• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Overstreet Changes for 2003...

38 posts in this topic

Just got in some info about next year's Overstreet. I am certain this will not surprise arnoldt... but not everyone is in the loop... smile.gif After being chastised about holding back info on "Rawhide Kid - The Campy Gay Gowboy" I'm here to spread the wealth...

Most people are aware that the current Overstreet was the first to include VF 8.0 pricing as a standard column. It had been included on key issues for a while, but the 2002 guide was the first to make it standard.

Well, prepare yourself now for some serious eyestrain next year...

The 2003 guide will include SIX prices for each issue. That's right, SIX.

It will now have prices for 2.0, 4.0, 6.0, 8.0, 9.0 and 9.4. The size of the guide will increase slightly to 6.5" x 9.25". Prices are $25 SC and $32 HC. Presumably they will also release a "BIG-BIG" version, but no info has been released yet. I have to say that the Big-Big guide is much easier to use when pricing collections (though a pain to lug around at shows).

Personally, I think the inclusion of a 9.0 will dramatically affect CGC prices. And depending on how well the 9.0 Guide reflects actual sales of 9.0 material it may bring some stability to the CGC prices. We all know that some books in 9.4 are selling at 10x a 9.0 and some aren't even 2x. The inclusion of a 9.0 column allows Overstreet to better reflect the differences between ASM 28 and ASM 29 in the higher grades. I suspect that the 2003 guide will be fairly cautious with its spreads, but over the next couple years it makes it easier for the guide to reflect the market on high grade material.

Thoughts?

It'll be interesting to see the spread between the 9.0 and 9.4 prices - if it increases beyond what you see in this year's guide. Personally, I feel 9.0 values should be about what NM used to be, prior to CGC's influence in the market.

I'm for as much coordination between CGC and Overstreet as possible. One legitimizes the other, IMO.

That is great news! IMO, it is about time that the 9.0 be included in the price guide. Perhaps the realization that there are many, many books that fall short of 9.4 but are also nicer than an 8.0. Hopefully this will close the guessing gap of book value between 9.4 and 8.0. Kudos to Gemstone Publishing! wink.gif

I hate to be the one to break this to you lighthouse, but this doesn't make up for holding out on the gay cowboys eating pudding. This is actuallly "ho hum" old news around these here parts. It was mentioned in Diamond's "Scoop" about three months ago. frown.gif

I think we all appreciate the effort, although this isn't nearly as salacious as the whole gay cowboy thing... grin.gif

Nope, doesn't take me by surprise, but like the previous post just said, we've been publicizing this for quite a while now. Eyestrain hopefully won't be an issue - as far as I know, we're not dropping the font size a bit since the change in page size will handle the extra columns without having to do that.

And yes, there will still be a BIG BIG version, which will also have to change size just a bit to reflect the different page proportions in the standard Guide.

I hate to be the one to break this to you lighthouse, but this doesn't make up for holding out on the gay cowboys eating pudding.

Indeed, 'House. You're riding the pine. If you EVER drop the ball like that again, I will subject you to my poem about comic book store owners. mad.gif

(Yeah, and where can we get one of those Big Big Ones?? Oh lordy... I can just feel the Darth side of the Forths lurking out there waiting for someone to say that...)

I will be happy to take orders on the BIG BIG guide for anyone who is interested.

This version is printed pretty much to order, so if your local shop doesn't place an initial order for them they may not be able to get one. If you have a good and reliable shop near you, I heartily recommend that you order through them. I am a strong believer in supporting your local comic shop.

But I also recognize that many comic shops are less than reliable when it comes to special orders, and a fair number will not even make the attempt, preferring to focus on Yu-Gi-Oh and Heroclix. So if any of my fellow forum members are interested, I will be happy to take orders at 10% off retail with free UPS Ground Shipping. No deposit necessary.

BTW, I will do the same deal on the new Overstreet Grading Guide, though that book should be a little easier to find as the print run is far larger and it should have a longer shelf-life.

Now Khaos, as far as the gay cowboy thing goes... I promise it will never happen again... So all the intel I have about the 5-part Dr Doom storyline in FF beginning in #67 with an issue completed devoted to Doom and running through #71 (#500 for those keeping track) that results in a huge change for Reed Richards, all that intel I'll be sure to provide... tongue.gif

Thanks for the kind words, Steve! I can't wait to hear what some other people think - I'm sure there will be criticism as well as praise, but I'm waiting to hear everything, good and bad.

Or maybe it will be such an overwhelming hit that no one has a bad word to say about it and the entire industry transforms as a result into a kind and wonderful place where birds sing, animals frolic, and fans of all Ages and conditions join hands in harmony and sing as angels in Heaven.

...Nah! <--(old Steve Martin SNL sketch)

Arnold

Since we're working on it right now, all I can say is it'll come out when it comes out. Should be in the ballpark, no reason to expect it won't be, but these books ain't exactly smooth sailing ya know smile.gif. It's got lots of prices to type in and everything.

In the meantime, buy twelve more copies of the Grading Guide.