• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ever Find a Book That.....

29 posts in this topic

Not necessarily a book, but sometimes it happens with a piece of original art, like so:

Cover Art to Amazing Spider-Man #239 893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif

... you just want to toss "market value, reason and all logic" out the window? I mean in a "this is not a key, it's not valuable, but I just want to get it" sort of way?

I think I'm about there, which obviously doesn't happen very often, and I'm starting to zone.

... you just want to toss "market value, reason and all logic" out the window? I mean in a "this is not a key, it's not valuable, but I just want to get it" sort of way?

I think I'm about there, which obviously doesn't happen very often, and I'm starting to zone.

Solar #11 is a $5 book...maybe $8 including shipping. Maybe.

I would definitely pay $30 for a CGC 9.8.

I MIGHT pay $50 for a CGC 9.8.

So this "zone" you're describing MUST be what happened to the buyer here...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2230028193

The question is.... WHY??? grin.gif

We both know why Greg he seriously loves collecting Valiants no matter what the cost.... as a seller I must say 893applaud-thumb.gif to aug002 I need to list more Valiants for him to buy. grin.gif

We both know why Greg he seriously loves collecting Valiants no matter what the cost.... as a seller I must say 893applaud-thumb.gif to aug002 I need to list more Valiants for him to buy. grin.gif

Well, here's the thing about that...

I'm a huge Valiant fan, no doubt... but I'm also a realistic Valiant fan.

I am honestly confused about why anyone would pay $300+ for that book.

I've even asked the buyer "aug002" what he's thinking...

(Not in so many terms, but along the lines of: "Wow! I see you're really setting

some new records for prices of Valiant books... can I ask what draws you to Valiant?")

No response.

His feedback proves that he's legit... but I can't figure it out.

For the kind of money he's spending on CGC graded Valiant books, he could

probably put in a serious bid to get the licenses for the characters back from

Acclaim and Classic Media.

I'd rather own the character licenses than the books... (Who wouldn't?)

It's got me worried that others will see the bids, presume those are "going rates"

and then be extremely upset when their CGC graded books sell for a fraction.

For example... check out these two auctions... one week apart:

Magnus #7 CGC 9.8 - sold on March 8th for $202.50

Magnus #7 CGC 9.8 - sold on March 15th for $52.02

Identical books... from the same seller... using the same starting bid, and no reserve.

Honestly, even $52.02 is more than I would pay. I think my bid was about $40.

On one hand, I'm stunned... Valiant books selling for unbelievable prices.

On the other hand, I'm cautious... because I don't believe they're sustainable prices.

(And that one example proves how volatile it can be for the buyer and the seller.)

For me that book is a 9.8 ASM 290 and FF special 6. Just a cool books and stories, love the covers and i was just a kid when I bought the ASM 290 originally. to make it worse, its impossible to find one in that grade for superficial reasons (cover white/black).

I've sold many books to Aug. The guy always pays within 2 hours of auction's end, always thanks me afterward and always leaves positive feedback. Doesnt say much else though.

I think he has some kind of disorder. insane.gif

I payed $100 for the Marvel Milestone Edition of Strange Tales. Yes, it's a reprint book and yes it did come out recently, but it is literally one of the hardest Doctor Strange comic books to find. The print run was minimal, and CGC hasn't graded one copy in their census.

Funny thing is, I found a second copy a little while after shelling out the $100 for about a tenth of the price. doh!

mme.jpg