• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is there a place to order comics in the stated grade?

26 posts in this topic

I am really wondering if there is a place on the internet to order copper and modern issues in their advertised grade consistently. I am tired of wasting my time and money on ordering comics online. I did put up a WTB but noone replied and my LCS in the area do not carry Archie backstock.

What is the alternative? Seriously, these comics are so out of VF/NM it is shameful that a seller would want to send it out. No, for the most part these were not ebay orders per say.

If anyone has any sites that are good to order from for Moderns and Copper please post them. Thank you.

These are not new releases. I am looking for a series in the 90's and one in the 80's. The one from the 80's I have ordered from many different sellers to just get disappointed time and time again. These last two orders are the last straw. I am just throwing money away.

Have you tried Doug Sulipa?

Just googled him and found his site. So, what, you email him a want list and the grade you desire, and a few days later, he lets you know if he has what you need?

Does he typically deal in high grade or low? I'm interested in tons of copper aged books, but only if they're in the 9.6 or better range.

These are not new releases. I am looking for a series in the 90's and one in the 80's. The one from the 80's I have ordered from many different sellers to just get disappointed time and time again. These last two orders are the last straw. I am just throwing money away.

PM Marc, HouseofComics on this site. He just got in a 40,000 book collection that spans the late bronze age up to 2002. Many of the 80s and 90s books are original owner and in great condition.

Yes, you email Doug and he gets back to you with the grade on the book. Doug sold the Winnipegs (?) to the community at large and IIRC, his grading was very consistent with how they slabbed. Greggy can inform you better on that than I can. Doug is good at getting back to you. Despite being outdated the website is fairly updated. Personally, I prefer an updated inventory to a outdated one on a bell and whistle website.

Yes, you email Doug and he gets back to you with the grade on the book. Doug sold the Winnipegs (?) to the community at large and IIRC, his grading was very consistent with how they slabbed. Greggy can inform you better on that than I can. Doug is good at getting back to you. Despite being outdated the website is fairly updated. Personally, I prefer an updated inventory to a outdated one on a bell and whistle website.

That's interesting. For some reason I thought this listing are stale. He had a few digest that I was looking for in any condition.

Edit: Thanks for post his site. He actually has the Cheryl Blossom issues.

I am really wondering if there is a place on the internet to order copper and modern issues in their advertised grade consistently. I am tired of wasting my time and money on ordering comics online. I did put up a WTB but noone replied and my LCS in the area do not carry Archie backstock.

What is the alternative? Seriously, these comics are so out of VF/NM it is shameful that a seller would want to send it out. No, for the most part these were not ebay orders per say.

If anyone has any sites that are good to order from for Moderns and Copper please post them. Thank you.

Alternative you say?

If you want to think out of the box then try Amazon.com for hardcovers/tradepaperbacks since just about every marvel/dc copper/modern has been reprinted in that form. other plusses are the books will be printed on better paper,fast guaranteed shipping and 99 percent of the time near mint condition.

Thats how I have been buying my modern/copper stuff the last year for reading. I love reading great comic sagas from the copper/modern ages in hardcover form, plus it looks good on the shelf. (thumbs u

Alternative you say?

If you want to think out of the box then try Amazon.com for hardcovers/tradepaperbacks since just about every marvel/dc copper/modern has been reprinted in that form. other plusses are the books will be printed on better paper,fast guaranteed shipping and 99 percent of the time near mint condition.

Thats how I have been buying my modern/copper stuff the last year for reading. I love reading great comic sagas from the copper/modern ages in hardcover form, plus it looks good on the shelf. (thumbs u

I got the impression the op is looking for books to collect, not read. VF/NM aren't exactly readers :)

What titles are you looking for? Looking for Slabbed or raw?

PM Marc, HouseofComics on this site. He just got in a 40,000 book collection that spans the late bronze age up to 2002. Many of the 80s and 90s books are original owner and in great condition.

:applause:

Alternative you say?

If you read my post, I am trying to collect Archie comics. These are not collected and normally have a low print run. My LCS don't carry backstock on these type of comics. If I am lucky, an owner will purchase a collection. One did but I missed out on the single issues and he just showed me some GA Archies. But I don't collect GA and he couldn't tell me what he wanted for them.

Alternative you say?

I got the impression the op is looking for books to collect, not read. VF/NM aren't exactly readers :)

What titles are you looking for? Looking for Slabbed or raw?

Actually, I am looking to read them. If they are modern there is no reason why I shouldn't be reading a HG book. I am looking for HG because I want to keep these in my collection.

Doug Sulipa is a great suggestion - I've bought from Doug and have never had a problem. Although on higher ticket items, I would ask for a scan (he disclaims on his site that he may charge to do this, but if its a large order, I don't think he will bother).

It may prove to be wiser to comb through his online store to figure out what he's got as sending a want list by email may take some time for him to get back to you on what he's got. This has been my experience anyway.

I too have a large inventory of copper and modern comics which aren't in either of my online stores. It has become more focused over the years on Canadian Price Variants and it can be scattered, but there is some good continuity in most of the titles from a wide range of publishers. Currently Archie's are in low supply because every summer they are one of my best sellers at a local antique show, and now is the time of year where I build up the supply.

You're welcome to PM me your want list - just let me know grade thresholds and I'll only pull whatever I have in that grade or better, no lower.

Links to me board/eBay feedback is in my sig. (thumbs u

Alternative you say?

If you read my post, I am trying to collect Archie comics. These are not collected and normally have a low print run. My LCS don't carry backstock on these type of comics. If I am lucky, an owner will purchase a collection. One did but I missed out on the single issues and he just showed me some GA Archies. But I don't collect GA and he couldn't tell me what he wanted for them.

Well that leaves out this news then for the upcoming collections from Dark Horse and IDW. The Dark Horse start in April 2011.

Dark Horse ARCHIE Archives

and already started by IDW.

IDW Archie collections!

Since you collect a certain type of Archie era the best bet is DOUG SULIPA COMICS WORLD

Hope this info helps. :)

PM HouseofComics. Marc specializes in "off the beaten path" stuff like that. Plus, if he knows you want HG modernish Archies, he's likely to let you know when he gets them in. I was at his warehouse last week and saw several stacks of Archies from various eras.

For the record, his user name is HouseofComics.com. If you search for just HouseofComics, you won't get any hits.

Thanks for the tips, everyone. I've been in a similar boat for awhile now, and these suggestions might come in handy.

I do feel your pain. :( It's tough when you are looking for certain 80s/90s "dollar book"-type books, because most sellers -- even sellers that most of us would generally acclaim -- just don't put the time into grading these runs that they would with more valuable books. I've had better luck buying runs like these on the boards than elsewhere, but if no one here has what you want, you can be out of luck.