• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Has anyone ever wondered...

37 posts in this topic

All SS sketch books IMHO should receive the NG designation and be judged solely on the artwork itself. It would actually move grading times along considerably. Just slab for the authentication purposes only.

I agree completely.

NG slabs are very large. At least all of the ones that I have seen.

It's just a label. They should be able to fit any holder CGC produces. :gossip:

I know. I was suprised to see the monstrousity of a slab my 1 page came in.

All SS sketch books IMHO should receive the NG designation and be judged solely on the artwork itself. It would actually move grading times along considerably. Just slab for the authentication purposes only.

That's a very interesting and valid point. This way, people will really appreciate the artwork and not bother about the grade. As it is, placing a certain grade on a blank cover will affect the financial decision a buyer and seller makes. As mentioned by others, perfectionists might shun away anything lower than a 9.8 (for instance) or feel that pricking feeling that : Arhg! I've got a damn good sketch but the only thing that's keep it from perfect is that 9.4 or 9.6 grade etc.

It's the first time I saw Stuart's Hulk but man, am I amazed by it! He damaged the book and used the damages as effects to his sketch. Unthought of by many, myself included. In this case, a NG would be appropriate for it.

I know some mention that collectors should have a choice as to whether to have their sketched blanks graded or NG, but it might lead to the perception that a NG slab probably has some defects, hence it was sent for NG submission instead of the usual SS grading.

Very interesting topic! Thanks for the inputs guys!

I agree completely.

NG slabs are very large. Aty least all of the ones that I have seen.

do you mean those backing boards that got graded bc if not i have a NG in a norm slab

it got a 9.2-9.4 i forget (got a scan of it still)

i posted it here, and after a few commints joe read them and when i called him (for an unrelated reason) he asked if i would have any prob sending this back in to be fixed to a NG bc they missed the fact the image was glued when doing on site at philly

i pay for the sketch, grade means nothing and I get them graded for the protection and COA of the SS label

SecretInvasion1MarkSparacio.jpg

I totally agree!

I have always said that....

and BTW, I have been tempted to do the above, on a few books, specially with David Michael Beck sketches...but, somehow, it seems wrong....but, I will end up doing it.... hm

It's the first time I saw Stuart's Hulk but man, am I amazed by it! He damaged the book and used the damages as effects to his sketch. Unthought of by many, myself included. In this case, a NG would be appropriate for it.

The book was already in sad shape. You can from the creases and stresses along the spine that it was in the 7.5/8.0 range before the Hulk even got a hold on the book. Judging from the book with the sketch glued on the cover, I would have been happy to have had the torn piece glued to cover and the book graded NG. However, it wasn't my book.

I like 9.8s as well as anyone, but that really isn't the point of a sketch cover, in my opinion. I can see non-sketch cover books still receiving a numerical grade, but not sketches. Ultimately, I think it limits creativity. The grade is really an after thought as every 9.6 that I have ever resubmitted has come back a 9.8 anyway.

I agree completely.

do you mean those backing boards that got graded bc if not i have a NG in a norm slab

i posted it here, and after a few commints joe read them and when i called him (for an unrelated reason) he asked if i would have any prob sending this back in to be fixed to a NG bc they missed the fact the image was glued when doing on site at philly

i pay for the sketch, grade means nothing and I get them graded for the protection and COA of the SS label

SecretInvasion1MarkSparacio.jpg

The Action #1 wraps were placed in a very large slab. They are about 1 1/2 inches wider and 1 inch longer. I am not sure why.

I agree completely.

The Action #1 wraps were placed in a very large slab. They are about 1 1/2 inches wider and 1 inch longer. I am not sure why.

oh, i thought you were talking about sketched books not those

only time i've seen them was the clink auction and didn't really pay any attention to them

What I meant was that a grade on a blank cover pretty much dictates what the book will sell for. However, if the NG gets assigned to a graded sketch, the the market alone will decide on what/how much the sketch sells for.

What I meant was that a grade on a blank cover pretty much dictates what the book will sell for. However, if the NG gets assigned to a graded sketch, the the market alone will decide on what/how much the sketch sells for.

I see. Well, this should be the case, don't you guys agree? Artwork is pretty subjective. One man's meat is another poison. So if someone likes a certain piece, he might be willing to pay a huge sum for it and vice versa. That said, I'm sure minimum prices will still be maintained cos of what artists are charging for sketching.