• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Remembering November 18th, 1992

185 posts in this topic

So we are two days from 18 years since the "Death" of Superman, and the madness that came from this event. I was watching a documentary where the original creative team was interviewed, and even now they get chocked up over the material. But they also discussed the death threats they received from fanatical fans.

What's your feelings on this event?

Do you feel betrayed due to the gimmick of it all?

I had a box at a comic shop that was setup inside the local Woolworth's (go figure). The owner had a copy pulled and put in my box. The lines were amazing and people at school (high school at the time) were SHOCKED that I was able to get a copy. They all thought I was going to get rich! lol

I remember watching the hyperbole on the news! Like most, I was out of comics within 6 months but the hype around this book won't be forgotten.

I remember watching the hyperbole on the news! Like most, I was out of comics within 6 months but the hype around this book won't be forgotten.

[font:Arial Black]November 18th, 1992

WE WILL NEVER FORGET[/font]

:roflmao:

It's one of the events that actually made me quit buying comic books for over a decade. The other would be Knightfall. To this day I will not buy a mainstream super hero comic, and am extremely unlikely to buy an indy or alternative super hero comic (I do read Empowered and Kick ) because of it.

I think the only superhero related books I was reading at the time were Next Men and the Dark Horse Nexus mini series'. I had already given up on the big two. I did buy Pitt #1 that month.

I always thought Superman was kinda lame, and just sort of looked on in amusement as people made such a big deal of it.

I wasn't a Superman fan either, and only owned maybe four issues before that. I just thought D.C. had megaballs for killing off their most iconic character ever. And then Batman being crippled at the same time. I thought super hero comics would never be the same. Instead they were the same within three issues. That didn't make me turn on comics, it was just the straw that broke the camel's back. I was about to be a teenager. I had other interests, very limited funds, and was just growing out of it altogether. But at that moment I "woke up" I guess, to what garbage I was reading. Not Superman, I didn't read Superman. It just woke me up to X-Men, Spider-Man, Batman, and any other super hero comic I was reading. They had all changed right around then.

This book was released on Nov 20, 1992. Comics were released on FRIDAY, not WEDNESDAY, until the distributor wars of the mid 90's.

(thumbs u

You know, we've already had this discussion, and I put images up from newspapers dated November 18 that talk about the book being released that day. I love you man, but you're wrong here.

Superman75news.jpg

More

This book was released on Nov 20, 1992. Comics were released on FRIDAY, not WEDNESDAY, until the distributor wars of the mid 90's.

(thumbs u

You know, we've already had this discussion, and I put images up from newspapers dated November 18 that talk about the book being released that day. I love you man, but you're wrong here.

Exactly! The book was released on November 18th (Wednesday).

An excerpt from an article written on how this comic attracted collectors outside of the hobby.

November 18, 1992. The day Superman #75 was finally released. Over the course of the next few days' people who had never even dreamt of walking into a comic store were standing in line waiting to buy their copy. On Friday November 20 eighty people were standing outside of Cap's Comic Cavalcade in Allentown, Pennsylvania before the store opened. Dan Walter, owner of Cap's had ordered more than three thousand copies of the comic, which was about 100 times the normal amount he usually ordered. Fans who didn't normally collect the book scrambled for a copy. It was a genuine media event and what seemed like the whole world was getting involved, even Saturday Night Live, which put on a skit featuring the funeral of Superman.

Even watching the Superman: Doomsday DVD special feature "The World Was Watching," Ryan Liebowitz (GM, Golden Apple Comics) and Ron Hill (Director of Operations, Jim Hanley's Universe) talk about what the experience was like for retailers on November 18th, 1992, and how Jim Hanley's alone sold out 10,000 copies the first day, and people were lined up outside the stores like never before.

(thumbs u