• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Remembering November 18th, 1992

185 posts in this topic

By the time superman died , chromium foil covers had fried my retinas so i never saw the all black cover.

Can I point out that the very same day (whether the 18th, 19th, or 20th) that Supes #75 came out was also the very first time a book with "chromium" came out? Bloodshot #1?

No....?

Fair enough. Back to the regularly scheduled show. :)

:o

Something this promising should not be wasted on one little area of the forum.

I'm perfectly willing to accept that they were out Nov 18 some places, if YOU will acept that it was out Nov 20 in others.

(thumbs u

Of course I agree with this. What you posted now is a big step forward from your original statement that Superman 75 was never released on the 18th.

:applause: (thumbs u

lol

You're quoting Chainnball, who I love dearly, but he can't remember what he had for BREAKFAST, much less events from 18+ years ago....

:sorry:

I need to pick my references more wisely in the future.

lol

And though there is some foul language used in this summary video from Max Landis, you get a funny summary of the pre, present, and post events all tied into the Superman "death" marketing effort.

Enjoy!

Never read DC except for Vertigo so I didnt care.

I read the trade awhile later and thought it was super lame.

I thought it should have been a lot more epic. I imagined that there would be a lot more collateral damage from the epic fight. It just wasnt what I imagined so I was pretty dissapointed in how pedestrian it seemed. This is probably why I wasnt into DC comics in the first place.

So we are two days from 18 years since the "Death" of Superman, and the madness that came from this event. I was watching a documentary where the original creative team was interviewed, and even now they get chocked up over the material. But they also discussed the death threats they received from fanatical fans.

What's your feelings on this event?

Do you feel betrayed due to the gimmick of it all?

I know we are way beyond this discussion, but it got bumped and I was surprised at how long ago that was it happened.

I recall everyone at the comic shop I worked at thought it was totally gimmicky, but felt it was a decent comic - I didn't read the lead-up, so I can't comment on the overall story. I mean, really - there's only a few ways to do a true "heroes death" and that one pretty much hit the mark, IMHO. I recall some journalistic discussion regarding Jimmy Olson taking pictures instead being shocked at Supes death.

I remember helping the owner open up the Diamond (or Capital City, I don't recall which) box and pull it out - it was kinda cool after hearing all the hype to actually have the book in-hand.

Lots and lots of non-collectors came in asking about the book - we had one or two extras that went on the shelf and that was it (my boss was pretty short-sighted on buying "extra" books that didn't go into people's pull orders). Just in our area, it went from cover price to $25 in a week. It never got to that $75 mark I heard about elsewhere, but it was very hot for quite awhile (at least 6 months).

Superman 74 had a 3rd Printing

Superman 75 had a 4th Printing

Superman 76 had a 2nd Printing

Superman 77 had a 3rd Printing

MOS 17 had a 2nd Printing

MOS 18 had a 5th Printing

MOS 19 had a 2nd Printing

Action Comics 684 had a 3rd Printing

Action Comics 685 had a 3rd Printing

Action Comics 686 had a 2nd Printing

Adventures of Superman 496 had a 2nd Printing

Adventures of Superman 497 had a 3rd Printing

Adventures of Superman 498 had a 3rd Printing

Don't forget Justice League America #69. That had four printings.

Wow, those were wild days!

:bump:

Someone had asked about Death of Superman printings.

Since there are enough threads popping up about the "Death of" series, and the love for these books (or love of the prices), it's time to celebrate again soon.

:ohnoez:21 years - WOW! :ohnoez:

So whether you celebrate the East Coast first release, or as it was distributed in your area across the world, bring out your "Death of" stories and hoards.

:cloud9:

I had people at work asking me to get them copies that didn't collect comics, but watched Superman growing up they wanted to know how it ended.

Now can the argument be made the Superman sales never recovered from it, or were sales that low back then that it has overall succeeded in making Supes more relevant again? I am not a huge DC fan so I cant answer that question would hope some others could.

Personally after 20 years I think Batman has past him easily as DCs flag ship now. Just in sales alone Batman has been killing him for years now.