• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2010 Collecting Goals- How'd you do?

70 posts in this topic

In essence, this year, I've discovered the joy of the small con, the thrill of owning a piece of OA, and the dream of meeting one the great influences on your life. I'm actually kind of amazed that I managed to accomplish so many of my goals so quickly, without really even planning to, but opportunities lined themselves up and I was able to take advantage of them. I could honestly quit now and be happy, but I'm hoping for an even more exciting 2011 . . . this is just the beginning . . .

Great post. I can sense the passion from your writing.

The next step is often attending cons and getting to recognize and know people so it comes to be about more than just comics but also finding like minded people.

Thanks for posting that!

(thumbs u

Thank you! And again, I'm really glad to be a part of these boards--it's great to have a place like this to share these kinds of experiences (speaking of finding like minded people) where they will be appreciated. I've enjoyed reading this thread and seeing what others of you have been after and how you've fared. Best of luck for the rest of this year and in 2011!

(And when I get my books back from CGC, I'll be sure to post them)

My one big goal was the complete my run of, NM or better, Diana Prince de-powered Wonder Woman covers and it was a success !

My secondary goal was (not kidding about this) to complete a CGC 9.8 run of Speedball books and that has proven to be really difficult.

Here's what I wrote as my goals:

1) Buy more HG Conan comics with great covers (now that I got my SS gift from paperheart, I'll finally dive into some Savage Tales/Sword, too)

2) Find a graded UXM 210 in 9.8.

3) Buy a non-Edgar Rice Burroughs, non-Robert E. Howard comic that features a damsel in distress so I can expand the DiD collection.

4) Buy a comic printed before the Bronze Age. \(thumbs u

5) Keep reading and sampling comics that are new to me to expand my appreciation of the world of comics.

I also want to learn to grade, but every time I consider it, I realize that "good enough" vs. "not good enough" is all I need to know for now.

I managed to buy a handful more Conan books, but that's the only goal on the list that I managed. I did read and sample other comics, but I'm yet to buy any.

I can't focus to save my life. :sorry:

My one big goal was the complete my run of, NM or better, Diana Prince de-powered Wonder Woman covers and it was a success !

My secondary goal was (not kidding about this) to complete a CGC 9.8 run of Speedball books and that has proven to be really difficult.

The second I can see as very difficult. Speedball, Guardians of the Galaxy, and Darkhawk are likely 3 of the most difficult CA runs in 9.8, excluding independent published books.

I've spent close to 90k on collections this year to sell and to keep. More than I ever thought I would. (and I'm not rich)

Books I was very very happy to add to my collection include some of the following:

marines3.jpg

allamerican61.jpg

rangers25.jpg

LuckyLuciano.jpg

LittleCaesarAvon.jpg

MysteryMan3.jpg

Det31crop.jpg

Wonderworld7.jpg

SingleSeries20-1.jpg

sparkler34.jpg

shock7.jpg

Funnies40.jpg

scan0007-2.jpg

scan0008-2.jpg

Pulling out of a couple of extraordinarily horrible years I made a slight come back. I was able to buy numerous gold books that i had never had and was even able to get back a couple that I had gotten rid of years ago.

I also made it to my first convention in quite some time and was able to begin replenishing the books I bought when I was a kid in the 80s and 90s, luckily they are still in 50 cent boxes that get a bulk discount!

I would be very happy to do half next year of what I did this year :)

The second I can see as very difficult. Speedball, Guardians of the Galaxy, and Darkhawk are likely 3 of the most difficult CA runs in 9.8, excluding independent published books.

I think I have unread runs of all three. hm

I'm probably in the same boat.

It has been much more difficult than I had thought. With the Wonder Woman books there was only one Jerry Lewis $117 book graded above a 9.2 and I managed to find that but try to find a NM+ Speedball #10 seems to be impossible. :tonofbricks:

I'm probably in the same boat.

If you think they might be 9.8 candidates and would consider selling let me know!