• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My son and his AF15!

48 posts in this topic

This is bar none-- The best thread EVER!

Thanks for making my day with you inspiring story... I have a little group of silver keys tucked away for my One year old son as well. Can't wait till I can 'geek brainwash' him enough to appreciate them.

Thanks for the post. made my day.

This is bar none-- The best thread EVER!

Thanks for making my day with you inspiring story... I have a little group of silver keys tucked away for my One year old son as well. Can't wait till I can 'geek brainwash' him enough to appreciate them.

Thanks for the post. made my day.

Thanks!!!

I keep reading all these doom and gloom posts about the end of comics and kids not caring. Believe me, I agree the industry is in some trouble but I think there are enough of us doing things like this with our kids to keep comics alive and well. Whether it's an AF15 or a beat up ASM 643, if we get our kids into it and excited about comics, enough of them will stay in the hobby to keep the industry alive and well for generations to come!

HOPEFULLY!

Thanks for reading and the comments guys!

My mom said to me one time when I was 15, "John life does not revolve around the comic book store."

hm

The only two times in my life when I did not listen to my parents, and this was one of them. (thumbs u

Now my parents see where I literally makes thousands of "free" money now from comics, and they are glad I that I didn't listen to them on that day.

Great story and a fantastic copy of AF 15. ^^

Excellent story.

My Dad sold his OO copy back in 1980 after my parents split. I didn't know of this at the time :cry: Sold for £20 ($30) or so.

Ever since I found out a few years later, I have held this comic as my grail. It is the first Marvel comic bought in out family's love affair with comics. Only I still collect, and it means far more to me than my Dad (or brother).

One day I hope to own a copy - it means a lot to me for reasons I am not quite sure of. Part of me probably thinks it has something to do with my parents splitting I dunno maybe Im getting too deep :screwy:

Either way I love the book and I love this story (thumbs u

Just a little background...

When i was a kid growing up in Ohio in the early 80's, my LCS had the sweetest OO copy of AF15 sitting there for years. I would sit and stare at it endlessly 2-3 times a week dreaming of buying it. I still distinctly remember it was $1200.

I saved up for YEARS, only asked for money for Bdays and Christmas/Chanukkah, raked every leaf, shovelled every driveway in the neighborhood and saved every dime i ever got to buy it. I finally had enough saved up when i was 13 and then my parents wouldnt let me buy it even though they said i could if i saved the money. I was CRUSHED but they thought comics were a waste of money and would get upset when i bought $2,3,4,5 back issues. They thought it was INSANE to spend $1200 on a comic book and that was that, i couldnt get it. Then, one day i went in to the store and it was gone :( I swore i would NEVER be like that with my kids when i grew up.

Fast forward 25 years and i have a 6 year old son who is REALLY into superheroes and comics. LOVES them! I put some money away for him each year and got really lucky with some Sirius stock i bought him a few years ago(thank you Howard Stern!!!). Rather than buy more stocks in this market, i thought a decent AF 15 would be a better/ more enjoyable investment for him. I used some of the money and got him his own AF15 in the last Clink auction and it just finally got here the other day.

I havent and wont give him to him until he is at least 16-18 but i at least wanted to get a pic of him with it so that he would have it when he got older. Hopefully, in 10-12 years, he'll be REALLY stoked when i give this to him! Heres the pics of him holding his AF15 in front of a AF15 poster i got him for his room for Chanukkah this year :cloud9:

darren1-1.jpg

darren2.jpg

(thumbs u Defintely something I would want to do for my son! Glad you shared your story

great story!

and my old copy :banana:

Well wherever it is, a huge congratulations, that is the true grail and I can't imagine how rewarding it must have felt to finally have it after so many years and being able to give it to your son just made it that much better. I hope he looks back at it in many years to come and can appreciate the huge gesture.

Wonderful story, thanks for sharing Jason. :applause:

My own AF15 "horror story" goes like this. It was back in 1993, a little after the White Mountain sales at Sothebys when I came to an agreement with the shop owners of Hi De Hoo Comics in Santa Monica, CA to purchase (on time payment) some choice books they got in. They included (if memory serves) a sharp VF/NM Avengers # 2, a nice VF/NM Spidey # 14, and the real gem of the bunch, a solid Fine AF 15 (which they had price around $2,000 or so). The book had some spine wear, but the edges and corners were that of a NM book, so I was more then happy to acquire it (I was 19 at the time).

Anyway, I worked two jobs and went to school full time and made regular $300 payments on those books. One day I go in to make another payment, and I ask to see the books (occasionally looking at them through the mylar provided a certain "inspiration"). They look for the books in the safe (which were in a seperate blue bag with my time payment tag - which highlighted my payments made), and they just couldn't find them. They simply weren't there.

The two brothers, Mark especially, about had a fit that $3,300 in books had gone missing from the safe. They apologized profusely, refunded the money I had paid them, and went ahead and really "locked down" their protocols on who had access to the safe (basically, the two owners and the store manager after that, no one else).

And so, some 18 years later, I'm still left to wonder what happened to that sweet mid grade AF 15 with the super sharp edges and in whose possession it may be today.

In the late 1970s, when I first got into comics, my LCS had an AF15 for $300. I'd say it was a FN (I was 10, but I remember the book very clearly.) The same shop had a copy of Fantastic Four #1 in lesser condition for $700. I never had anywhere the money to go after them, but they were nice to see, even back then.

Shep

I'd say it was a FN (I was 10, but I remember the book very clearly.)

Yep, you do tend to remember your first look at an AF #15. I can still see the one in my LCS that was literally taken from me by that phone call like it was yesterday.

Aside from the gorgeous long runs of Marvels, there were also ridiculous silver age DCs. I collected nothing but war comics (even then) and passed over a long, long, long run of Showcase and Brave and Bolds going back to the late '50s. I bought Showase #58 (Enemy Ace) which I still have. Aside from the spine wear and the tape pull (!) it was by all account an NM book when I bought it - it remains glossy and has bone-white pages. It was a buck!

Happily, my son now has the war comic bug like his old man, and we are putting together a mid-grade DC war run from 1970 to the 1988. There is NOTHING like sharing the hobby with your kid!

Shep