• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why slab all 40,000 books?

181 posts in this topic

The first line on my post was a quote from mwebber from the previous page. My question wasn't answered about whether heritage owns part or all of cgc.

If you're sincerely asking that question, you could have found out from the CGC wikipedia entry, which cites these very forums for this post by the owner of Heritage. James Halperin (& his business partner) own a minority, non-voting, stake in CGC.

Yes I was sincerely asking that question. Thank you for answering the question.I tried doing a search on here and couldn't find anything, and I seldom ever use wikipedia. With that answer I have to say this is a conflict of interests. Cgc states on it's website employees can't commercially buy or sell graded books, but its ok for an owner of cgc to do so? I understand they aren't technically buying the books just auctioning them off but you have the former head of grading bringing them to cgc to be graded. I don't like the to close relationship that is going on here. Before everyone jumps on me which I am sure they will step off the cgc fan boy soap boxes and look at it from an objective point of view. Mind you I defend cgc to other people I know who really disagree with grading services and there is no way I would really be able to defend this one.

I see your point. Kind of like how CGC employees arent supposed to buy and sell comics. At least I believe that is what the rule was. But you could always have a relative do the buying and selling.

http://www.cgccomics.com/grading/

"CGC employees are prohibited from commercially buying or selling comic books, eliminating any potential conflicts of interest."

But friends and family can do it for you :devil:

From the grades and PQ of the Savannah books I've seen so far, if Heritage is leveraging better grades than are warranted, they would have done better doing dollar bin diving at any convention. Seems an odd point to start cranking up the tired old 'conflict of interest' hoo-ha that comes around. Given the dates of joining, it seems like the grinch has joined the boards for Christmas. Either that one another one of the unending line of trolls.

The first line on my post was a quote from mwebber from the previous page. My question wasn't answered about whether heritage owns part or all of cgc.

If you're sincerely asking that question, you could have found out from the CGC wikipedia entry, which cites these very forums for this post by the owner of Heritage. James Halperin (& his business partner) own a minority, non-voting, stake in CGC.

Yes I was sincerely asking that question. Thank you for answering the question.I tried doing a search on here and couldn't find anything, and I seldom ever use wikipedia. With that answer I have to say this is a conflict of interests. Cgc states on it's website employees can't commercially buy or sell graded books, but its ok for an owner of cgc to do so? I understand they aren't technically buying the books just auctioning them off but you have the former head of grading bringing them to cgc to be graded. I don't like the to close relationship that is going on here. Before everyone jumps on me which I am sure they will step off the cgc fan boy soap boxes and look at it from an objective point of view. Mind you I defend cgc to other people I know who really disagree with grading services and there is no way I would really be able to defend this one.

I see your point. Kind of like how CGC employees arent supposed to buy and sell comics. At least I believe that is what the rule was. But you could always have a relative do the buying and selling.

"CGC employees are prohibited from commercially buying or selling comic books, eliminating any potential conflicts of interest."

Oh, of course. But that's a big risk with the detectives on this Board (and others) :juggle:

From the grades and PQ of the Savannah books I've seen so far, if Heritage is leveraging better grades than are warranted, they would have done better doing dollar bin diving at any convention. Seems an odd point to start cranking up the tired old 'conflict of interest' hoo-ha that comes around. Given the dates of joining, it seems like the grinch has joined the boards for Christmas. Either that one another one of the unending line of trolls.

If you're refering to my post about Matt and Heritage, I didn't specifically mean the past couple weeks. I'm talking about the past 7 - 10 years.

arctic shill approaching from the north. you'd think these insufficiently_thoughtful_persons would get a life

Aren't they allowed to buy raw books? That was always my understanding.

They can buy new books at their LCS every week, to read. I don't think that contradicts the above quote.

I'm sorry I didn't join a few years back but I just got back into comic book collecting earlier this year. I only found my way to these boards 3 months ago or so. I have gotten a lot of useful information just reading the forums. I always tend to just lurk if you want to call it that and just read what other people are talking about. I don't usually like getting involved in bickering that seems to flare up from time to time but this got my interest for sure. Like I stated previously I have always been on the fence at best about grading services period, I blame grading for killing off part of my beloved sports card collecting industry the rest I blame on all the chase cards and other crapp the companies started putting into the packs of cards. From reading the link someone provided about that Forbes article and other related evidence I can see I am not the only one who has serious concern over the relationships that are going on here. And I have to ask how anonymous can the submission process be when someone shows up at cgc with all the books to be graded? I am not the grinch but if you want me to play the part I will. I am a person who values honesty above all else. You could ask any of my kids that and they will tell you the same thing, I want the truth regardless of how bad it may be.

arctic shill approaching from the north. you'd think these insufficiently_thoughtful_persons would get a life

Yes, impugning the professional repuation of others based on zero evidence seems to put thrills in the loins of a certain class of folks. After being in a service industry for 25 years, I've always found that the folks who state things like this about others are, in actuality, the ones most likely to abuse their power in such situations. They just assume everyone is as unethical as they are.

I'm sorry I didn't join a few years back but I just got back into comic book collecting earlier this year. I only found my way to these boards 3 months ago or so. I have gotten a lot of useful information just reading the forums. I always tend to just lurk if you want to call it that and just read what other people are talking about. I don't usually like getting involved in bickering that seems to flare up from time to time but this got my interest for sure. Like I stated previously I have always been on the fence at best about grading services period, I blame grading for killing off part of my beloved sports card collecting industry the rest I blame on all the chase cards and other crapp the companies started putting into the packs of cards. From reading the link someone provided about that Forbes article and other related evidence I can see I am not the only one who has serious concern over the relationships that are going on here. And I have to ask how anonymous can the submission process be when someone shows up at cgc with all the books to be graded? I am not the grinch but if you want me to play the part I will. I am a person who values honesty above all else. You could ask any of my kids that and they will tell you the same thing, I want the truth regardless of how bad it may be.

The answer is easy. Don't buy slabbed books. Don't participate in a shady enterprise. Problem solved. Otherwise, show some evidence that Heritage gets bumped grades. I've never seen any and I've been 'back' in the hobby for a while now.

They can buy new books at their LCS every week, to read. I don't think that contradicts the above quote.

They can also buy SS books, submit and sell SS books, buy books for their collections, and sell books with approval. Its a lol situation.

I see this thread has taken a left turn:

1) Why sell to a dealer and not consign them? Because you want a block lump sum and don't want to get paid out over time. This may have to do with a variety of different issues including the fact that you want to resolve the estate quickly. It's likely that they knew they could get more at auction but wanted the money ASAP. Lots of people make this decision every day. If you're thinking, well, why not take an advance. Well, it's like a loan, and Heritage charges you interest. You also may not be sophisticated enough to know the market and the family may have been instructed, if I ever pass away, call "this guy" (Shelton) and have him take care of the collection.

2) Does Heritage get "bumped" grades? I doubt anyone has any concrete evidence to show this, but there is certainly some anecdotal evidence that exists, if you want to interpret it that way. On the other hand, there's just nothing that says, here's the evidence that says that Heritage gets routine bumps and it's any different than Doug when he subs a book 5 times until he gets the grade he wants.

3) I'm glad you're honest guy gcwatson. If you value honesty above all else, then I suggest collectibles are the wrong spot for you to be.

Foolkiller you may be right about collectibles not being for me but I love them so such is my burden. I can appreciate certain things cgc offers like the ss service, we all know a coa is only as good as the person your getting it from. I apologize if I have offended anyone but you have to understand I spent many years in sports collectibles and saw the way people tried to screw other people time and again. Forgeries, doctoring cards which is the only thing grading cards was good for telling you, etc. Greed is a powerful motivator and easily sways people to do things they know they shouldn't do. It killed me to see the sports card market die the way it did. I know comic books had a period where they fell off I would hate to see it happen again. I give collectors and dealers of comics credit it seems as though the bad apples have been weeded out and the people that are left truly love comic books. I guess you could call it the renaissance period after the dark ages. I look forward to learning more from everyone who stuck with it through the tough times and anyone who comes along that knows more than me.

Welcome back to the hobby! Enjoy.

As for the anonymity factor, once the books are logged in and put into the grading wait line, they do become anonymous. The graders likely know the Savannah books are on the premises, but don't exactly know if the book in front of them is one. Additionally, the fact that three separate graders look at each book, and offer grades without collaboration, makes it difficult to systematically overgrade or gift grade books.

Foolkiller you may be right about collectibles not being for me but I love them so such is my burden. I can appreciate certain things cgc offers like the ss service, we all know a coa is only as good as the person your getting it from. I apologize if I have offended anyone but you have to understand I spent many years in sports collectibles and saw the way people tried to screw other people time and again. Forgeries, doctoring cards which is the only thing grading cards was good for telling you, etc. Greed is a powerful motivator and easily sways people to do things they know they shouldn't do. It killed me to see the sports card market die the way it did. I know comic books had a period where they fell off I would hate to see it happen again. I give collectors and dealers of comics credit it seems as though the bad apples have been weeded out and the people that are left truly love comic books. I guess you could call it the renaissance period after the dark ages. I look forward to learning more from everyone who stuck with it through the tough times and anyone who comes along that knows more than me.

The ship already sailed.

I've known Borock, Haspel and Stephans since 1996 or so (the 3 are/were involved in grading all the GA/SA books). I lose no sleep worrying that they play favors with how they grade for CGC because I know them. If I were to be concerned I would still be able to participate in the hobby as I would just purchase only raw books, which is something I still do and enjoy.

I've known Borock, Haspel and Stephans since 1996 or so (the 3 are/were involved in grading all the GA/SA books). I lose no sleep worrying that they play favors with how they grade for CGC because I know them. If I were to be concerned I would still be able to participate in the hobby as I would just purchase only raw books, which is something I still do and enjoy.

I only buy raw books I have a few slabbed my oldest son gave them to me as a birthday present. I have bought a couple but only when the price has been in line with a raw books worth. As I have seen people state many times buy the book not the grade.

1) Why sell to a dealer and not consign them? Because you want a block lump sum and don't want to get paid out over time. This may have to do with a variety of different issues including the fact that you want to resolve the estate quickly. It's likely that they knew they could get more at auction but wanted the money ASAP. Lots of people make this decision every day. If you're thinking, well, why not take an advance. Well, it's like a loan, and Heritage charges you interest. You also may not be sophisticated enough to know the market and the family may have been instructed, if I ever pass away, call "this guy" (Shelton) and have him take care of the collection.

Finally the voice of reason chimes in. Anyone with a collection of this size and magnitude is insane not taking it directly to auction. That’s right they are insane. Why? Because there is no dealer out there than can pay you 1/100th of what the total value of this collection is worth. No one. Let me repeat that again No One. And I know that using simple math assuming each book is worth $50 or less, and there are some worth tens of thousands of dollars alone. For a second assume that 10,000 are junk worth only $10 and the other remaining 30,000 are worth $50.

10,000 x $10 = $100,000

30,000 x $50 = $1,500,000

Total = $1,600,000

There is NO dealer out there with this kind of capital and this example above is using monetary figures that are so low it’d be as if selling the comics for less than 1% of their actual net worth. We all know there’s at least a $30k Showcase #22 and plenty of other $10k in the collection so the value is worth hundreds of thousands of dollars more than the low ball example I used. Add this Showcase #22 book to the equation and it makes selling to a dealer upfront even more absurd as it would take well over a million dollars for a dealer to just pay 10% of guide for everything in the collection. As much as anyone tries to rationalize this there is not a chance in Hell of a comic store owner has this kind of flush capital available. I don’t have that kind of capital and none of my comic dealer friends do either. For a 40,000 size plus collection with full runs of high grade key issues even a $800k offer would be reaming them in the . I guarantee you the first paycheck they’d receive from Heritage would be hundreds of thousands of dollars higher than any offer a dealer would put up front on the table. If a cash advance is their and your reasoning for selling to a dealer up front, I also guarantee you that the cash advance an auction house such as Heritage would give them up front would also be hundreds of thousands of dollars more than any initial offer any dealer could given them. Hundreds of thousands of dollars more. And to think they didn’t even bother shopping it around or consigning it themselves through Heritage for a very low commission makes absolutely no sense and is beyond one the saddest things I have ever heard of.

I mention this because I want what’s best for people and if they were elderly or weren’t aware of what they were getting themselves into they should have been counseled. Someone is VERY, VERY easily making a serious profit off their lowball investment and the owners could have made this money themselves if they’d been properly schooled.

My point based on simple math alone, is no dealer out there can even make a decent offer on a collection of this size, 40,000, and magnitude. They’d have to have well over a million plus dollars in their bank account just to pay less than 10% of guide for even the more valuable comics in the collection. If I could buy comics that have doubled and even tripled guide over the years at 10% of near mint price in Overstreet I’d quit my day job as an attorney, sell comics for a living and move into a 50,000 sq ft home in Hawaii overlooking the Pacific Ocean. Someone(s) didn’t know what they were getting themselves into, took the baited cash up front and lost out on an opportunity to make what’s probably going to be well over a million dollars in gain for someone else.

Finally the voice of reason chimes in. Anyone with a collection of this size and magnitude is insane not taking it directly to auction. That’s right they are insane. Why? Because there is no dealer out there than can pay you 1/100th of what the total value of this collection is worth. No one. Let me repeat that again No One. And I know that using simple math assuming each book is worth $50 or less, and there are some worth tens of thousands of dollars alone. For a second assume that 10,000 are junk worth only $10 and the other remaining 30,000 are worth $50.

10,000 x $10 = $100,000

Total = $1,600,000

There is NO dealer out there with this kind of capital and this example above is using monetary figures that are so low it’d be as if selling the comics for less than 1% of their actual net worth. We all know there’s at least a $30k Showcase #22 and plenty of other $10k in the collection so the value is worth hundreds of thousands of dollars more than the low ball example I used. Add this Showcase #22 book to the equation and it makes selling to a dealer upfront even more absurd as it would take well over a million dollars for a dealer to just pay 10% of guide for everything in the collection. As much as anyone tries to rationalize this there is not a chance in Hell of a comic store owner has this kind of flush capital available. I don’t have that kind of capital and none of my comic dealer friends do either. For a 40,000 size plus collection with full runs of high grade key issues even a $800k offer would be reaming them in the . I guarantee you the first paycheck they’d receive from Heritage would be hundreds of thousands of dollars higher than any offer a dealer would put up front on the table. If a cash advance is their and your reasoning for selling to a dealer up front, I also guarantee you that the cash advance an auction house such as Heritage would give them up front would also be hundreds of thousands of dollars more than any initial offer any dealer could given them. Hundreds of thousands of dollars more. And to think they didn’t even bother shopping it around or consigning it themselves through Heritage for a very low commission makes absolutely no sense and is beyond one the saddest things I have ever heard of.

I mention this because I want what’s best for people and if they were elderly or weren’t aware of what they were getting themselves into they should have been counseled. Someone is VERY, VERY easily making a serious profit off their lowball investment and the owners could have made this money themselves if they’d been properly schooled.

My point based on simple math alone, is no dealer out there can even make a decent offer on a collection of this size, 40,000, and magnitude. They’d have to have well over a million plus dollars in their bank account just to pay less than 10% of guide for even the more valuable comics in the collection. If I could buy comics that have doubled and even tripled guide over the years at 10% of near mint price in Overstreet I’d quit my day job as an attorney, sell comics for a living and move into a 50,000 sq ft in Hawaii overlooking the Pacific Ocean. Someone(s) didn’t know what they were getting themselves into, took the baited cash up front and lost out on an opportunity to make what’s probably going to be well over a million dollars in gain for someone else.

What if you don't want to get paid? I agree that no dealer can offer what a pedigree collection can obtain at auction, but I will say that many, many folks are willing to sacrifice the extra cash in order to get paid up front.

On a much, much smaller scale, I've bought collections multiple times, explained how much more (sometimes triple) money they could make at auction, and the response is quite simple: I just want to be done, if you can make more, terrific.

You seem to be intimating that it's crazy that people would leave money on the table -- but there are actually people who value getting paid in a lump sum more than they do waiting for auction results.

And I know that using simple math assuming each book is worth $50 or less, and there are some worth tens of thousands of dollars alone. For a second assume that 10,000 are junk worth only $10 and the other remaining 30,000 are worth $50.

10,000 x $10 = $100,000

Total = $1,600,000

There is NO dealer out there with this kind of capital and this example above is using monetary figures that are so low it’d be as if selling the comics for less than 1% of their actual net worth.

Your "math" consists of sweeping assumptions and is probably way off base. What collection with 40,000 comics is filled with 30,000 of them worth an average of $50? A more likely average (and perhaps overly generous) figure is $5 for the bulk of the collection. It is only going to be a small fraction of the collection that is going to drive disproportionately its' value. Your "math" provides for an unrealistic and likely too high value for this new pedigree collection.

I'd rather see the selling of the collection unfold to appreciate the depth and breadth of the truly valuable components, and only then to have a ballpark estimate of the overall value of the collection.