• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is this worth actually getting graded?

19 posts in this topic

Yesterday, I was at an antique mall in my hometown....while browsing around, I found a comic that was bagged and boarded. I honestly don't know much about comics, I have a few that really aren't worth anything, but when I searched this on ebay, I think I "MIGHT" have found the new gem of my collection, which consists of like 5 books....haha. Anyway, here's some scans of what it looks like so maybe you could tell me if its worth spending the money to get graded! This is my first post too!!! Hope to be spending more time around here!

The book I bought is "The Amazing Spider-Man 252" which is the first black suit issue, it "appears" to me to be in great shape, and I paid $12.00 for it. Let me know waht you think!

front cover

001.jpg

random page

003.jpg

back cover

002.jpg

Also, I am not really sure how to tell what is considered 'white' pages or not.....so any help relating to that matter would be appreciated!

Hi

Great book but I personally wouldn't get this book slabbed as the value of the issue is too low, imo, to warrant spending more on it by submitting it for grading. I'd just keep it in a Mylar sleeve with an acid-free backing board.

Based on the pics I would grade this 7.5 to 8.0 with Off white to White.

Overstreet has a grading book (not sure if it's still in print but it can be found online - Ebay, Amazon, etc) which shows you how to grade through examples and also provides you with a paper quality chart.

Welcome to the boards!

Books like that are better for reading and holding in your hand. I assume you are talking about grading to resell, then no. I only CGC books > $100 value unless you are sure you have a 9.8 to 9.9 on your hands that will turn your $40 book into a $100 book.

Not sure where all the 7.5's are coming from though, I would think VF+ 8.5 from the scan, although in person I may see more defects up close. Have you guys not seen all the minor defects CGC allows in 8.5 or even 9.0 on occasion?

Books like that are better for reading and holding in your hand. I assume you are talking about grading to resell, then no. I only CGC books > $100 value unless you are sure you have a 9.8 to 9.9 on your hands that will turn your $40 book into a $100 book.

Not sure where all the 7.5's are coming from though, I would think VF+ 8.5 from the scan, although in person I may see more defects up close. Have you guys not seen all the minor defects CGC allows in 8.5 or even 9.0 on occasion?

Then why did you ask for our opinion? I think your book would be lucky to get a 7.5 at that.I mean that upper left blunted corner on the front cover is so big that it's the first thing I focused on in your small scans,not to mention the spine has alot of color breaking stress ticks.Send it off to be slabbed,and let us know what you get! :idea: