• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvel comic movies mayhem...!!!

75 posts in this topic

Three times the charm,....the first is always a tease,...the second usually the best,...the third ok,...by the 4th movie usually is forced and blows, (e.g. Superman #4 ,Batman #4),...and the major part of the fan base has outgrown it as well...

The only difference I might see is if Hugh Jackman pulls out a couple of Wolverine spin-off movies out of X-men three,...but by that time he will be prime material for James Bond which he could win and carry for a good 10-15 years,...they really need to get rid of Pierce Bronsan,...he's getting way too old for Bond...

The movie was completely generic, the acting was terrible, the dialogue was worse than the acting, the fight scenes were awful, Garner sucks, Affleck sucks, the kid who played Young Affleck sucks, the red hair was a joke, Foggy was a ridiculous shade of a character, the movie sucked. It sucked bad. Reeeeal bad.

That pretty well sums up this POS for me as well. thumbsup2.gif

With all due respect, you guys are fans. Think out side the box. You need not only characters with mass Hollywood appeal, to be a decent movie you need characters that can interact with the world in a realistic way. That's not the FF. Big hyper-unrealistic rock guy, a guy who stretches, a burning guy, and a leading lady whose power demands that when she's in action, she not there. The only reason those characters work is because they're in a comic book. On a movie screen it would look like a load of cheap CG effects.

To be taken seriously, comic based movies need to be as close to realistic as possible, only demanding that the audience suspend their disbelief through some parts, on a small scale. This is because the characters are supposed to be in the real world. If you ask the audience to buy something too fantanstic, too weird, you'll lose them. A shiny guy who surfs (surfs, for crying out loud, surfs) through outer space and visits Earth would be too much.

Only if you delve all the way into fantasy can you ask the audience to buy everything you throw at them, because they know not to take any of it seriously. I don't want my hobby and my interests marginalized any further than they already are by having their interface with the general public be treated as a fanciful lark.

Daredevil was a badly written good idea, because the character is basically just a regular guy. All the audience has to buy is the radar sense and the red suit. The rest of the story doesn't involve anything too extraordinary at all.

Spider-Man, same thing. Regular people. Audience only has to suspend their disbelief at the genetically engineered spider part and you have a perfectly good movie. Even the Green Goblin's outfit, gear, and attitude, if goofy, were given a plausible origin.

Throughout both movies, the X-Men don't really do much that was too out of the ordinary. They have a conflict with Magneto, then they have another conflict with Stryker, more or less for the same reason though seen from the other side. Standard movie plot stuff. All the audience has the believe is 1) there are mutants in the world, and 2) non-mutants don't like them, and everything else pretty much falls into place. X-Men 2 could've been any outlaw commando-ish flick if you took to super powers out. A little Dirty Dozen, a little Rambo 2.

So what other comic could pull that off? Just a tad outside reality is all you need. Don't ask too much of the non comic fan audience. Avengers would work. A government sanctioned team of agents tasked with handling extraordinary threats? True Lies with super powers. Just choose Avengers that aren't too outlandish.

Supposedly, He has been replaced and the next one will be his last.

Three times the charm,....the first is always a tease,...the second usually the best,...the third ok,...by the 4th movie usually is forced and blows, (e.g. Superman #4 ,Batman #4),...and the major part of the fan base has outgrown it as well...

The only difference I might see is if Hugh Jackman pulls out a couple of Wolverine spin-off movies out of X-men three,...but by that time he will be prime material for James Bond which he could win and carry for a good 10-15 years,...they really need to get rid of Pierce Bronsan,...he's getting way too old for Bond...

The next X-Men franchise will go the way of the LOTR, in which they will film X-4 right after the finish of X-3 so ther is no 2-3 year delay. That is what've heard or been able to dig up. I use comics2film.com for my info, and they seem to be pretty good so far.

As far a future release, for me it's going to be Werewolf by Night,as it was/is my favorite comic.

I would agree with you before I saw what they did with Lord of the Rings #3. Characters like Thor and the Silver Surfer would be hard to deliver with great impact but the special effects seem to be getting better and better. Just compare the latest Star Wars production (which I thought was [!@#%^&^]) to the Lord of the Rings - no comparison.

To address a few points:

1) I said no PROTRACTED action scenes and used the Batman movie of an example of the kind of extended action scenes I loathe. At least the playground scene was actually useful in showing Elektra's abilities and establishing a relationship between the 2 chars. It was not just a chance for Jack Nicholson (who really like as an actor) to make grand gestures for 10 minutes.

2) Flashbacks are certainly an accepted means if done well. I think they were done well in DD.

3) Opinions expressed are just that - opinions. Such opinions are usually formulated through individual experiences and individual likes and dislikes. At least if I don't like a film I don't throw insults at them that do. (No, Major - not saying you do - but some do in moments of smallness).

Barbarella? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif Seems unlikely...

Interesting guess. Here's another clue: "Subject: Diesel McGillicutty, a do no gooder dame with a crazed craving for gas huffing."

Foxy Brown? Cleopatra Jones? Song sounds very familiar and very "blaxploitation".......

Exactly. I also want to discuss our individual hunts and finds as mid-grade collectors.

Personally, I think the Bond franchise is well past its sell by date and no actor can really save it. There are just to many other films now doing the same stuff better. Its just gotten tired. frown.gif

Personally, I think the Bond franchise is well past its sell by date and no actor can really save it. There are just to many other films now doing the same stuff better. Its just gotten tired. frown.gif

Bond was a 60's phenomenon that has long outlived its usefulness.

At least the playground scene was actually useful in showing Elektra's abilities and establishing a relationship between the 2 chars.

Hokay, but this scene goes back to the main failing of the movie; Matt Murdock was not blind for all intents and purposes, and anyone in that "movie world" who believes so is a insufficiently_thoughtful_person.

The key to Daredevil is that he's a blind superhero, just as Spidey is a geeky teen with no love-life. The DD writer-director obviously wanted to helm X2, and made Matt Murdock a regular guy who could kung-fu fight in the playground, in plain sight of everyone.

"Who cares if he's blind, I need a kick-[!@#%^&^] scene where the drooling fanboys can see Garner's crotch!"

Now I can understand die-hard Daredevil fans loving the movie, as that's what was offered up, but if you have no affiliation or fanboy-ism for the character and still thought the movie rocked... then I really don't know what to say.

The key to Daredevil is that he's a blind superhero, just as Spidey is a geeky teen with no love-life. The DD writer-director obviously wanted to helm X2, and made Matt Murdock a regular guy who could kung-fu fight in the playground, in plain sight of everyone.

"Who cares if he's blind, I need a kick-[!@#%^&^] scene where the drooling fanboys can see Garner's crotch!"

Now I can understand die-hard Daredevil fans loving the movie, as that's what was offered up, but if you have no affiliation or fanboy-ism for the character and still thought the movie rocked... then I really don't know what to say.

Whoa...the 1st reprint of "The Origin of JC"! 27_laughing.gif

Whoa...the 1st reprint of "The Origin of JC"! 27_laughing.gif

27_laughing.gifsign-funnypost.gif

So let me guess banner, you thought Daredevil rocked? makepoint.gif

Actually, uh, no. I believe I motioned it was "...fun to watch..." or something like that, which it was! makepoint.gif