• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why slab all 40,000 books?

181 posts in this topic

In the latest CGC news, there is an article about a 40,000 book original owner collection that recently surfaced in Georgia. Pictures show that one book is a 6.0 and the story states that the older books were stored raw on shelves and in plastic bins. Seems pretty silly to slab each book if any of them fall into the 6.0 and under class.

sounds dopey to me too as presumably a lot of those more recent 6.0s from the late 60s - 80s in particular will not make back the slabbing fee, "pedigree" or not (and i seriously doubt this is an off the rack collection unless it is someone who bought 10 copies of everything on the rack)

stick those books in a sealed stiff mylar and a COA if they're going to insist on claiming "pedigree"

In the latest CGC news, there is an article about a 40,000 book original owner collection that recently surfaced in Georgia. Pictures show that one book is a 6.0 and the story states that the older books were stored raw on shelves and in plastic bins. Seems pretty silly to slab each book if any of them fall into the 6.0 and under class.

That is the collection that Shelton of Heroes in Charlotte brought to market.

CGC has given it the name of "Savannah Pedigree".

it's quite a spectacular collection with 42,000 books in it. I saw several boxes worth in NYC at Shelton's table and the early DC books were stunning with many tough books in higher grades.

Shelton originally told me about the collection in May or June and I was supposed to head down to Charlotte to take a look at it. The summer got so busy that I forgot all about it until I saw him in NYC in October.

I'm guessing that many of the lesser books might be slabbed just to get the Pedigree designation on the slab. There are enough high quality books in the collection that even if a few low value books are slabbed that it won't really affect the bottom line. It's a pretty big find from what I understand.

Wish I kept up with Shelton on this in June. lol:cry:

Heritage will be marketing the entire collection.

the showcase #22 is an 8.0. the aquaman #4 is a 9.6. the 6.0 you refer to is a showcase #4

Yup. I saw the Showcase books and the #22 looked like a VF but a really nice looking one.

This collection is pretty big news.

the early DC books were stunning with many tough books in higher grades.

What's the date at which the books start looking good in the collection?

Funnily enough they bounce all over the place in grade and page quality. There are some 8.0 and 9.6 books sitting beside each other. I didn't see enough books to notice a pattern. The books were tightly packed in the boxes and I simply pulled out a few sample books here and there.

I spent most of my time talking to Shelton about it rather than looking at books as I had an interest in the entire collection.

Funnily enough they bounce all over the place in grade and page quality. There are some 8.0 and 9.6 books sitting beside each other. I didn't see enough books to notice a pattern. The books were tightly packed in the boxes and I simply pulled out a few sample books here and there.

I spent most of my time talking to Shelton about it rather than looking at books as I had an interest in the entire collection.

Date range? 40K is a big collection. Are there multiples?

roy,

bigger $ than the mound city?

the showcase #22 is an 8.0. the aquaman #4 is a 9.6. the 6.0 you refer to is a showcase #4

Yup. I saw the Showcase books and the #22 looked like a VF but a really nice looking one.

This collection is pretty big news.

Here is the SC 22...

http://comics.www.collectors-society.com/usercontent/images/article_images/savannah2.jpg

roy,

bigger $ than the mound city?

Date range? 40K is a big collection. Are there multiples?

Guys, all my notes were on my laptop which is now pooched.

Don't think there were many duplicates, $ value is hard to say as I don't know enough of the collection. Don't know about any "mega" dollar keys yet. At the time we spoke Shelton had not even gone through much of it.

I know that the late 1950's stuff is low to mid grade with a few higher grade books sprinkled in and then in the 1960's the grade goes up as it does with most collections.

I did think the Showcase #22 looked like a really nice, clean book and thought it would grade about 8.5 or so. That was the one book I looked at closely.

I think alot of people, as the years go by, will be looking to collect old comic books in slabbed condition in ALL the conditions.....just so they can see the cover, reference it, talk about it and share it with people.

I don't see the point of slabbing moderns....... but anything from 1975 or older.... heck yea !!

Shelton originally told me about the collection in May or June and I was supposed to head down to Charlotte to take a look at it. The summer got so busy that I forgot all about it until I saw him in NYC in October.

Must have been responding to PM's.

:baiting:

Must have been responding to PM's.

:baiting:

Aye, verily.

lol

Actually, Shelton was so tired after his show in June that he kept putting off cataloging the collection and by then the full summer con season was underway so we were both running all over the country. July and August were super busy for me as i picked up a new collection and was tied up and by the time we made contact in October everyone had already heard about it.

Sure would have been nice though.

Slabbing 40,000 books has to cost a million bucks, no? Who is laying out that sort of cash? Wouldn't it make much more sense to prescreen and slab a few thousand of them? From the little I read, it seems the collection has an awful lot of modern books in it. I just don't get it.

Maybe CGC offers some sort of bulk submission rate? After all, getting 40,000 submissions is a huge account.

It`s possible that slabbing everything was one of Heritage`s conditions for taking the entire collection. After all, I`m sure they don`t want to deal with a lot of modern drek anymore than any other dealer/auction house does, so if the condition for Heritage getting the good books was that they had to take everything, they may have imposed a counter-condition that everything had to be slabbed in order for them to be able to move everything.

I would guess that even the drekkiest drek will move if it`s in a slab.