The pricing data I get back gives me an idea as to whether I want to offer the book up for sale with a sharper price. Unfortunately, I'm not a full time employee in the hobby nor do I spend a great deal of time in the hobby so I have very, very few sources of information. Therefore, I need to find data in as many places as I can.

I assume that everyone knows what he/she will pay for a book. If the book is priced too high then no sale will take place. (shrug) If no one inquires about a book that might be information for me to use. How often do I price books not to sell? Not often. Usually books are priced fairly well.

In point of fact. Most of my books sell elsewhere at higher prices than I offer to the boards. Go figure? (shrug)

In point of fact. Most of my books sell elsewhere at higher prices than I offer to the boards. Go figure? (shrug)

This is a very important point.

This forum sales forum is a very small pie slice of the entire market and what doesn't sell here often sells much quicker somewhere else.

Translation? All board members including myself are really cheap. lol

This is a very important point.

This forum sales forum is a very small pie slice of the entire market and what doesn't sell here often sells much quicker somewhere else.

Translation? All board members including myself are really cheap. lol

Yes but it's also free to list the books here. No 10% + buyers premium going to an auction house, no eBay listing fees.

I was always under the impression, that with the exception of a few sellers, a lot of books are offered here below GPA and guide simply because subconsciously, we would rather see the books go to someone we interact with here on the Boards.

I know when I had to sell my collection over a year ago, I gave the Boards first shot at them at at what I paid or below cost, simply because I remember my roots and these Boards helped get me back into the hobby after almost 3 decades. What didn't sell I sent to CL and made 20-30% over what I paid on the rest.

Like it or not for the most part we are a community. Yes we have our villians, shills, insufficiently_thoughtful_persons, buttheads and even guys who are always picked on.

But for the most part we are one great big dysfunctional band of dorks who discuss comics, pressing, resto, eBay scammers, scanners, comic related TV shows and movies, gossip about whos flipping what and oh by the way look at my pretty book I got this week...

We keep a lot of books circulating amongst ourselves, whether its because we want to "keep it in the family", possibly be able to get it back if we ever get sellers remorse, or because we truly care about the hobby and everyone we interact with here on the Boards.

There are a variety of reasons that books are sold here and "keeping it in the family" is one of them.

(thumbs u

Point being, this is a very small pie slice and if a book doesn't find a home here it could be as simple as the buyer that needs a particular book is not registered on this forum and is floating out there somewhere.

Like it or not for the most part we are a community. Yes we have our villians, shills, insufficiently_thoughtful_persons, buttheads and even guys who are always picked on.

But for the most part we are one great big dysfunctional band of dorks who discuss comics, pressing, resto, eBay scammers, scanners, comic related TV shows and movies, gossip about whos flipping what and oh by the way look at my pretty book I got this week...

We keep a lot of books circulating amongst ourselves, whether its because we want to "keep it in the family", possibly be able to get it back if we ever get sellers remorse, or because we truly care about the hobby and everyone we interact with here on the Boards.

Can I have an, "Amen!" (thumbs u

There are a variety of reasons that books are sold here and "keeping it in the family" is one of them.

(thumbs u

Point being, this is a very small pie slice and if a book doesn't find a home here it could be as simple as the buyer that needs a particular book is not registered on this forum and is floating out there somewhere.

And for the most part, we have a good idea of what sells here. I know if I price things right, I'll sell almost everything I list. That's nice!

80-90% of the books I list here that I do eventually sell on ebay sell for more than what I listed them here for. it may take a while, sure. on the other hand, i do like not paying some of the fees and by and large the folks here are less psychotic that the average ebayer. what winds up selling for less here might be a best offer from someone who has already bought something from me and is combining shipping, so I tend to accept a lower than normal offers, or sometimes I'll stick something in an auction for a few bucks less than I would ordinarily feel comfortable with.

Amen!

I don't recall reading a clearer description of what the CGC Boards are all about. :golfclap:

I have one rule of thumb when posting comics for sale - how much do I have in the book? My aim is to get back what I paid (if I can) in order to buy other books as my interests change/evolve.

Sometimes I may have paid what seemed a fair price at the time, only to find that GPA has apparently dragged values downward. Or that collector interest has fallen away.

The only thing I can say for sure is that it is impossible to guess which will sell quickly, slowly, or not at all.

Most of my sales on the boards are negotiated via pm for multiple items. The wider the range of books involved, the more latitude there is to dicker.

Whether buying or selling, I can honestly say that boardies are generally a pleasure to deal with, and I've made many friends and acquaintances here in a relatively short space of time.

I find that many of the people I've interacted with here are wholely admirable, courteous and generous individuals.

It stands to reason that the best community is one based on mutual respect. There are people here who go to great lengths to preserve that!

Amen!

I don't recall reading a clearer description of what the CGC Boards are all about. :golfclap:

bow.gif

. . . If this is supposed to be a community that has a certain level of trust, why would you offer a book at an inflated price knowing that it won't sell without stating that in the post?
Incredible lack of humilty? (shrug)

Although there is no rule being violated in posting a comic book with a (don't) 'buy it now' price -- the unwritten rule of bad taste is. I find it in bad taste to post a scan of a comic you are proud to own and say 'look at me, see what I own -- oh by the way, here is the (don't) buy it now price.' :sumo:

Collecting anything involves a sense of pride. If there isn't an element of 'look at what I got', what's the point in collecting?

Deals are found here all the time. I've bought books off of boardies, that have items on ebay, for less than their BIN price because we're both boardies.

I've also paid quite a bit more than GPA from a boardie because I loved the book, but that was my choice, I knew what I was paying for. Other books that I would love to have, that I see up on the boards, I pass on because the price is too high. Thats the beauty of freedom of choice.

A book will sell for what someone is willing to pay for it regardless. I hate to sell my books but will price fairly because I have received some deals and want to pass it on to another collector.

Every book I have up for sale is priced at what I paid or below. To each their own I guess.

I'll look at guide or GPA to get an idea of what a book "should" go for.

In the end, if I want the book I'll pay what I'm comfortable paying no matter what GPA or guide may say.

Excellent point. IMO any data that we get, be it GPA, Overstreet or whatever is merely a guide. If I run across a book that I "must" have I will go far over guide. I also have no problem politely asking if a seller is willing to haggle a bit over the price if I want a book but not quite at the seller's price. If they say no, that is all part of the game and no hard feelings because I MAY buy a book from them next time :grin:

I just jumped into this thread and it seems to me that a seller can ask anything he/she would like, over priced or underpriced. It is the buyer who ultimately makes the choice.

So far I have not sold any comics here but I have purchased a couple and was very happy both times.

Amen!

Amen indeed! I have not sold anything here but if / when I do I will post them here first to give Board members a shot at them before I try and sell them elsewhere.

And I know he does not need it, but just in defense of jkrk, in my opinion his asking prices are more than fair when he posts books for sale here.