• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Remembering November 18th, 1992

185 posts in this topic

Just a thought. (And keep in mind that I'm just a foreigner who always gets his new comics 10-15 days after they're released in the States, so it's entirely possible I have no idea what I'm talking about.)

Is there any chance that the book was released in news stands on Wednesday and in comic stores on Friday? (shrug)

Good question. :popcorn:

More likely that it was released at different times across the country since there was no monopoly on distribution at the time.

This probably is the answer, as RMA was in California and I was in North Carolina at the time.

Just a thought. (And keep in mind that I'm just a foreigner who always gets his new comics 10-15 days after they're released in the States, so it's entirely possible I have no idea what I'm talking about.)

Is there any chance that the book was released in news stands on Wednesday and in comic stores on Friday? (shrug)

More likely that it was released at different times across the country since there was no monopoly on distribution at the time.

This is probably the scenario, though it makes little sense for the newspaper to have stated "nationwide", unless they were fed that through DC.

Unfortunately, I took no pictures, and have no other documentation. In hindsight, I probably should have been tracking the release dates of EVERY book on the shelves. Oh well.

No. Back then (I do not know if this is true any longer), newsstand copies showed up 2-3 weeks after the direct copies did. I have no idea why this was so, but it sure helped me score big on Superman #50s. I remember buying all they had at a Pak n' Save in Dublin, CA round about Christmas, 1990.

Wow.

20 years.

Unlike most people on here, this event is what got me started in collecting comics. I had always been a huge fan of Superman, but never really collected comics.

I was in our downtown area with my mom while she was shopping and we walked by a comic shop with ads all over the windows about the Death of Superman. I had never been in a comic shop prior to that day. I told her that I would like to go in and see what it was all about and bought some back issues along with #75 and I was hooked.

I know a ton of people hate this whole storyline but I found it to be very interesting and still to this day love it. :sorry:

I'm in the same minority. I even purchased a plat ed. roughly 2 weeks ago because of the nostalgic memories I have from this event

Awesomest new user name in months.

No. Back then (I do not know if this is true any longer), newsstand copies showed up 2-3 weeks after the direct copies did. I have no idea why this was so, but it sure helped me score big on Superman #50s. I remember buying all they had at a Pak n' Save in Dublin, CA round about Christmas, 1990.

Wow.

20 years.

I thought it might. Because it makes more sense this way.

Actually, it's even worse here! Newsstands get the books almost two months after they arrive in comic stores (which is already a couple of weeks behind the US). I had a nice newsstand ride when Wolverine #166 was out (remember the "origin panel"). Got more than 50 copies which I ended up selling for ridiculous profit before that bubble burst.

I still got a couple left, I think.

Actually, it's even worse here! Newsstands get the books almost two months after they arrive in comic stores (which is already a couple of weeks behind the US). I had a nice newsstand ride when Wolverine #166 was out (remember the "origin panel"). Got more than 50 copies which I ended up selling for ridiculous profit before that bubble burst.

Talk about having a crystal ball with a two-month future view. I bet it becomes crazy when a book heats up quickly and the newsstands arrive.

:eek: and :whee: at the same time.

Talk about having a crystal ball with a two-month future view. I bet it becomes crazy when a book heats up quickly and the newsstands arrive.

:eek: and :whee: at the same time.

The last book that there was time to do it here on was Cap 25. I got about 10 of them off the newsstand from Meijer.

My story with Superman #75...

a local shop was offering to hold copies of all the "Death" storyline issues to anyone that wanted a subscription to them, so I signed up for them. Once the books started shooting up in price, that same shop claimed they couldn't fill the pre-orders, but then later had the books on their wall at jacked up prices. Needless to say, I never went back to that shop, and I know they were an early casualty when the comics market went south later. Show no loyalty to your customers and they'll show none to you.

My Dad, buying into all the hype and knowing I didn't have the books, bought me three copies of the bagged Superman #75. He paid $30 for each copy. I still have these books and will never sell them, not just because I'll never recoup the money he spent, but mainly because he cared enough about me to go out and buy them.

My $0.02...in my area of Florida, where I lived at the time, the books were released on Fridays. Shortly after Superman #75 I moved back to Texas and back to Wednesday arrivals... (shrug)

We had 2 major distributors in Houston, CapCity and Diamond. Both had

Superman #75 pulled for their customers, me, Bedrock, Third Planet,

Happy Trails, NorthSide, Legands, Nan's, Phoenix, etc, by 8 am on the

18th. Most of us were in the parking lot at one of the two, sucking coffee

and cigs, and wanting to get back to the stores because the phones were

ringing off the walls and at my store, the line down the side of the building

was massive, and my wife was afraid to open at 9 without me and the

new comics already there. When I got back to the store, my customers

actually helped me carry all the new merchandise into my store. It made

paying the bills much easier that month.

This is likely correct. For my area, Friday was new comic day.

The other ambiguity is this: does 'release date' refer to retail release or release at the distributor level? I suspect for the news outlets who interviewed or got press release info from DC, release date likely referred to release to the distributor level. 2c

My $0.02...in my area of Florida, where I lived at the time, the books were released on Fridays. Shortly after Superman #75 I moved back to Texas and back to Wednesday arrivals... (shrug)

Yup. I was in college (in Texas) then and comics came in on Wednesdays. No way in hell I was hanging out at a comic shop on a Friday night to get books.

Man the memories. I was in college at the time and had to buy extra copies for older bank employees who wanted to read it as well. I was taking copies up to VPs in the bank who I didnt even know. Word of mouth had spread I had a few extra copies I had picked up on the newstand downtown. I even had a few pay me $15 to pick them up a copy that next week or so. Talked about old style networking I met more executives in that bank in 2 weeks then I did in the 2 years I worked there.

A friend of mine got the platinum copy, but I cant remember was it 50 or 75 copies he had to order to get it. He made a killing back then flipping them at shows for the next couple of weeks. I remember the manhunt for Superman 18 as well and all the multiple printings and red cover JLA I wanted as well. Did they make a 5th printing of some copies because I know there is a JLA 69 4th printing. Did Supes 18 have a 4th printing as well?

Superman 74 had a 3rd Printing

Superman 75 had a 4th Printing

Superman 76 had a 2nd Printing

Superman 77 had a 3rd Printing

MOS 17 had a 2nd Printing

MOS 18 had a 5th Printing

MOS 19 had a 2nd Printing

Action Comics 684 had a 3rd Printing

Action Comics 685 had a 3rd Printing

Action Comics 686 had a 2nd Printing

Adventures of Superman 496 had a 2nd Printing

Adventures of Superman 497 had a 3rd Printing

Adventures of Superman 498 had a 3rd Printing

MOS 18 had a 5th Printing

That was the second hottest book of the run, and kind of is even now.

Wasn't there a book some sellers were claiming Doomsday made his 1st appearance in, but it turned out later to be a totally different character?

hm