• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hypothetical question on ebay retractions.

12 posts in this topic

Lets say you are looking for a fairly common book,a Cap America 100 for example. You see one advertised and throw in a bid of $150. Moments later you recieve an out-bid notice so you move on,bidding $150 on a different copy. Next day you check ebay and find you are the hi-bidder on both books as the hi-bidder on the first book retracted his bid.

Are you obligated to buy the first book if you end up winnning. Suppose you have only budgeted $150 for books that week,what do you do?What will ebay do?

this rcently happened to me except I ended up gettng out bid onboth books with snipes.

I guess keep better track or work something out with the first seller. bUt other wise, I think you'd be obligated to carry it through since you did place that $150 bid in the first place. Only reason I say to keep better tabs is that you can now hopefully have enough time to retract your 2nd $150 bid?

I don't think so Vince. It happened to me and I only knew my noticing I was green on my bid list.

I've thought about this as well. I assume eBay rules will say something to the effect that you should account for that possibility. I feel in any auction that has had a bid retraction that you should have the right to re-evaluate your interest based on the fact that you may have bid on another of the same item once you were outbid.

I suppose I would ask the seller to remove my bid or I'd just retract my bid on one of the duplicate item auctions.

If the higher bidders retraction happened late in the game, near the end of the legal retraction time period and I did not notice and won, that's where it could be a real problem... if you won both.

Good question

I don't think so Vince. It happened to me and I only knew my noticing I was green on my bid list.

I've thought about this as well. I assume eBay rules will say something to the effect that you should account for that possibility. I feel in any auction that has had a bid retraction that you should have the right to re-evaluate your interest based on the fact that you may have bid on another of the same item once you were outbid.

I suppose I would ask the seller to remove my bid or I'd just retract my bid on one of the duplicate item auctions.

If the higher bidders retraction happened late in the game, near the end of the legal retraction time period and I did not notice and won, that's where it could be a real problem... if you won both.

Good question

I've gotten EMAILs to advise that I was the top bidder as a result of an retraction or cancellation in the past.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif I don't remember ever getting any and I've been in that situation more than a couple times. I have received notices of an auction being canceled and/or my bid being canceled as a result though. Even if that does happen for some, it does not solve the problem in many cases... just alerts you to it quicker potentially.

This hasn't happened to me in awhile, but does EBay send an alert when you become high bidder for the second time?

They do, but thats not really the point. I surf with a budget and something like this can cause a real problem.

I don't retract bids when I see a better opportunity but think that once I'm out-bid,my money and obligation should be free and clear.

I didnt even know you COULD retract your bid! (Damn, and now im stuck with two Wolverine #10's!!!) 893frustrated.gif