• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gator Heritage Signature Auction Play-by-Play

218 posts in this topic

This auction as a whole was at times a bit shocking. Books going very cheaply.

I won two books on what I would consider very low tracking bids, that I placed weeks ago. :o

To many books, and to many auctions at once I suppose is why we saw some books go so low.

Action 1...cgc 6.5 mod...143400

Wow, the Court Copy keeps setting records for a restored book.

Is this the copy that had been on display for some time in the Entertainment Museum? If so, had it traded hands since then or was it publicly known to be Geppi's copy up to this sale? I see it passed in May.

Same copy as there is only one obviously. It was not owned by Geppi but by a private collector when sold.

Action 1...cgc 6.5 mod...143400

Wow, the Court Copy keeps setting records for a restored book.

Is this the copy that had been on display for some time in the Entertainment Museum? If so, had it traded hands since then or was it publicly known to be Geppi's copy up to this sale? I see it passed in May.

Same copy as there is only one obviously. It was not owned by Geppi but by a private collector when sold.

who I bet wishes they had of taken that 150K private offer received not too long ago for it... but, it sold for around what I thought it might, though I obviously had hoped it would sell for less :(

New Book of Comics #1 (DC, c. 1937) CGC NM 9.4 Off-white to white...19120

These so-called rare DC pre-hero books have really taken a kicking over the last several years. Nowhere close to guide for a super HG copy.

Pretty much the same with the New Comics #2, although going for half of guide for a Moderately Restored copy might not be as bad as first blush. (shrug)

These so-called rare DC pre-hero books have really taken a kicking over the last several years. Nowhere close to guide for a super HG copy.

Pretty much the same with the New Comics #2, although going for half of guide for a Moderately Restored copy might not be as bad as first blush. (shrug)

the price was "weak" by historical terms, but pretty strong relatively speaking...I think some felt it was a 15K book...so, 19K was "not bad" imo

the price was "weak" by historical terms, but pretty strong relatively speaking...I think some felt it was a 15K book...so, 19K was "not bad" imo

Not where it should be but it could have been a lot worse. The high bid going into the live session was really low. It totally stalled and almost went for a steal before someone pushed it up. These books really have taken a hit in the last 5 years (and I say that as someone who owns most of them :cry: ) but there always seems to be at least 2 people who want a copy, and sometimes that's all that's needed!

Not where it should be but it could have been a lot worse. The high bid going into the live session was really low. It totally stalled and almost went for a steal before someone pushed it up. These books really have taken a hit in the last 5 years (and I say that as someone who owns most of them :cry: ) but there always seems to be at least 2 people who want a copy, and sometimes that's all that's needed!

(thumbs u

New Comics #2 has had no trouble keeping its value up. A better indicator of that book's value is the fact that a 1.5 just sold on Clink for $1,111, which is well above Guide. Several other pre-hero books on Clink also exceeded Guide. The pre-hero books that have had trouble keeping up are the reprint books like New Book of Comics and some of the less rare issues of New Comics that lack collector interest because of their dorky humor covers.

New Comics #2 has had no trouble keeping its value up. A better indicator of that book's value is the fact that a 1.5 just sold on Clink for $1,111, which is well above Guide. Several other pre-hero books on Clink also exceeded Guide. The pre-hero books that have had trouble keeping up are the reprint books like New Book of Comics and some of the less rare issues of New Comics that lack collector interest because of their dorky humor covers.

I believe I was the underbidder (or maybe the 2nd underbidder) on that copy. In my experience Platinum books do not usually do well on CL as it is not the best audience for them. The fact that this book did so well is a testament to its rarity and desirability.

I believe I was the underbidder (or maybe the 2nd underbidder) on that copy. In my experience Platinum books do not usually do well on CL as it is not the best audience for them. The fact that this book did so well is a testament to its rarity and desirability.

Well. it's nice to hear that some of these pre-hero books are still able to hold their own in this strongly super-hero centric market! (thumbs u

Any ideas on how another super rare book such as New Fun #2 would do in this type of marketplace? hm