• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Remembering November 18th, 1992

185 posts in this topic

This book was released on Nov 20, 1992. Comics were released on FRIDAY, not WEDNESDAY, until the distributor wars of the mid 90's.

(thumbs u

You know, we've already had this discussion, and I put images up from newspapers dated November 18 that talk about the book being released that day. I love you man, but you're wrong here.

Superman75news.jpg

More

Don't care what the paper says. Papers.....ESPECIALLY concerning comics events...are notoriously fact-deficient.

I was there. I remember the day. I worked for a distributor. I had to haul my butt around to all the stores he serviced. You don't forget chaos like that.

New comics were placed on sale on FRIDAY in those days, NOT Wednesday.

This book was released on Nov 20, 1992. Comics were released on FRIDAY, not WEDNESDAY, until the distributor wars of the mid 90's.

(thumbs u

You know, we've already had this discussion, and I put images up from newspapers dated November 18 that talk about the book being released that day. I love you man, but you're wrong here.

Exactly! The book was released on November 18th (Wednesday).

An excerpt from an article written on how this comic attracted collectors outside of the hobby.

November 18, 1992. The day Superman #75 was finally released. Over the course of the next few days' people who had never even dreamt of walking into a comic store were standing in line waiting to buy their copy. On Friday November 20 eighty people were standing outside of Cap's Comic Cavalcade in Allentown, Pennsylvania before the store opened.

Check this out, cupcake: ON FRIDAY. The book was an INSTANT sellout. It didn't sit in stores for two days, and THEN sell out. It was a sell out THE DAY IT CAME OUT. Now, it's possible that those 80 people missed the boat...but I think not. It came and went so fast, there were really only lines on the ONE day.

Now...if Roger Stern and the rest of the DC crew are talking about when the book left Diamond and Capital...Heroes, et al...then yes, it quite possibly was "released" on Wednesday, according to THEIR figuring.

HOWEVER...they would have been shipped out (Fed Exed, I imagine) to LOCAL distribution centers on Wednesday, arriving Thusday AM, picked up by retailers on THURSDAY, and placed on sale on FRIDAY. I sat on Thursday night looking at 400 copies in front of me, that would be distributed (since I worked for a regional distributor, a common thing in those days) to HIS customers (mostly sports card dealers) the next AM, which I did.

I was there. I remember the day.

:roflmao:

The argument you always rally against - "I was there" - and you used it? Nice!

We better work on a press release correction for all the folks that state it ocurred on November 18th, as they all have it wrong.

:eyeroll:

Now...if Roger Stern and the rest of the DC crew are talking about when the book left Diamond and Capital...Heroes, et al...then yes, it quite possibly was "released" on Wednesday, according to THEIR figuring.

Cupcake! :cloud9:

Honestly, I would like to lock this down for common knowledge rather than worthless debate.

So why would so many refer to November 18th as a release date (including major comic distributors) if this is wrong? I remember there were massive reorders submitted which in most cases went unfilled.

Is November 18th the press release date to make the news final, and the 20th was the real distribution date? It just doesn't sound right if articles were already discussing massive sales.

Unlike most people on here, this event is what got me started in collecting comics. I had always been a huge fan of Superman, but never really collected comics.

I was in our downtown area with my mom while she was shopping and we walked by a comic shop with ads all over the windows about the Death of Superman. I had never been in a comic shop prior to that day. I told her that I would like to go in and see what it was all about and bought some back issues along with #75 and I was hooked.

I know a ton of people hate this whole storyline but I found it to be very interesting and still to this day love it. :sorry:

So we are two days from 18 years since the "Death" of Superman, and the madness that came from this event. I was watching a documentary where the original creative team was interviewed, and even now they get chocked up over the material. But they also discussed the death threats they received from fanatical fans.

What's your feelings on this event?

Do you feel betrayed due to the gimmick of it all?

Do you happen to remember where you saw the documentary? I would love to watch it.

Do you happen to remember where you saw the documentary? I would love to watch it.

Bryan, if you don't have the DVD "Superman: Doomsday," check with your local library.

There are three features that focus on the story development, the impact to the industry, and then the aftermath of the event. It just so happens they have film footage from the storyline development meetings that took place leading up to the "death of" issue.

I found it quite interesting.

Hey Nerdco....

(thumbs u <---this is the cherry on a FOAD pie. If you fail to understand what that means, ask Sal. It is, by no means, used "passive/aggressively" in this case. You should probably learn the difference.

(thumbs u

Sorry everyone. My son needs my attention, and just has a funny way of showing it.

Son (pats on head), let's get back to the other thread and finish our discussion. I'll try and guide you.

Bryan, if you don't have the DVD "Superman: Doomsday," check with your local library.

There are three features that focus on the story development, the impact to the industry, and then the aftermath of the event. It just so happens they have film footage from the storyline development meetings that took place leading up to the "death of" issue.

Thanks!

I do have it but have not watched the features yet. I will check them out. :)

Just a thought. (And keep in mind that I'm just a foreigner who always gets his new comics 10-15 days after they're released in the States, so it's entirely possible I have no idea what I'm talking about.)

Is there any chance that the book was released in news stands on Wednesday and in comic stores on Friday? (shrug)

Just a thought. (And keep in mind that I'm just a foreigner who always gets his new comics 10-15 days after they're released in the States, so it's entirely possible I have no idea what I'm talking about.)

Is there any chance that the book was released in news stands on Wednesday and in comic stores on Friday? (shrug)

Good question. :popcorn:

Good question. :popcorn:

More likely that it was released at different times across the country since there was no monopoly on distribution at the time.

Unlike most people on here, this event is what got me started in collecting comics. I had always been a huge fan of Superman, but never really collected comics.

I was in our downtown area with my mom while she was shopping and we walked by a comic shop with ads all over the windows about the Death of Superman. I had never been in a comic shop prior to that day. I told her that I would like to go in and see what it was all about and bought some back issues along with #75 and I was hooked.

I know a ton of people hate this whole storyline but I found it to be very interesting and still to this day love it. :sorry:

I'm in the same minority. I even purchased a plat ed. roughly 2 weeks ago because of the nostalgic memories I have from this event

I believe, and I could be wrong, but you could get books at LCS's before news stands. I think you could get it early also. Similar to Comicdonna's post. hm

Thanks!

I do have it but have not watched the features yet. I will check them out. :)

I WAS THERE Saturday morning and it was in my pull box.

And I watched the DVD from NETFLIX . Looks like it is on the instant queue at the moment as well.