• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Raw grades from "reputable" sellers ??

35 posts in this topic

As for CLink leaving up books that have sold, look at it as their version of an archive. You can go back and look up past sales to help decide FMV of a book. Wish it was organized like HA's, but something is better than nothing

As for CLink leaving up books that have sold, look at it as their version of an archive. You can go back and look up past sales to help decide FMV of a book. Wish it was organized like HA's, but something is better than nothing

And it's easy to filter out the sales pending listings.

So, would it be safe to say ComicConnect is just a shell biz for Metro to hawk their books??

CC is the auction arm of Metropolis. That's never been a secret

what...WHAT....you have got to be kidding me lol

I always thought CC were Metro's consigned books for the most part.

A few months ago, I made an offer on a GA book listed on Metro. Of course, not accepted other than free shipping. I then went to CC, found the same book, made an even lower offer which was accepted without even a counter.

I thought this was interesting, assuming it was a consigned book, the consignor would have made more money if Metro had accepted my offer. That assumes the fees are the same.

So, would it be safe to say ComicConnect is just a shell biz for Metro to hawk their books??

:baiting:

wait a minute...are you kidding me, or not lol

:baiting:

wait a minute...are you kidding me, or not lol

:devil:

I've been looking over some of the for sale sections of sites like CLINK, COMICONNECT, METROPOLIS and others, and have seen quite a few RAW GA books with very high grades (9.2 - 9.4 ) and am wondering how the prices they are asking can be justified in light of the books not being graded and slabbed by CGC ?? I mean the difference between the asking price for an 8.5 and a 9.2 or 9.4 is ALOT !! ..... There is no guarantee that the book would come back from CGC with the grade that "they" say its in. ...

Great questions. These too have been on my mind for a while. I was personally looking at a book close to $500 recently from an online dealer who had it graded at 9.4. But worry about CGC results even if I agreed with the dealer's raw grade. There is little discourse. So I chose not to order this book I wanted instead, and hope eBay will one day yield a sweet high grade slabbed copy.

I may understand a 9.2. But for any dealer to grade a raw book at 9.4 without being slabbed is putting the buyer in a precarious position if they intend to get the book slabbed themselves. On many GA books there is a huge price discrepancy between 9.2 and 9.4. Even if the book does appear superficially as a POSSIBLE 9.4 there is no guarantee that CGC will they see it that way (depending on the side of the bed they woke up on that day). Therefore not only is the buyer responsible for investing great time waiting for CGC to slab their book, and paying for the process, when the end of the day comes, and that 9.4 is graded 9.2 or 9.0, then perhaps their investment has just devalued by 50% or more (plus expenses). And in terms of GA, that could equate to large sums of money. Even if the buyer would be delighted or satisfied with a 9.0, the fact that they paid the price of a 9.4 makes it a significant financial loss few of us could afford.

I'm glad they keep their sales up for awhile, I'm always going back and comparing grades on sold books and their prices. It's actually the next best thing to GPA as far as I'm concerned as many of those prices don't make it to GPA from CLink.

I've never appreciated CGC as much as I do right now

A CGC 9.4 doesn't mean it's "near mint", just a CGC 9.4. That has monetary value, but not necessarily value from other collectors. Weird concept, but true.