• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do any of you guys display your CGC's?

110 posts in this topic

I was thinking the same but my office gets no natural sunlight and unless i'm in there, no light at all. The back wall, even when i'm in there stays pretty dark.

has anyone ever heard of a frame that has UV shielded glass? Wouldn't that keep it from fading over time even if displayed?

GE makes a line of bulbs called "Saf-T-Gard" that is ultra-low-UV. You could also try a pet store, they make blubs like that for reptiles, fish..

I receieved an email from Frameitagainsam, I was asking about uv protection glass in his frames his reply.

I don't sell frames with uv glass. It is a myth that uv glass will protect your comics or anything from light damage. Direct sunlight is bad for comics even if you had uv protection because of the brightness of the light, so avoiding it is best. Therefore, if you don't plan on displaying your comics in the path of direct sunlight, then uv glass is not necessary. Using it is the same as holding an umbrella in your house when it is raining, or putting on sunscreen while sitting on the couch watching tv, unless your couch is outside in direct sunlight. Light damage has nothing to do with UV and everything to do with brightness of light (lumen) and length of exposure time (lumen hours).

For example, two frames outside in direct sunlight for 6 months of summer, one with uv glass and one with normal glass or just cgc case, would both be extremely faded, one slightly less than the other I suppose, but both utterly destroyed because of the brightness factor. Other than giving you a false sense of security, the same two frames inside your home for 6 months, one with uv glass and one without, not in the path of direct sunlight, would have zero difference.

Thanks,

sam

hm

I receieved an email from Frameitagainsam, I was asking about uv protection glass in his frames his reply.

I don't sell frames with uv glass. It is a myth that uv glass will protect your comics or anything from light damage. Direct sunlight is bad for comics even if you had uv protection because of the brightness of the light, so avoiding it is best. Therefore, if you don't plan on displaying your comics in the path of direct sunlight, then uv glass is not necessary. Using it is the same as holding an umbrella in your house when it is raining, or putting on sunscreen while sitting on the couch watching tv, unless your couch is outside in direct sunlight. Light damage has nothing to do with UV and everything to do with brightness of light (lumen) and length of exposure time (lumen hours).

For example, two frames outside in direct sunlight for 6 months of summer, one with uv glass and one with normal glass or just cgc case, would both be extremely faded, one slightly less than the other I suppose, but both utterly destroyed because of the brightness factor. Other than giving you a false sense of security, the same two frames inside your home for 6 months, one with uv glass and one without, not in the path of direct sunlight, would have zero difference.

Thanks,

sam

hm

He also has this quote on his website, I think he is incorrect. I base it off of the experience of my old LCS whose wall book were never in direct sunlight but were almost always somewhat faded.

It may not be noticeable in 6 months but eventually there will be some fading.

Thanks,

sam

hm

He also has this quote on his website, I think he is incorrect. I base it off of the experience of my old LCS whose wall book were never in direct sunlight but were almost always somewhat faded.

It may not be noticeable in 6 months but eventually there will be some fading.

I haven't done any experiments with direct sunlight (because you'd have to be a complete insufficiently_thoughtful_person to put a comic book in direct sunlight for an extended period of time), but I did do a 1-year test with indirect light where I put a slabbed book in a bookcase in one of the rooms of our house. It's a room that gets a decent amount of sunlight during the day (not directly on the bookcase, though), and where the (overhead, non-fluorescent) lights are usually on at night.

Here's the before scan:

fadetest-before.jpg

And here's the after scan:

fadetest-after.jpg

With the naked eye there's zero difference between the two scans, and even after overlaying the two images in Photoshop, what miniscule difference there might be could just as easily be attributed to the varying light in my office during the scanning.

All the articles I've read online supports this - indirect sunlight, filtered through the windows of a house, really doesn't do anywhere near the damage people think it does; as Sam says, direct sunlight & fluorescent lights (which are often found in comic book stores) are the main things to avoid here.

Ever since I worked for a company that did tests on products for fading I've given up displaying any of my comics. No matter what anyone tells you, over time light does fade. Not only does it fade it also ages and deteriorates. If you decide to display your books keep in mine that the bright rich colors will be the first to show a change. If you notice a change in the color its already too late. If you notice the plastic getting a white film thats the reaction from the UV. Also not good. One thing to remember, I've noticed that newer books color holds up a bit longer then older books. Might have something to do with the slick paper used.

I've seen some nice 9.6 turn to garbage from fading. After a while they just don't look so nice and new anymore. Why take a chance. Display photo copies framed. They look just as good.

Last week I went over to Staples with a few of my favorite books and OA.

For $9 I made colour copies of the covers of 8 books and black and white copies of 3 OA pages. Then went to a craft shop and picked up some cheap but decent frames. Trimmed the colour copies to fit the frames and put it all together.

Looks great and will post some photos here or in the thread devoted to comic rooms soon.

Why risk your books when you can make nice looking copies for cheap?

Would probably be a great way to go with frameitagainsam's frames also.

Copy lots of your books and change whenever the mood hits you.

Years ago we had a LCS that had a tall cabinet displaying books for sale.

On the top shelf, directly below the flourescent light was a mid grade FF1, Xmen 1 and a number of other high value SA books. The books cover colours were so faded it was tragic.