• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

You buy an old house and...

61 posts in this topic

Let's throw up a hypothetical scenario...

You buy an old house and during remodeling you stumble across a comic that has been hidden inside the wall. You notice that it was published by DC and the date is 1939. The comic features a superhero type character, for the sake of argument we'll call him Brunzo-Man. It's the #1 issue and it's a nice looking 6.0ish grade. Brunzo-Man is actually a neat character and the comic is quite entertaining.

You research and can't find any information on the comic or the character. Through heavy investigation and quizzing experts, you come to the consensus that it is a book so rare that you own the only copy known to exist. Not only is it the only copy known, nobody has any info of it ever being printed.

Now what do you do with it? Do you keep it or sell it? Who would you sell it through?

Provided it's deemed legit by comic experts and receives publicity, what's your guess on the hammer price?

Dude, I love you and all but your posts used to be interesting.

Where is the real Dice?

:cry:

He's getting old, Roy. I'll be ting my pants in a few years. :cry:

Have a supply on Depends on hand in the fallout shelter.

Provided it's deemed legit by comic experts and receives publicity, what's your guess on the hammer price?

It would probably do okay, but likely not what you'd expect. Rarity has never been a very big factor among comics collectors as it is with baseball card, coin or stamp collectors. There are plenty of Gerber 8s and even 9s out there that can generally be had for under $1000. If it isn't one of the "hot" characters, rare or not, there is only going to be a certain specialized demand.

In my research for pulps I turned up a couple of issues not previously known to have existed. Pulp collectors are even a little more into seeking out rarities than comics folks, and still these brought under $1000 if I recall.

Being a DC would help... but assuming it's survived in moderate condition... I'm guessing you're talking tens of thousands rather than "Action Comics" levels. If it's a humor book... probably even less.

Where is the real Dice?

The good old days. When Dice would take someone apart at the seams and leave them unable to link three coherent words together to form a simple sentence. :cloud9:

DR.X

I learned it from the Boogie Woogie Man.

Woo! Mercy! :acclaim:

HJV1.jpg

HANDSOMEJIMMY.jpg

DR.X

Where is the real Dice?

The good old days. When Dice would take someone apart at the seams and leave them unable to link three coherent words together to form a simple sentence. :cloud9:

DR.X

I learned it from the Boogie Woogie Man.

Woo! Mercy! :acclaim:

HJV1.jpg

HANDSOMEJIMMY.jpg

DR.X

The greatest wrestler to ever lace up a pair of boots. (worship)

:cloud9:

:(

I'm always happy when I see your new purchases in the TWIYC thread. It brings me joy to see that even a huge setback such as a fire didn't you from doing what you love :)

huh? I am not sure you is talking to me..I haven't bought a thing since the fire (shrug) One friend did send me a CGC book and some issues he got for me at a con (Thanks FFF) Sorry to say I sort of lost the spark right now since my husband did save some of his he is still looking..but me ..not so much..I still like chatting about them and am interested in going to cons but mostly to see old friends..I don't see myself digging through long boxes to start from scratch

Best way to ease the loss of a dear kitty friend, is to get a new kitten.

Well the partment only allows 1 cat or pet per unit (luckily they did not charge a pet deposit or pet rent) so the old barn cat made a unbelievably smooth transition to being an inside only cat..he's gained like 8 pounds lol when he sits around..he really sits around..now he is a big baby..

but everytime we see one of those signs that says "Free Kittens" I look up at my husband with googoogley eyes and before I start he says "NO NO NO" lol

My Adventure 40 was found inside a wall and was discovered by either some workers working on the pipes in the house or the painters.. Too bad the book was stained with liquid, but truly a neat find!

If I remember I knew someone who found a bunch of comics in a large dumpster being used by a contruction crew they found a haul of old golden age books in the walls of a house being demolished and tossed them out..

I love those finds..

My dad said that when he was little he and his brothers hid treasures buried in mason jars on the property thye moved andwent back trying to find their old marbles,coins,matchbox cars etc..and never did I would love to find something cool like that..

I'm always happy when I see your new purchases in the TWIYC thread. It brings me joy to see that even a huge setback such as a fire didn't you from doing what you love :)

huh? I am not sure you is talking to me..I haven't bought a thing since the fire (shrug) One friend did send me a CGC book and some issues he got for me at a con (Thanks FFF) Sorry to say I sort of lost the spark right now since my husband did save some of his he is still looking..but me ..not so much..I still like chatting about them and am interested in going to cons but mostly to see old friends..I don't see myself digging through long boxes to start from scratch

My bad... you have a very similar-looking profile to another member... :sorry:

My bad... you have a very similar-looking profile to another member... :sorry:

Thanks for thinking of me anyways!! :foryou: Fing Fang Foom sent me some books to try to cheer me up and it is fun seeing other people here buy some cool stuff I could never afford anyway!

really?someone looks like ME??? Check my avatar because if I have a doppleganger..I could use a double to wait in lines for me and stuff..

Not your avatar, just the general look of your post :shy:

Hmm interesting..well the avatar is me..so accept no imitations!! haha

really?someone looks like ME??? Check my avatar because if I have a doppleganger..I could use a double to wait in lines for me and stuff..

Not your avatar, just the general look of your post :shy:

Hmm interesting..well the avatar is me..so accept no imitations!! haha

Your avatar is small, post some real pics. :popcorn:

My Adventure 40 was found inside a wall and was discovered by either some workers working on the pipes in the house or the painters.. Too bad the book was stained with liquid, but truly a neat find!

If I remember I knew someone who found a bunch of comics in a large dumpster being used by a contruction crew they found a haul of old golden age books in the walls of a house being demolished and tossed them out..

I love those finds..

My dad said that when he was little he and his brothers hid treasures buried in mason jars on the property thye moved andwent back trying to find their old marbles,coins,matchbox cars etc..and never did I would love to find something cool like that..

That's a neat story.. What books did they find in the dumpster? I'm still wondering how/why comics were placed inside walls.. I mean why can't it be stored in the attic or the basement? I've heard a couple of stories too about comics being found in the dumpster.. If I'm not mistaken, I believe one of the GA pedigrees was found in one.

I too would love to find some hidden treasures like that.. Hopefully I can find a Tec 27 :cloud9: