• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do dealers WANT to sell their books?

132 posts in this topic

First off, let me clearly state that I realize everything doesn't sell the moment it comes on the market. Most of the time it takes time to find the right customer for a book. I totally understand that but that's not the point of this thread so please don't point out the obvious.

The thing that has me mystified is how, after a book not moving for YEARS, a dealer continues to cling to their original price regardless of the fact that the market has clearly told them no one is paying anything close to what they're asking even when they're "flexible" on the price.

Let's say Dealer X asks $425 for a CGC 9.0 of Dominatrix Duck #3. It's unusual to find the book in high grade so Dealer X prices it at that to see what happens - which is nothing. People are interested in it but they're not paying anything close to that. So Dealer X sits on that book for an entire year with people sniffing at it but no one pulling the trigger.

Assuming that Dealer X got the book as part of a group deal and Dealer X's financial exposure is minor, why oh why does Dealer X continue the charade that the book is worth anything close to the asking price?

I don't get it. It's a horrible business model.

In retail, there's a thing called "turn" where you turn/sell things in a fixed amount of time and if you don't then you mark them down and get rid of them. Technically, you might lose money on certain items but you make enough money on others that your final profit margin is where you want to be.

What is the point of holding on to Dominatrix Duck #3 when you know it's not going to sell at that price. "Mark it down" to $250 and see if sells there and if it doesn't, keeping lowering the price until it does.

It's as though dealers are in denial.

Now, let me add, I get it if Dealer X paid $395 for the book so there isn't much room without losing money. HOWEVER, at some point you have to cut your loses and recoup some of your money.

It's not healthy for the hobby for artificial prices to be all over the place because it perpetuates a false predicate.

Or, it's possible I don't know what I'm talking about and everyone should just ignore me.

This is the simple and, most likely, answer. It happens to collectors as well. There are books I'm willing to sell but I dislike the idea of taking a loss on them. I don't "need" the money so they don't get sold.

There have been situations where formerly unloved inventory became hot and people hold onto items "just in case."

If it can't be replaced for less than the asking price, and the dealer doesn't have a problem with cash flow, why lower the price? (shrug)

I don't get the mentality of ''replacing a book'', if it sells, it sells, put the money towards something else, it's not like there aren't a million other books the dealer could buy...

If it can't be replaced for less than the asking price, and the dealer doesn't have a problem with cash flow, why lower the price? (shrug)

I don't get the mentality of ''replacing a book'', if it sells, it sells, put the money towards something else, it's not like there aren't a million other books the dealer could buy...

You need to keep titles and numbers in stock. If you sell an Amazing Spider-man #1 it isn't like buying an X-men #213 is going to adequately take its place. If you sell a certain book you need to replace it in your stock.

+1

Supply and demand. If there are no other copies of Dominatrix Duck #3 (whatever the that is) on the market, demand stands a better chance of outpacing supply. Perhaps said dealer knows this fact. Of course, their price could just be their price. (shrug)

Guessing said dealer also doesn't overreact to small bumps/drops in their stock portfolio.

+1

Supply and demand. If there are no other copies of Dominatrix Duck #3 (whatever the that is) on the market, demand stands a better chance of outpacing supply. Perhaps said dealer knows this fact. Of course, their price could just be their price. (shrug)

Guessing said dealer also doesn't overreact to small bumps/drops in their stock portfolio.

+2

If you need the cash flow, you discount, if you don't, you keep it where it is on rare books.

First off, let me clearly state that I realize everything doesn't sell the moment it comes on the market. Most of the time it takes time to find the right customer for a book. I totally understand that but that's not the point of this thread so please don't point out the obvious.

The thing that has me mystified is how, after a book not moving for YEARS, a dealer continues to cling to their original price regardless of the fact that the market has clearly told them no one is paying anything close to what they're asking even when they're "flexible" on the price.

Let's say Dealer X asks $425 for a CGC 9.0 of Dominatrix Duck #3. It's unusual to find the book in high grade so Dealer X prices it at that to see what happens - which is nothing. People are interested in it but they're not paying anything close to that. So Dealer X sits on that book for an entire year with people sniffing at it but no one pulling the trigger.

Assuming that Dealer X got the book as part of a group deal and Dealer X's financial exposure is minor, why oh why does Dealer X continue the charade that the book is worth anything close to the asking price?

In retail, there's a thing called "turn" where you turn/sell things in a fixed amount of time and if you don't then you mark them down and get rid of them. Technically, you might lose money on certain items but you make enough money on others that your final profit margin is where you want to be.

What is the point of holding on to Dominatrix Duck #3 when you know it's not going to sell at that price. "Mark it down" to $250 and see if sells there and if it doesn't, keeping lowering the price until it does.

Now, let me add, I get it if Dealer X paid $395 for the book so there isn't much room without losing money. HOWEVER, at some point you have to cut your loses and recoup some of your money.

It's not healthy for the hobby for artificial prices to be all over the place because it perpetuates a false predicate.

Or, it's possible I don't know what I'm talking about and everyone should just ignore me.

Good questions. Let us know how Steve, Vinnie and Brian Peets respond.

Good questions. Let us know how Steve, Vinnie and Brian Peets respond.

Or Harley Yee.

Your logic is sound, but you have a flaw in your reasoning.

Selling higher value back issue comics, like with any collectible, is not the same as selling retail.

Retail in our business is new comics and merchandise...order product in quantity, place it on the shelf, sell, reorder, repeat, until such time as something new comes along which warrants that shelf space. Then, if the original product hasn't sold out, make the decision whether or not to discount to move it out. It is a constant "turn" of product and cash flow.

Collectible comics, in inventory terms, are generally one of a kind. And they are subject to many different factors (cost, replacement cost, value gained through advertising, etc.) which allow them to be handled differently than other generic retail items. As an example...someone comes into the store for the first time and sees that we have an AF 15 in stock. They have no intention of ever buying one, but the fact that we have one and they can actually hold it is worth an untold amount. That can't be accurately reflected as an expense when figuring any bottom line retail profit/loss.

You need to keep titles and numbers in stock. If you sell an Amazing Spider-man #1 it isn't like buying an X-men #213 is going to adequately take its place. If you sell a certain book you need to replace it in your stock.

I'm not talking selling a thousand dollar book and replacing it with a thousand one dollar books... There are a million other thousand dollar books out there. Most of the crazy prices are greed motivated and not logic motivated. Most of these guys already have multiples of key books (which are usually all overpriced). I'd be more shocked to see multiples of non-keys in a bin than keys on a wall.

And what business DOESNT need cash flow? Is it really that much easier to sell a hundred books at a dollar vs one that you discount by a hundred to someone who obviously wants it (especially when you probably paid pennies on the dollar for it)? Nope I just don't get it.

Is it really that much easier to sell a hundred books at a dollar vs one that you discount by a hundred to someone who obviously wants it (especially when you probably paid pennies on the dollar for it)? Nope I just don't get it.

How badly does the person really want it if they can't pony up an extra hundred dollars for it?

If I really want a book, I'll look around for the best price. If that is a hundred more than I can afford, I'll ask if we can do time payments. Worse comes to worse, go deliver pizza's two nites and you got the money you need for the book you really wanted.

If they don't need money, why schlep boxes across the country to go to shows? Why even be in the comic business?

The only advantage I can assume is probably some fiscal thing where the inflated value of their inventory is a tax-deductible at the end of the year or something, in which case I could see why NOT selling is the way to go...

If they don't need money, why schlep boxes across the country to go to shows? Why even be in the comic business?

The only advantage I can assume is probably some fiscal thing where the inflated value of their inventory is a tax-deductible at the end of the year or something, in which case I could see why NOT selling is the way to go...

Are you just making this stuff up as you type? Obviously you know nothing about the secret world of comic dealers, the big round table at Comic Con, the special signs which enable you to great "dealer" discounts, nor the comraderie one gets from being in The Brotherhood or The Guild.

No one schelps boxes all over the country. The big dealers maintain show stocks in the spare bedrooms of their various weekend homes. It's a social circuit. Summers in San Diego, a jaunt to New York in the fall, Chi-town in the Spring.

Are you just making this stuff up as you type? Obviously you know nothing about the secret world of comic dealers, the big round table at Comic Con, the special signs which enable you to great "dealer" discounts, nor the comraderie one gets from being in The Brotherhood or The Guild.

No one schelps boxes all over the country. The big dealers maintain show stocks in the spare bedrooms of their various weekend homes. It's a social circuit. Summers in San Diego, a jaunt to New York in the fall, Chi-town in the Spring.

And don't forget the lackeys (thumbs u

oy gevalt!!

I'm not talking about key books! I'm talking about one of those 126,243,355 OTHER comics that people buy that aren't an AF#15, TEC#27, TOS#39, etc.

Lemme just pick something at random........

Let's say a More Fun Comics #115 CGC 9.2 that's priced $675. Are there people who buys these? Sure. But what if NONE of those people will pay anything close to that price? What is the point of holding onto that book year after year and show after show when the market has told you, loud and clear, WE WON'T PAY THAT MUCH!

At some point, I would think, a dealer would say: "OK, it's time to get rid of this book - let's drop the price." Dealers want to sell books, not be a traveling museum.

Once again, for those who haven't been paying attention, I'm NOT talking about "hot" books or titles that turn at guide or close to it. I'm talking about the countless OTHER books that people will buy if dealers would ignore what Overstreet says and sell the books for what the MARKET will pay.

I stand corrected (worship)