• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Did Any Comic Creators or Artists Come From Your Hometowns?

25 posts in this topic

I know the New Yorkers probably have a few, but I was wondering if any one of you guys had one come from some obscure hometowns like me?

I grew up in New Boston, New Hampshire.

DSC010311.jpg

DSC026981.jpg

Joe English Hill

NewBoston3-1.jpg

Dodge's General Store

...and Sara Richard.

www.SaraRichard.com

sararichard.jpg

I try to grab up as much as her stuff as I can.

saracomic.jpg

DSC012701.jpg

linewrk.jpg

DSC028251.jpg

DSC02827.jpg

...even helping out other fans.

DSC00770.jpg

DSC008171.jpg

DSC010001.jpg

...So do any of you guys have any hometown heroes that work in the hobby? :popcorn:

Joe Shuster moved to Cleveland when he was 10. I'd like to think it was his formative years delivering The Toronto Star, door-to-door, that made him who he was. :baiting:

Yeah, I thought twice about adding him, but you couldn't fight for "the American Way" in Canada. (:

Off the top of my head, if we count Metro Boston, the there's Stu Helm, aka DB Velveeda, of Cheesy Graphics,

shiva_bloodorange_infused.jpg

Disclosure: he's a pal and we once played in a band together.

Bill Everett.

venus192.jpg

Tony Millionaire was a year or 2 ahead of me at Mass Art.

12512.jpg

I'm transplanted, but Kirkman, Walker, Kidwell, Bellgarde and Moore all lived within 20 minutes of me. Moore has since moved a couple hours away.

local cartoonist chad carpenter seems to have done pretty well....of course he still signs his garfield like compilations at the state fair every summer. fun stuff with an Alaskan bent...

106461.jpg.c7f95237888b0de09c827d693fca091d.jpg

Not a comic artist, but author Philip K. (wrote the books that the movies Total Recall, Minority Report and Blade Runner were based on, as well as his most popular book Ubik) lived and died in the city I was born in. R. Crumb drew a story in Weido comic book called The Religious Experience of Philip K. about him.

local cartoonist chad carpenter seems to have done pretty well....of course he still signs his garfield like compilations at the state fair every summer. fun stuff with an Alaskan bent...

I have a Tundra calendar on my desk at work. lol

Todd McFarlane lived about 10 minutes away from me during his ASM #300 tenure. Mr. Carey Andrews, artist of Dark Horse's Conan, used to live in the Vancouver, BC area also, I think. Artist of early issues of Y, the Last Man is also local but she has driven down to Seattle, WA :cloud9: comicons.