• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How CGC started my family and gave me my future

52 posts in this topic

A little story I'd like to share with all of you.

I'm relatively new here...so new, this is my first post.

This week marks the 2nd time I am sending CGC my books, entrusting them with my future.

You may wonder how could CGC be responsible for someone's future?

Simple.

I may not be a father yet, if not for a tough choice I made, choosing to use CGC.

My wife and I are married 7 1/2 years. When we got married, we discussed children, but we wanted to wait 5 years. Time enough to get established, buy a house, pay off our bills. Well, a little over 5 years went by and we were still talking about kids. But we had an excess of bills.

We made an investment in a purchase of Amazing Fantasy #15 earlier, and were waiting for the right time to sell. My wife, who knows nothing about comics, put a LOT of faith in me in the purchase of this book. It was a stunning copy. I thought, worst case scenario, we break even. For me, I had always wanted AF #15 my whole life. It was my 'grail' book.

I was sad to move it, but I wanted a family more than I wanted comics.

Several dealers from this area were familiar with the book, and knew it would get a high grade. Some thought I should avoid CGC and just outright move it. But the truth of the matter is, people are willing to pay something that they KNOW is certain dead-on high grade book, not take a strangers word for it.

In late March 2002, I sent in my AF #15, along with some other books. The Spider-Man movie was coming, and I knew more than ever that this was the time to sell.

The AF #15 came back with a high grade, and I began searching for a buyer. I was able to avoid Ebay entirely and find a party out of state, a gentleman with an insurance business and a love for Spider-Man. We haggled a bit and came upon a price that we were both happy with. I called him after the book arrived to make sure he and his wife were still happy with their purchase. They were indeed. They were, in fact, estatic. We were both in agreement that the book was in teriffic shape, in fact, looked better even that the grade. And it was a great grade.

The final sell price is unimportant, what is important is that we were able to pay off almost all our bills. Sadly, there was an unexpected footnote to this. My Father had passed away suddenly right before the book went to CGC. There were now additional costs to handle with a funeral. AF #15 took care of those expenses as well. My point being, my wife and I knew that had I not chose CGC to grade the book, the sell price would not have been as much...we would have still been in the hole with bills.

Skip ahead now to April 2003. My daughter is born. She is the light of my life. She will be one year old next month, and she brings my wife and I a joy that words cannot describe. I am not sure if she would be here without the sale of some good 'ol Spider-Man comics, and the help of CGC. We knew we could not afford a baby unless we took care of our debts...CGC certainly helped to do that.

So that, dear readers, is the story of how CGC helped shape my future, and helped bring my daughter Madeline into the world.

Thanks to Korey Hall, who helped walk me through the process every step of the way, and special thanks to top man Steve B.

I look forward to meeting you in person one day to say thanks!

Rich

Madeline_02_04.jpg

Thanks for the music, Chrome! 27_laughing.gif

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

Had to turn up my speakers...and the ensuing visual "I have a story..." coming from the pulpit is killing me!! 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

Tremendous story, Rich. CGC ought to use quotes from you for its' advertising in CBG and other trade pubs!

Chrome: How did you arrange the "amazing grace" seranade?

Tremendous story, Rich. CGC ought to use quotes from you for its' advertising in CBG and other trade pubs!

Chrome: How did you arrange the "amazing grace" seranade?

inserted a midi file using html code...easy

Any monkey can do it.... thumbsup2.gif

893applaud-thumb.gif Great story... gossip.gif ona side... don't let certain Brits' hatred of children keep you from showing your pride and joy off... gossip.giftongue.gif

When did Arizona become part of the UK?!! 893whatthe.gif

I guarantee you that if it was between a kid and an AF 15 in 1.0 grade (even that one with the bottom right corner eaten off by the mice) I would run out to the doctor and get the vasectomy done right away. Now if it was between one of my Bassett's live's and a 9.8 AF 15... I'd ask them to shoot me instead grin.gif

**for the record... I don't hate kids, but they are not in my future... too damn expensive**

Skip ahead now to April 2003. My daughter is born. She is the light of my life. She will be one year old next month, and she brings my wife and I a joy that words cannot describe. I am not sure if she would be here without the sale of some good 'ol Spider-Man comics, and the help of CGC. We knew we could not afford a baby unless we took care of our debts...CGC certainly helped to do that.

Congratulations, and when comparing bringing a new life into the world, against a musty old comic, there is really no comparison. No comic book is gonna wake you up on Christmas morning, try and make a grab for the B-Day cake, and just by their act of being there, fill your life with joy.

P.S. you're giving CGC too much credit, as you invested in the AF 15 in the first place, then found a good woman and had a beautiful child. All the rest is just an added bonus. thumbsup2.gif

No comic book is gonna wake you up on Christmas morning, try and make a grab for the B-Day cake, and just by their act of being there, fill your life with joy.

Granted... no comic book is every going to get hooked on cocaine, kill anyone, steal from you (well, maybe initially it will), disrespect you, blame you for everything that's ever gone wrong, throw you in a retirement home... you know... become a Professional Sports Star grin.gif

No seriously... the comic will never cry, wet the bed, nag, become a holy terror at the toy store...

I know I know.... I'm evil, misguided, dillusional, and a whole list of other things...

sorry.gif