• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Has anyone ever wondered...

37 posts in this topic

I've seen a gazillion 9.8 copies of sketched blank covers, be it Avengers #1 or Marvel Projects #1 or Dark Avengers #1, but I've never seen a 9.9 or 10.0 blank cover. Of course, 9.9 and 10 copies are not easy to find to begin with, but could it be that maybe, just maybe, remarks and sketches are seen as a very very very minute flaw which knocks a grade down? Any thoughts out there?

I figured sketches-fanatics lurk the Sig Room the most, so I posted them here. Also, every artist signs on his sketches (most of the time, anyway). So I hope I'm posting in the right place.

Cheers! :)

There currently aren't any Marvels Project #1 sketch covers in 9.9 or 10.0.

Remarks or sketches are not seen as a very very very minute flaw when placed in a yellow SS label. The yellow is in fact a qualified label taking the sketch, remarks and signature into account.

All SS sketch books IMHO should receive the NG designation and be judged solely on the artwork itself. It would actually move grading times along considerably. Just slab for the authentication purposes only.

I totally agree!

I agree as well. (thumbs u

All SS sketch books IMHO should receive the NG designation and be judged solely on the artwork itself. It would actually move grading times along considerably. Just slab for the authentication purposes only.

I agree completely.

I think it's a good idea...I don't quite get how or why a 9.8 sketch cover garners that much more than a 9.6 does. The value is in the sketch, and while I understand the value of a 9.8 regular book, I don't see the point in sketch covers.

That's not to say we all don't want or hope to see sketches come back as 9.8's, as that is what people want.

In any event, I agree with the OP.

Hmmm, I'd be into that, especially if they dropped the SS fee because it's not being graded.

Really. I mean who's buying and grading blanks just to have a CGC graded blank comic with no sketch. Sayger did a book that ended up with the corner torn off and the Hulk incorporated into the sketch. It would have been nice to have had that in a slab, but who wants a 7.0 sketch cover?

I think maybe that can give the person the option...that would be the best thing. There are many collectors that only like having 9.8 sketches in their collection....and as everyone knows...a 9.8 sketch will sell for a ton more that a 8.5. Lets face it, we all want to "protect" out "investment" when we get a book CGCed...nothing wrong with that...collectors and flippers may feel this way...I mean, if this was not the case, when people put up on the WTB forum they would not always put up..."looking for 9.8/9.6 copies of blank"

But yes, some people, like myself, dont mind the grade that much...the art itself is much more important...BUT...no one can deny that awsome feeling when you obtain an amazing sketch and it comes back 9.8!!

I just think part of the COOLNESS factor would be taken away if CGC eliminated grades from sketch covers....and if you want a NG, then I would guess that it doesn't matter what the grade is...but I would be all for a NG "IF" it was an option thing, if CGC wanted a flat fee for something like that, hopefully it would be in line with the backer board encapsulating fee...

Oh I don't think anyone's saying stop grading them completely. But. it'd be a nice option. I know they'll grade the Blackest Night blanks as NG, but if given the choice between grading and NG for like 12-15 less than the $27. Then there are some sketches I'd take a NG on definitely. Jim mentioned one above (although CGC can't encapsulate pieces, I believe) and there are others that would look so much better with an NG.

Anyone remember the 7.0/7.5 Joe Simon Fallen Sons that are out there? That grade looks so ugly on what really amazing pieces.

I agree completely.

NG slabs are very large. Aty least all of the ones that I have seen.

I agree completely.

NG slabs are very large. At least all of the ones that I have seen.

It's just a label. They should be able to fit any holder CGC produces. :gossip: