• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Byrne/Claremont JLA

33 posts in this topic

It all boils down to this- I don't like Byrne's art as much as I used to, regardless of who inks him and when he inks himself I simply put the book down.

Is it because of the history involved or simply the work on it's own, if judged with a virgin eye, is subpar?

Jim

It all boils down to this- I don't like Byrne's art as much as I used to, regardless of who inks him and when he inks himself I simply put the book down.

Is it because of the history involved or simply the work on it's own, if judged with a virgin eye, is subpar?

It's because the work is merely good or on occasion, pedestrian. I wouldn't say subpar- he's still a good storyteller and his knowledge of the fundamentals is still leap years ahead of the majority of artists.

I still buy his work on occasion- I picked up and basically enjoyed JLA #94 for an on-topic example, but for the most part his stuff just doesn't interest me as much as any of dozens of other artists I could name.

I don't think it's a case of Byrne's art looking awful when he inks himself, it's just that his work looks BETTER when inked by another professional... like Ordway, who I thought did a great job on JLA 94.

There are some panels in that book where Byrne's pencils are barely recognizable. confused.gif

There are some panels in that book where Byrne's pencils are barely recognizable.

Since I like Ordway's art just as much as I like Byrne's I don't see that as a problem.

It's possible that Byrne's pencils were quite sketchy and Ordway had to complete them before he inked them.

Kev

There are some panels in that book where Byrne's pencils are barely recognizable.

Since I like Ordway's art just as much as I like Byrne's I don't see that as a problem.

It's possible that Byrne's pencils were quite sketchy and Ordway had to complete them before he inked them.

Kev

All I know is that the art in JLA 94 reminded me of the injustice Jim Mooney did to Byrne's pencils in ASM 189-90. 893frustrated.gif

I enjoyed the book(and will buy the rest of the run), but I felt pretty let down. frown.gif

Kev

All I know is that the art in JLA 94 reminded me of the injustice Jim Mooney did to Byrne's pencils in ASM 189-90. 893frustrated.gif

I enjoyed the book(and will buy the rest of the run), but I felt pretty let down. frown.gif

Just out of curiosity, have you seen much of JB's work recently? I didn't think you picked up many new books.

Just out of curiosity, have you seen much of JB's work recently? I didn't think you picked up many new books.

I haven't seen much of Byrne's latest offerings, but I pick-up new books every now and then.

On Sunday, I picked up the latest USM, JLA, ASM and that pirate book(El Ca...?). I've also been reading JLA/Avengers and 1602. thumbsup2.gif

I also have a subscription to Marvel that includes HULK, DD, ASM, and PPSS( Although all of them are still in their original packaging.) I had a partial subscription to USM and UXM as well.

Byrne was one of the very first artists I learned to recognize by look. Circa his FF, Alpha Flight and X-Men runs.....mid 80's. He's always had that VERY distinctive 'Byrne Face' on all of his characters, but I didn't notice it in JLA.

Is that due to the inking? otherwise, I enjoyed the fact that it was clear, in proportion to itself, recognizable characters etc.

I'm not that hard to please, but easy enough to get really bummed out by hack's like bachalo, liefeld, etc. with their proportion issues...

the artwork on the Byrne JLA is subpar. In the 90s, Byrne's artwork has been less than great. I don't care if the artist alters their style (as I'm not down on JR JR"s style as many) but I think Byrne has simply gotten looser with his pencils. Ordway is not the right inker for Byrne. It looks Jurgens/Ordway as much as Byrne/Ordway.

I'm surprised no one's commenting on just how LAME and wholly boring the storyline is. Byrne also gets the credit for this since it's primarily his plot with Claremont's scripted words.

These are two great talents long since their prime. I picked up the first issue, and I will not buy the second. I'll buy the trade when it comes out somewhere for 50%, and even then it will be a tough sell to me.

What the heck is going on? Books like Cap, JLA and Iron Man, mainstay books, have been just awful lately.

didnt take long....

JLA #94

I'm surprised no one's commenting on just how LAME and wholly boring the storyline is. Byrne also gets the credit for this since it's primarily his plot with Claremont's scripted words.

What the heck is going on? Books like Cap, JLA and Iron Man, mainstay books, have been just awful lately.

Uh, thought I did mention the retread plot earlier. If I didn't then....the plot is a retread of divide and conquer along with magic to eliminate Supes.

Also, I dropped Iron Man a year ago. I'm still picking up Cap just out of habit.