• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

News Article Asks: Why Are There So Few Black Supervillains?

71 posts in this topic

The answer is: Not enough black comic writers and artists

How about black comic book readers?

How many are here on the CGC forum?

Just based on my observations (because I am interested in the demographics of the hobby and am happy that the hobby, at least around me, encompasses many groups):

At the comic shops I tend to go to in Manhattan and Brooklyn my guess would be that african american readers account for roughly the same % of buying new comics as the african american population in NYC...so around 15-20% or so (african american men may actually be a higher % of readers than pop % because I almost never see an african american woman buying comics, whereas there are definitely some female white/latino/asian customers at the stores). obviously the # will be lower in des moines or omaha. collecting back issues would be a substantially lower % at the shops, it's more about reading/picking up the monthly pull list. the collectors are mainly a bunch of 35 - 65 year old white/latino guys with some male asian collectors as well (I honeslty do not believe the census numbers in NYC for asian americans, which I am pretty sure are WAYYYY lower than reality).

"writing about black comic book villains is freighted with either ugly stereotypes about black men or self-conscious reactions against those stereotypes"

There's the answer.

I can remember Stan Lee (or someone similar) writing about this, and how they were very careful to create "multi-ethnic" gangs/thugs and sensitive to racial issues during the formative Marvel era of the 60's and 70's, when 99% of the major characters were created. Apparently, beating up white super-villains was A-Okay and wouldn't get Marvel any adverse attention.

Back then, had Marvel created a pile of black villains, the Black Panthers would probably have burned down their offices. Different times.

This is the same author that wrote "8 Theories on Why College Kids Are Studying Less”. The writer is obviously as irrelevant as his articles. He's trying to stir up controversy where there isn't any.

I would bet real money that had Marvel created a disproportionate number of black super-villains, this same author would have written a piece slamming the media for "creating a stereotype that all powerful black men are evil!".

I would bet real money that had Marvel created a disproportionate number of black super-villains, this same author would have written a piece slamming the media for "creating a stereotype that all powerful black men are evil!".

Spot on. With the hypersensitivity and politicalization of racial issues, there is no winning.

This is the same author that wrote "8 Theories on Why College Kids Are Studying Less”. The writer is obviously as irrelevant as his articles. He's trying to stir up controversy where there isn't any.

When you lack talent, cause controversy. If you stink at both you get made fun of on this board. :P