• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coverless GA Books - Worth Anything?

9 posts in this topic

I know that's a vague question, but a buddy has a pile of coverless GA books and he's going to bring them to me this week-end. Any $$$ value for non-key, books?

I hope they're not all funny animal... And how do you figure out the title and issue #? Isn't the indicia on the inside of the FC?

Thanks!

I know that's a vague question, but a buddy has a pile of coverless GA books and he's going to bring them to me this week-end. Any $$$ value for non-key, books?

I hope they're not all funny animal... And how do you figure out the title and issue #? Isn't the indicia on the inside of the FC?

Thanks!

My experience is that GA without covers sell for 25% of the Overstreet good price more or less. If they are yellow and brittle, they are worth much less. Timely issues may go for as high as 50% on ebay. Bulk lots can be discounted even further when buying on ebay. It probably has something to do with the availability of covers. Someone can bid up the price if they already have a cover.

I usually check my files to see whether I can match the splash page with a comic or scan (from GAC) that I have. The GCD (database) is also a good source. You can type in the story title and most likely a search will give you the issue. You can also search through the title of the comic for stories or characters that match. The Gerber Guide and Keltner Index are also useful. The final solution is to post the comic splash page in the golden age section of the boards and BZ or Scrooge or one of the other guys will probably come up with the title, issue number, artist name and the publisher.

I think it is great fun to go searching through a big lot of comics to identify the issues but some people may be bored by it. The other draw back is that the value of the comic will not increase as much percentage wise as high grade. Dealers probably only offer 5-10% of the good Overstreet price if they offer anything at all. Have fun and post a few for the rest of us to see if you need help.

bb

I would personally be interested in any coverless ECs if there are any. (thumbs u

And I've got some slabbed early WDC&S I won't have to crack out if I can get coverless copies. :wishluck:

Thanks!

My experience is that GA without covers sell for 25% of the Overstreet good price more or less. If they are yellow and brittle, they are worth much less. Timely issues may go for as high as 50% on ebay. Bulk lots can be discounted even further when buying on ebay. It probably has something to do with the availability of covers. Someone can bid up the price if they already have a cover.

I usually check my files to see whether I can match the splash page with a comic or scan (from GAC) that I have. The GCD (database) is also a good source. You can type in the story title and most likely a search will give you the issue. You can also search through the title of the comic for stories or charcters that match. The Gerber Guide and Keltner Index are also useful. The final solution is to post the comic splash page in the golden age section of the boards and BZ or Scrooge or one of the other guys will probably come up with the title, issue number, artist name and the publisher.

I think it is great fun to go searching through a big lot of comics to identify the issues but some people may be bored by it. The other draw back is that the value of the comic will not increase as much percentage wise as high grade. Dealers probably only offer 5-10% of the good Overstreet price if they offer anything at all. Have fun and post a few for the rest of us to see if you need help.

bb

Thanks a million! GA is the one area I'm near clueless. I'm hoping he has some ECs.

Just this past week I sold a bunch of coverless, low-grade and damaged GA books. They were cheap - around 10% - 30% of good. As long as you buy them cheap, you can make some money.

Part 2 of my sale is coming up. Check the GA/SA/BA marketplace this Sunday. I'll have a Star Spangled 1, Green Hornet 1 and ton of lesser books - all coverless!

I have been dealing in coverless (or worse) for about 20 years. I usually

price them around 1/3 of the good price if they are in relatively good shape.

Timely's go higher. If I am getting things for my collection (missing or upgrades),

I hope to buy items for no more than 25 % of good.

To identify the title, you will often find that the last panel of a story will hoave

something like "xx-man will appear in the next issue of yy comics."

One way to get an approximate idea of the issue number is to look at the

house ads. Fore example, Sensation and Star Spangled were in lock step

for the first 100 issues of Sensation. Sensantion issue n came out the

same month as Star Spangled n+3.

Issues which have the publishers data ( a notarized) document typically

have the signed date of October 4x. This is usually printed in the issues

cover dated Jan or Feb 4x+1.

Ads for contests saying "contest ends mm yy" can come out as much as

18 months before that date.

Keltner's work is very helpful. The book he put out shortly before he died

is extremely useful for super hero books.

Now the various sites in the internet mentioned above are very helpful. In fact,

it is often easier to use them than to use tho old hard copy items mentioned

here.

Ultimately the best way to be certain that your coverless copy is accurately

identified is to have a complete collection in at least G condition. :laugh: