• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1985-1989 Coin Market = 2000-2004 Comic Market?

567 posts in this topic

Will anything from the 1995-2005 era be stable or considered collectible? Or is something like NM 98 just the new thing that will drop back to nothing in GPA?

Deadpool seems to be collectible, particularly the later issues in the series.

Marvels circa 1998-2000, depending on the title and the dates in question, had some pretty low print-runs, or so I keep on reading. Ditto for Valiants at the end of the titles. I buy these for my collection. Am I paying a lot for them? No. But I ignore the same titles from a few years earlier when perusing through dollar or whatever boxes.

I don't know if DCs did as badly from 1998-2000 as Marvels, but it always "seems" like there is just less generic back issue interest in many DCs outside of a hot issue of whatever. It seems like over the last few years a bunch of Marvels from that lower print-run period have popped for one reason or another, even if not reflected in guide.

Cheap is the way to go. We got lucky when we owned a couple of comic stores in the late 80s to about 1997. Back then, it was .04 cents a piece site unseen. For that price, you didnt look at the books but just counter the backing board tops in the box and paid them. We could hit good or hit nothing. We managed to buy piles of boxes over time and ended up with about 250 thousand books at 4 cents a piece. We used to throw the Bronze age into the back, back, back, room never to be opened cause we figured none of them would ever go up on our front wall. Now, its 13 years later and after cracking the boxes open a few years back, its a gold mine. I feel for the mid 90s books though. Just too many out there.

One of you gents asked about Alien Worlds # 4. The reason I had a background in the book is because Ive been collecting Space Babes for 40 years. If it has a woman on the cover and she is wearing a space helmet and space suit, I collect it. If she is holding a ray guy, all the better. If she has a space monster behind her and ready to gobble her up, then Im most definitely in. AND if she has a guy in the background trying to save her from the monster firing his ray gun then, all the better. I think with alot of these books it really depends where in the time line you are in age to have been able to have collected many a copy. The Alien Worlds # 4 was all over the place just a few years back and I gobbled a good amount of them up just cause that cover is what I collect. An unfair advantage for me due to my age. Im 53. If you are younger and just coming into collecting many have been collected, but its still relatively easy to find although not like it was say 4 years ago.

Check out http://cgi.ebay.com/FAMOUS-MONSTERS-MAG-57-Very-Good-/310234419768?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item483b699238

for another nice space babe book. This one has actress Lucian Paluzzi who was a real babe back then on the cover. Plenty of other examples out there. Strange Worlds, etc.

Will anything from the 1995-2005 era be stable or considered collectible? Or is something like NM 98 just the new thing that will drop back to nothing in GPA?

Believe it or not some trade paperbacks and hardcovers from that era go for some decent coin, you just have to know which ones and where to sell them. ;)

I think if one picks and chooses slowly studies that one can pick out a good amount of books between 1998 to 2003 that could appreciate as well. Low printings with eye appeal covers.

I agree and there a a few indys from 1980`s that could explode if Hollywood or the videogame industry took an interest in them, most of my talk about worthless copper comics is really about 99% Marvel/DC and Image stuff from that era.

There are a few gems hidden amongst the over printed spectulator dreck.