• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Absolute Hardest to Find 2000's Books

276 posts in this topic

This thread is in response to the Copper Age thread about the absolute hardest to find copper... books. So please, only post about books that are INSANELY rare. Not 1 in 10, not 1 in 50, not 1 in 5. I hope this is educational and can assist everyone as we dig through the long boxes or are checking out wall books. We're only looking for books that, would be in anyone's estimation around at least 1000 or less. Preferable, less than 100 known. Really, just stuff that's crazy hard to find by anyone's standards.

We want hard to find stuff-you won't find this at every show.

I'm just throwing that number out there, but "older collectors" will sneer at that but screw them. There may be a book that, while be a 1 in 300 variant is less than 1-2k total, and if so-fine. It may be a $100+ book that everyone knows about. But no Chew, WD or whatever-just weird like Maxx ashcans or Fables #6 RRP. Crazy stuff that was recalled or an error/accident, In addition, they would presumably also be valuable or desirable. Small press if it's desirable (bastian/peterson?) Don't add in cheap vanity press books or that ain't worth a damn. Or less than $3, whichever is less :jokealert:

I apologize if a similar thread has already been started...if it started but didn't keep (we will win this time!) but otherwise I throw out Fables # 6 rrp...

Here are a few off the top of my head. I will split mine up between variants and just some issues that are tough to find.

Retailer Incentives Tough to Find

Wolverine Deadpool Variant Retailer Incentive

Siege 3 Deadpool Variant Retailer Incentive

Regular issues

30 Days of Night 1-3

Amazing Spider-man 36 Newstand issue

Negative Burn 7

Walking Dead 33 2nd Print

Walking Dead 35 Error Copies

Agents 6

Capes 1

Early Futurama issues

Here are a few off the top of my head. I will split mine up between variants and just some issues that are tough to find.

Regular issues

30 Days of Night 1-3

Negative Burn 7

Agents 6

Capes 1

Early Futurama issues

Don't take this the wrong way, but with the exception of the WD #35 Errror, there is not a single book on that list that is hard to find :foryou:

OK, my turn.

The 1:10 Locke & Key: Welcome To Lovecraft Special Edition #1 Variant

specialedition.jpg

:acclaim:

These are hardly ever on eBay.

By my guess there were only 100-150 made and not many claimed because of the regular issue reprint's $6 price tag.

This book was so rare even I had no idea what the cover looked like until someone showed me. You cannot buy what you don't know exists, my 2c

Regular issues

30 Days of Night 1-3

Negative Burn 7

Agents 6

Capes 1

Early Futurama issues

Don't take this the wrong way, but with the exception of the WD #35 Errror, there is not a single book on that list that is hard to find :foryou:

But the Spiral bound version of 30 days #1 should probably qualify.

Regular issues

30 Days of Night 1-3

Negative Burn 7

Agents 6

Capes 1

Early Futurama issues

Just different levels I guess. Anything thats got a lower print run and a stronger demand qualifies for me. Feel free to submit a list. It was early in the morning what can I say. (shrug)

Batman #608 RRP. Maybe not that hard to find, but to find it at a price you can afford, or even at a price that lends itself to a Modern book, it qualifies.

Here is what I dug up on short notice :)

First on the left is a hand silkscreened English language comic by my favorite artist Femke Hiemstra. Published in Belgium and I believe limited to 250 copies. To the right is two minicomics by another great artist Tom Haubrick and friends limited to 50 copies each. Below is a UK minicomic from the publishers of The Sound Of Drowning limited to 20 copies.

dsc02398nn.th.jpg

These are preview editions of the first three issues of Canadian comic Song Of Songs The Comic Book. Printed off a home PC printer.

dsc02399c.th.jpg

Serbian Deadworld and Walking Dead comics

dsc02400w.th.jpg

My Sound Of Drowning collection. Nearly complete. It's a self published UK alternative comic. I don't know what the regular print runs are but they are impossible to get, which sucks because I'm missing a few issues :( I'm sure I have the most complete collection stateside though. When the people behind Sound Of Drowning saw how complete my collection was and that I'm an American fan they sent me some free buttons :)

dsc02401gh.th.jpg

This is a cool comic. Only had two issues though. These are all just variant covers of the same two issues. Two of these are sketch covers. All have a print run of 25 copies

dsc02402k.th.jpg

Regular issues

30 Days of Night 1-3

Negative Burn 7

Agents 6

Capes 1

Early Futurama issues

Just different levels I guess. Anything thats got a lower print run and a stronger demand qualifies for me. Feel free to submit a list. It was early in the morning what can I say. (shrug)

Those criteria don't have anything to do with actual rarity, though - all early issues of WD have low print runs & strong demand, but claiming they are hard to find because of this would be erroneous.

If there's a handful of copies of a particular book on eBay, it's just not rare - it may be difficult to find at a price level you're comfortable with (ala the Batman #608 RRP), but that's a completely different issue :thumbsup:

Regular issues

30 Days of Night 1-3

Negative Burn 7

Agents 6

Capes 1

Early Futurama issues

Those criteria don't have anything to do with actual rarity, though - all early issues of WD have low print runs & strong demand, but claiming they are hard to find because of this would be erroneous.

If there's a handful of copies of a particular book on eBay, it's just not rare - it may be difficult to find at a price level you're comfortable with (ala the Batman #608 RRP), but that's a completely different issue :thumbsup:

Yeah, I was going to expand on if you had alot of $$$ and such, but you pretty much sum it up here.

Love threads like this, especially when I have the books. I remember Dead@17 being hot when it came out, then it cooled off to nothing. I have about a few copies of #1 that I bought for cover price or less. Ebay shows 1 sold recently for $60. Cha-ching.

A few copies you say? :takeit: