• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pretty sure this was Not the type of publicity the WB wanted for Green Lantern.

122 posts in this topic

I didn't mind MCD as Wilson Fisk. He played it pretty well. He fit the bill: big, muscular, and just plain BIG. Can you think of another actor who could have played him?

He probably wasn't scripted black. MCD probably just auditioned and did it well.

Also, I originally thought GL was black too because of the cartoon. It was only my exposure to these boards (or the CPG boards) that taught me otherwise.

I think Ryan Reynold looks the part of Hal Jordon. I think they could easily have made a good movie using a black GL (he existed in comics in the '90s, didn't he..?) but that's not what this movie was about. I figure he's too much of a main character to change. Wilson Fisk on the other hand, was not.

It amazes me just how stupid people actually are. Seriously, the internet is your friend so try doing a bit of research before flipping out about the ethnicity of a character. I swear, every time I come across something I don't get, grasp, understand, or question, I hit the internet. mess, the net even on my phone now. Instead, its a bunch of wildly_fanciful_statement posted by lazy who know nothing of the character. ok, rant over...

Yup. Pretty ignorant rants by some pretty ignorant people...

I'm not getting why they are 'ignorant'?

The general public's only expose to GL is the cartoon. The character there is clearly black. What possible reason would they have to think 'I bet he's supposed to be white, I must Google it to make sure'?

I never read Briget Jones' Diary but having seen the film, I felt no compulsion to check out the ethnicity of the characters in the written form. Why would I?

it's ignorant because they decided to argue and spend time twittering, etc, and ignored going online and finding out the truth. ignorance isn't always racism related. i understand your point, and dc should have taken this into consideration, but there are many options online to find his bio, plus regardless of how many people don't read comics, GL has been one of the best the last few years. people need to stop looking for excuses and just admit they screwed up. before i get pissed off about a character being changed, i'll make sure he really was. also, someone said "he's the only black superhero." that's complete ignorance.

Well, maybe it has something to do with the fact that John Stewart sucks as a character and the entire popularity of Green Lantern is based on Hal Jordan.

the first sentence is not true at all. just your opinion. he's a great character. how well he's used is up to the writer. he's always great in the justice league version.

To whom it may concern...

There is no such thing as reverse racism. For future debate please acknowledge the following. If a black man is talking about a white guy in an obvious racist context or if a white is using racist context about a black man, it is racism. There is no reverse racism, only racism. Which in my humble opinion I present the fact that skin color does not making anyone better than anyone else.

I do however find the comments in the OP from twitter somewhat offensive. When Nick Fury was changed for the Ultimates universe, I thought it was cool and change is good. When these people post how upset they are that GL is White, I just have to wonder. I mean who really cares, as long as the actor is good.

But what do I know. Im just a dumb white guy with a hispanic wife.

For the sake of arguement they did make Kingpin, Michael Clark Duncan, in the pos Daredevil movie. Also I heard there doing a Luke Cage movie with Nick Cage in the lead.

Both of those casting decisions are cr@p. One resulted in a POS movie and the other will result in a POS movie.

I was only joking about Nick Cage, I believe they're going with Mel Gibson.

Yeah, and you look like Brad Pitt.

For the sake of arguement they did make Kingpin, Michael Clark Duncan, in the pos Daredevil movie. Also I heard there doing a Luke Cage movie with Nick Cage in the lead.

Both of those casting decisions are cr@p. One resulted in a POS movie and the other will result in a POS movie.

I was only joking about Nick Cage, I believe they're going with Mel Gibson.

Yeah, and you look like Brad Pitt.

We've met?

"What's a Nubian?"

That line still cracks me up.

DC hasn't done anything wrong. The history of the character is what it is.

If people aren't familiar with it, it's not the fault of those telling the story.

Seriously: Someone's trying to say THAT MANY people are familiar with the CARTOON?

Puh-leeze!

This is a stunt done to stir up controversy, and it's in poor taste.

Seriously: Someone's trying to say THAT MANY people are familiar with the CARTOON?

A lot more people have seen the cartoon than buy Moderns, that's for certain.

I agree. Hard to imagine, the Twitter generation would reflect the opinions of the current generation who only know GL on TV as J. Stewart from the JLA cartoon. Maybe if you go to a BBS chat site you can get some rave Hal reviews.

Yeah, I'm trying to get a handle on this demographic...

1. Overly concerned about the ethnicity of a comic book character

2. Familiar with the kids cartoon, but not the comic, or 40+ year history of the character

3. Twitter happy. Has actually felt strongly enough about it to share opinion on the topic.

4. Seen the movie trailer already.

Hmmm. Any ideas?

If I have my timing right, the first GL in modern cartoons was Hal Jordan in the Batman cartoon from a few years back. That was the first time my kids saw Green Lantern and they thought he was cool (it also helped that Robin thought he had a cool "human" identity as a test pilot as well). So technically, Hal Jordan could have pre-dated John Stewart as GL as well.

On the flip side, I think I called this as a potential issue for DC in another thread since most people just know the JLA cartoon. The simple fix is to introduce John Stewart as another character in the 1st flick.