• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Remembering November 18th, 1992

185 posts in this topic

Since there are enough threads popping up about the "Death of" series, and the love for these books (or love of the prices), it's time to celebrate again soon.

:ohnoez:21 years - WOW! :ohnoez:

So whether you celebrate the East Coast first release, or as it was distributed in your area across the world, bring out your "Death of" stories and hoards.

:cloud9:

I was late to this party, I didn't catch on until I saw the Death of Superman TPB at a grocery store in early 1994. I was 11, I had heard about the "Death" of Superman, I remember seeing the different Fossil watches commemorating the event at the mall. One watch came in a phone booth and had the classic Superman on the face, another had the four S logos from Reign of the Supermen. I had also seen the Saturday Night Live sketch of Superman's funeral, Chris Farley was the Hulk. The Fossil Watches and the SNL skit planted the seeds, I also vaguely remember seeing a commercial with a Metropolis news anchor announcing a contest where you had to select who the real Superman was out of the four.

Getting the TPS in '94 started me on Superman and comics, from there I wanted to collect the individual issues, I found most of them at Toys "R" Us in the various shrink-wrap multi-packs they had. From there I learned of the difference between the multiple printings, leading to the quest for the first prints.

Dan Jurgens' version of Superman is one of my favorites art wise, this is all because of the Death of Superman TPB. I did manage to find all the Funeral issues not long after getting the TPB, I'm not gonna lie, Pa Kent's flashbacks and heart attack had me chocked up.

I finally acquired a nice CGC copy for the first printing of #75, I can't wait to get it. I waited for the right time and price for this, I've spent enough on this storyline over the years! I'm also working on the Death and Return of Superman Omnibus right now. I still like this story and I'm proud to be apart of the large group of comic collectors who are now in their early 30s and credit this storyline for starting them on collecting comics.

What's more interesting is the books still on the shelf. Obviously 2nd or 3rd printings of MOS #17 and #18 and Bloodshot #1. lol

doh!

Totally missed the Bloodshot 1s in the picture. I remember picking up mine at the store, and the dealer wanting to know if I wanted to sell my Superman 75.

Nobody asked to buy my Bloodshot 1s.

:cry:

The reality is plain: according to DC (and who would know better than the publisher?) the OFFICIAL release date for Robin III #1 was Friday, Nov 6.

There's no reason for there to be any difference a mere two weeks later.

The official, "on the street" date, according to the publisher, is Friday, Nov 20, NOT Wednesday, Nov 18. That some sold sooner than that was a symptom of the overlapping, confused distribution system then in place.

Too bad there was no (real) internet then...I should have made an offer to the distributor I worked for for all 400 copies I saw before my very eyes on Thursday night, before I was sent off to distribute them. I didn't get a single one of those copies. :cry: (I got mine from my pull at my LCS.)

Looks like that "single day" wasn't really a single day...

hm

Many, many pages back there was a discussion about a sweeping release that kicked off on November 18th, 1992. The intent of a "Sweeping release" means it started in one area, and then over time came to other markets.

So far, there has been only one person dismissing a November 18th release date. Even Flying Donut tried to explain that November 18th really happened by posting the article showing this date. And there are many news articles, books (including Roger Stern's "The Death and Life of Superman"), TV interviews and much more that discuss this all kicked off on November 18, 1992. Even COMICHRON references John Jackson Miller and his article about the $30 million day. That day ended up being November 18th, 1992.

Why is that so hard to accept? It doesn't dismiss the West Coast having a November 20, 1992, release date.

Looks like that "single day" wasn't really a single day...

hm

Many, many pages back there was a discussion about a sweeping release that kicked off on November 18th, 1992. The intent of a "Sweeping release" means it started in one area, and then over time came to other markets.

So far, there has been only one person dismissing a November 18th release date. Even Flying Donut tried to explain that November 18th really happened by posting the article showing this date. And there are many news articles, books (including Roger Stern's "The Death and Life of Superman"), TV interviews and much more that discuss this all kicked off on November 18, 1992. Even COMICHRON references John Jackson Miller and his article about the $30 million day. That day ended up being November 18th, 1992.

Why is that so hard to accept? It doesn't dismiss the West Coast having a November 20, 1992, release date.

I don't see anyone dismissing a Nov 18th release. To whom are you referring?

Although I'm not quite sure how Miller can make the claim that there was a $30 million dollar DAY, when good chunks of the market didn't have access to the book(s) yet, unless he means the generic "release day", rather than a specific date.

A "sweeping release" would demonstrate intent and planning. That was certainly not the case in the comics distribution market at the time. That it ended up being a "sweeping release" was pure chance, and not any actual co-ordination on the part of the distributors.

PS. Comichron IS John Jackson Miller's website. So, I'm not surprised he references himself.

:bump:

This book was released on Nov 20, 1992. Comics were released on FRIDAY, not WEDNESDAY, until the distributor wars of the mid 90's.

(thumbs u

One person religiously stating November 18th never happened. So I guess I would be referring to you since you posted the Robin book to once again prove November 18th (Wednesday) never happened.

I don't see anyone dismissing a Nov 18th release. To whom are you referring?

Although I'm not quite sure how Miller can make the claim that there was a $30 million dollar DAY, when good chunks of the market didn't have access to the book(s) yet, unless he means the generic "release day", rather than a specific date.

A "sweeping release" would demonstrate intent and planning. That was certainly not the case in the comics distribution market at the time. That it ended up being a "sweeping release" was pure chance, and not any actual co-ordination on the part of the distributors.

PS. Comichron IS John Jackson Miller's website. So, I'm not surprised he references himself.

And I totally agree with you. It most probably was not meant to be released in regional stages. But it appears it was.

As far as JJM owning the site, good to know. But he is also a published author that researches and writes about our comic book hobby. And since that site has become a solid research tool, it would make sense he wouldn't talk of a "$30 million day" without much research.

:bump:

This book was released on Nov 20, 1992. Comics were released on FRIDAY, not WEDNESDAY, until the distributor wars of the mid 90's.

(thumbs u

One person religiously stating November 18th never happened. So I guess I would be referring to you since you posted the Robin book to once again prove November 18th (Wednesday) never happened.

Oh, come on Bosco, let's please not start down this silly road yet again.

You need to read the whole thread again. Then you will see that EVERYONE (including me, and including you), in the course of the thread, comes to the realization that there wasn't a SINGLE release date for this book, but that it came out over the course of several days, some on Wednesday, some on Thursday, and some on Friday.

The purpose of posting the Robin picture was to demonstrate that, according to the PUBLISHER, the OFFICIAL "on the street" release date was Nov 20. That does not, in any way, change the fact that the book was released in some areas on the 18th, 19th, etc. That it was the official release date does not therefore "prove" that the "18th never happened", nor was that my intent as you claim.

No one was "religiously" saying anything, and people are allowed to change their minds as new information comes to light. That's what discussion is for. Characterizing my statements as "religious", and quoting me and calling me "one person" is disingenuous.

Please...let's not go down this road yet again. It's a tired old road, and there are much better ones, don't you think?

:wishluck:

Please...let's not go down this road yet again. It's a tired old road, and there are much better ones, don't you think?

Agreed. It is a tired old road. Even a master researcher can be mistaken. November 18th happened, as did November 20th.

It is what it is. Saying otherwise won't change history. So let's move on to other topics.

Agreed. It is a tired old road. Even a master researcher can be mistaken. November 18th happened, as did November 20th.

It is what it is. Saying otherwise won't change history. So let's move on to other topics.

That's correct. Saying otherwise won't change history. And claiming other people say otherwise when they don't also doesn't change history.

And even a master researcher can be correct, but still come to a different conclusion in light of further information.

So how's about we abandon this whole "RMA is trying to say Nov 18th never happened" thing you have going, huh...?

By the way, Bosco...

After re-reading the thread myself, I see I referred to you as "cupcake." I know I used other such terms as well in other places.

I said it solely to get under your skin. It did not advance the discussion, and was meant only to irritate. It was wrong, and I apologize.

:foryou:

By the way, Bosco...

After re-reading the thread myself, I see I referred to you as "cupcake." I know I used other such terms as well in other places.

I said it solely to get under your skin. It did not advance the discussion, and was meant only to irritate. It was wrong, and I apologize.

Thank you! That does mean something.

Crazy Brett Breeding was the cousin of one of the soldiers I served with. Unfortunately, he was many states away or I would have hoped to meet him. I would hear about all the artwork he had around his apartment at the time.

mU9z65t.jpg

Did anyone get the chance to pick up one of these t-shirts he is holding?

By the way, Bosco...

:golfclap:

By the way, Bosco...

:golfclap:

It was a nice surprise for the day.

Man, what a crazy time.

Funniest quote (that is in all the comic docs) is the one from a lady buying multiple copies of the book in order to send her daughter through medical school.

I had a bad experience about this, and went to the LCS to get my issue that I had reserved and was supposed to be set aside for me, only to find it not there. The owner told me he sold it to someone else for $25, and said he couldn't afford to hold that comic for anyone (I wasn't exactly buying a lot of Moderns back then, like none).

If it had actually been an important book I would have immediately dragged his fat outside and beat him senseless, but whatever I did (I *might* have threatened him :insane:) he quickly produced a black polybag copy that he sold me at cover.

But I never went back there and I laughed the day that jerk went bankrupt. And people wonder why so many comic shops went out of business in the '90's. doh!

Man, what a crazy time.

Funniest quote (that is in all the comic docs) is the one from a lady buying multiple copies of the book in order to send her daughter through medical school.

I had a bad experience about this, and went to the LCS to get my issue that I had reserved and was supposed to be set aside for me, only to find it not there. The owner told me he sold it to someone else for $25, and said he couldn't afford to hold that comic for anyone (I wasn't exactly buying a lot of Moderns back then, like none).

If it had actually been an important book I would have immediately dragged his fat outside and beat him senseless, but whatever I did (I *might* have threatened him :insane:) he quickly produced a black polybag copy that he sold me at cover.

But I never went back there and I laughed the day that jerk went bankrupt. And people wonder why so many comic shops went out of business in the '90's. doh!

Went to my LCS to get a reserve copy and was informed that the book was reserved for no one! lol

I never actually owned this comic until sometime in 2006 when I broke down and paid $$ to buy a copy off a board member. What a load of when you tell your weekly customers that your less important than those moms who run to the store and bought 4 copies for their son that day who could care less about superheroes. Apparently those moms didn't come back bi-weekly now did they?

THIS is why the industry went belly up.

What a load of when you tell your weekly customers that your less important than those moms who run to the store and bought 4 copies for their son that day who could care less about superheroes. Apparently those moms didn't come back bi-weekly now did they?

THIS is why the industry went belly up.

Yep, a $25 one-time sale or cover price to a loyal customer of years.

Then again, if LCS owners had a brain, they'd be millionaires long ago. The ones I knew had a lots of "bad habits" like gambling, hookers or drugs, and all those nearly-free vintage books that walked into their stores quickly found their way to the track or poker tables.

Yep, a $25 one-time sale or cover price to a loyal customer of years.

Then again, if LCS owners had a brain, they'd be millionaires long ago. The ones I knew had a lots of "bad habits" like gambling, hookers or drugs, and all those nearly-free vintage books that walked into their stores quickly found their way to the track or poker tables.

Dealers most probably assumed the good times would never end, so some just saw it as a seller's market. Buyers were so desperate to purchase multiples of new books, most were at the mercy of their LCS.

A very shortsighted approach to maintaining a loyal customer base to get you through the bad times and good.

:(

John Jackson Miller's summary of the times really rings true how that shortsightedness impacted the hobby.

But it was The Death of Superman, a storyline in DC Comics titles, that was the watershed. Promoted heavily by the publisher as a major news event, it evidently caught many networks on a slow news day. On Nov. 17, 1992, DC shipped between 2.5 million and 3 million copies of Superman #75. They vanished from stores, as the issue brought more new customers into comics stores than ever before. In Detroit alone, more than 175,000 copies sold in one day. Retailers couldnt keep up with demand, and some hiked prices that day as high as $30 on the copies they had left. Price resistance was nowhere to be found, and customers unable to buy copies bought whatever else they could find. The few thousand retailers shared in what may well have been a $30 million day for the comics industry.

Understandably, perspective became difficult to come by.

Such gimmicks as signed-and-numbered comics, zero issues, comics with premiums, and comics with special-effect covers were introduced by publishers to meet this new demand for specialty items, the net effect really only being an increase in price that lingered long after the gimmicks were gone. Meanwhile, such cable shopping channels as the Home Shopping Network and QVC began selling these enhanced comics at high prices to a consumer base that really didnt know much about the products.

Speculators turned their attention to new products as quickly as they could hit the market — turning their attentions from Image to DC to Marvel to Valiant to Defiant and back again so quickly that retailers couldnt keep up. New companies hit the market with little information, and many were talked of by speculators as the next big thing even before they went to press. At least one price guide was found to be printing after-market prices on comic books that hadnt even been published yet.

As before, the glut of new comic books – more than 700 per month by mid-1993 — eventually strangled the life out of the speculator boom. Next big things Majestic, Dagger, Triumphant, and others failed to capture the same lightning, and speculators began to leave the hobby in droves, often leaving retailers with heaps of unsold material. Other non-speculators — long-time fans — left for other reasons. The quality of comics in general had suffered during the glut, and the perceived entertainment value declined as the price of paper skyrocketed in 1994.

Whatever the causes, the effect on retailers was a disaster. Reports said that close to 1,000 of the stores which had appeared to meet the additional demand had closed in the first quarter of 1994. Survivors tightened orders considerably, and by 1995 little remained of the speculator market for new comic books.

And the shame is I really liked what Majestic Comics was doing, from Legacy #0 on. The problem was it was owned by a card company that wanted to use the comic books to generate more card business. So they primarily focused on imagery after the first few issues. Though Legacy lasted only a few issues anyway.

I really wish that dead universe would make a comeback one day.