• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1985-1989 Coin Market = 2000-2004 Comic Market?

567 posts in this topic

Conclusion is comic books from about the mid 1970`s is were the hording started to take off then concluding around the mid 1990`s. ;)

Sure...and it's no coincidence that many dealers don't deal with books after 1975, which is why many of the big dealer OS ads proclaim (or used to, I haven't bought one in a few years) loudly and proudly "Pre-1975 Only! :mad: "

I personally think prices for post-1975 "keys" (excluding indies) have only one way to go...on the whole however, prices for pre-1975 BA keys in HG have been pretty stable.

interesting that Incredible Hulk 181, ASM 129,Marvel Spolight 5 and Werewolf by Knight 32 were put out around 1974,1975 just missing the cut off date of 1975-76. hm

Well, I'm sure just about all the vintage dealers would gladly buy the books you listed...they just didn't want to be inundated with "post direct market" bulk/common junk. (shrug)

I was trying to make a observation what if those above books had just come out a few years later like 1980(New Teen Titans)? maybe the prices of them would be half of what they are now. :)

I guess the 5/6 years from 1974 makes a big difference compared to 1980 in the comic book world.

This is a terrific time to be a collector of high grade Bronze.

Will prices fall further? That matters to the investor, but the collector says "who cares? I can load up on sweet copies for the cheap!"

That's the attitude that ultimately will win in my opinion. If the book is something you want to own and the price is within a range your willing to pay it doesn't matter so much if you flip it for a profit 5 years from now or not. Either way you'll be happy. (thumbs u I think people forget that simple fact when posting on these forums. It's about the books first and the price second.

Tell that to the guy who started this thread, who apparently paid $160 for a DD #163 9.4.

Tim, I'm going to have to start calling you "Boulahrouz" for sticking a foot in at every conceivable opportunity. I'm hereby giving you a yellow card for persistent fouling - time to give it a rest, man. :baiting:

I wasn't really poking fun at you there, Gene, so my apologies if I offended. I was just using that as an example to point out to the poster I was replying to that even when it's about the book first and the price second (because as you said you just really wanted the book when you bought it), at the end of the day it still ultimately comes back to the price.

I guess the 5/6 years from 1974 makes a big difference compared to 1980 in the comic book world.

It makes a MASSIVE difference.

Books from 1974? Abundant in high grade.

Books from 1980? More common than dirt in high grade.

Due in no small part to the beginnings of the direct comic distribution side of the business that emerged in the late 70s.

Direct distribution = comic hoarder's wet dream.

So when does the not in abundance high grade era end?

1964 to 1965 hm

So when does the not in abundance high grade era end?

1964 to 1965 hm

Yeah, pretty much, at least as far as SA Marvels go.

An interesting thing I noticed going on with bronze age/copper age back issues sales, on one hand the majority of collectors won`t pay $3 dollars for a raw generic bronze/copper comic book on Ebay but on the other hand they will pay hundreds to thousands of dollars for same era comic books with a 9.8 attached to it? so its either all(9.8) or nothing mentality. hm

An interesting thing I noticed going on with bronze age/copper age back issues sales, on one hand the majority of collectors won`t pay $3 dollars for a raw generic bronze/copper comic book on Ebay but on the other hand they will pay hundreds to thousands of dollars for same era comic books with a 9.8 attached to it? so its either all(9.8) or nothing mentality. hm

Not so. Go to a convetion where a dealer like Earl Shaw has hundreds of longboxes of Bronze/Copper for a buck a piece, and watch the feeding frenzy that ensues.

Not so. Go to a convetion where a dealer like Earl Shaw has hundreds of longboxes of Bronze/Copper for a buck a piece, and watch the feeding frenzy that ensues.

I did say $3 dollars not a $1, if you tried to sell single comics for a buck on Ebay,your basically giving them away after paypal,ebay and shipping fees. ;)

A big difference then setting up at comics con a few times a year. :)

Right, it's simply not economical to sell $1-3 books on ebay with shipping and all the fees...but when buying in person, even Chuckie will raid Earl's $1/$3/$5 boxes! lol

Right, it's simply not economical to sell $1-3 books on ebay with shipping and all the fees...but when buying in person, even Chuckie will raid Earl's $1/$3/$5 boxes! lol

And boy does he ever....he must've spent two days at Earl's booth during Heroes.

I totally agree with the fact that picking and choosing and doing research is the key to ANY collecting. I have not read all 50 pages of posts on this original article done by Delekkerste but I can say no matter if the market was increasing or declining, if you pick and choose with research, you will do well. About 8 years ago I purchased about 7 of the newer Commemorative Olympic Wheelchair coins in high grade for about $ 125 each. Later sold them about 1 1/2 years later for about $ 500 each. I dont know what they are going for now but the market at that time was no great shakes. It all had to do with the low mintage of that coin. I cannot remember but it was very low. I would tend to think even now, that coin would be up there in price even compared to when I sold it, but I have lost track. I dont think its a matter of the coin market going up or down. Its a matter of recognizing rarity and then waiting for everyone else to eventually recognize it too as you come out of a low in the market. Some even rise in a low market. Its not only a matter or recognition. Its a matter of if it has eye appeal or is needed to complete a set. The wheelchair olympic coin had both rarity and was needed if you were going to complete the commemorative set at that time. Years ago, I collected Naval daggers. The rarest of the bunch was an 1848 naval dagger where they had only known of 14 in existance and the price was about 4 grand. Unfortunately, being the first dagger or its type, in regards to eye appeal, it looked like and hence, the price was not going anywhere wether the market was going up, sideways, or down.

I totally believe its all about doing your research, picking and choosing for rarity and eye appeal with the thought that you will maybe have your judgement confirmed by others who see and believe the same thing and therefore increase demand and price goes up. Rarity with eye appeal pulls everytime as long as its recognized by others. This is separate from movie speculation or posts that make newbies jump on the bandwagon of a book. Just one example of this would be the Dave Stevens book Airboy # 5. Ive seen so many post about hunting down this book in high condition. TRUST ME- Its not that hard at all and 9.8s are not that hard. Voices and speculation leading to artificially raise the price. Anyway, I love reading these posts. Great job Delekkerste for twiking our minds and making us think and offering info to back up his thoughts. Dr. J.V.S.

I totally agree with the fact that picking and choosing and doing research is the key to ANY collecting. I have not read all 50 pages of posts on this original article done by Delekkerste but I can say no matter if the market was increasing or declining, if you pick and choose with research, you will do well. About 8 years ago I purchased about 7 of the newer Commemorative Olympic Wheelchair coins in high grade for about $ 125 each. Later sold them about 1 1/2 years later for about $ 500 each. I dont know what they are going for now but the market at that time was no great shakes. It all had to do with the low mintage of that coin. I cannot remember but it was very low. I would tend to think even now, that coin would be up there in price even compared to when I sold it, but I have lost track. I dont think its a matter of the coin market going up or down. Its a matter of recognizing rarity and then waiting for everyone else to eventually recognize it too as you come out of a low in the market. Some even rise in a low market. Its not only a matter or recognition. Its a matter of if it has eye appeal or is needed to complete a set. The wheelchair olympic coin had both rarity and was needed if you were going to complete the commemorative set at that time. Years ago, I collected Naval daggers. The rarest of the bunch was an 1848 naval dagger where they had only known of 14 in existance and the price was about 4 grand. Unfortunately, being the first dagger or its type, in regards to eye appeal, it looked like and hence, the price was not going anywhere wether the market was going up, sideways, or down.

I totally believe its all about doing your research, picking and choosing for rarity and eye appeal with the thought that you will maybe have your judgement confirmed by others who see and believe the same thing and therefore increase demand and price goes up. Rarity with eye appeal pulls everytime as long as its recognized by others. This is separate from movie speculation or posts that make newbies jump on the bandwagon of a book. Just one example of this would be the Dave Stevens book Airboy # 5. Ive seen so many post about hunting down this book in high condition. TRUST ME- Its not that hard at all and 9.8s are not that hard. Voices and speculation leading to artificially raise the price. Anyway, I love reading these posts. Great job Delekkerste for twiking our minds and making us think and offering info to back up his thoughts. Dr. J.V.S.

WALL_OF_TEXT.jpg

I totally agree with the fact that picking and choosing and doing research is the key to ANY collecting. I totally believe its all about doing your research, picking and choosing for rarity and eye appeal with the thought that you will maybe have your judgement confirmed by others who see and believe the same thing and therefore increase demand and price goes up. Rarity with eye appeal pulls everytime as long as its recognized by others. Dr. J.V.S.

I definately agree about the eye appeal and researching part, a perfect example of this is FF 112, it is much more sought after then FF 111 or 113, why? maybe because the eye appeal of the cover has something to do with it, also when buying collectables as long term investments make sure the value is at least $50 dollars, this way you have some value when you unload them in the future, usually if something as at least $50 value now it it will have some worth in the future,stay away from those $1,$5 and $10 dollars comic books as long term investments because if after 30 to 50 years they are still now only worth $1,$5 and $10 dollars then in the next 30 to 50 years you can bet they will still be worth only $1,$5 and $10 dollars.

2c

I totally agree with the fact that picking and choosing and doing research is the key to ANY collecting. I totally believe its all about doing your research, picking and choosing for rarity and eye appeal with the thought that you will maybe have your judgement confirmed by others who see and believe the same thing and therefore increase demand and price goes up. Rarity with eye appeal pulls everytime as long as its recognized by others. Dr. J.V.S.

I definately agree about the eye appeal and researching part, a perfect example of this is FF 112, it is much more sought after then FF 111 or 113, why? maybe because the eye appeal of the cover has something to do with it, also when buying collectables as long term investments make sure the value is at least $50 dollars, this way you have some value when you unload them in the future, usually if something as at least $50 value now it it will have some worth in the future,stay away from those $1,$5 and $10 dollars comic books as long term investments because if after 30 to 50 years they are still now only worth $1,$5 and $10 dollars then in the next 30 to 50 years you can bet they will still be worth only $1,$5 and $10 dollars.

2c

You mean like New Mutants 98, which was a dollar book for the longest time? :baiting:

The Copper Age might indeed be the "Lost Age" of Comic books due to all the hoarding that went on (just like the Modern Age might be the "Last Age" of Comics if readership numbers continue to dwindle).

We might in fact never see the "Bronze Age breakout" effect that catipulted books from the 70s into the spotlight this decade take hold with books from the 80s, but that doesn't mean you can't do well with them. Like any investment (if that's how you choose to view it), you make your money when you buy, not neccessarily when you sell.....buying unread Copper books for pennies on the dollar that I can sell for $5, $10, or $20 raw right now is not the worst way to go.

Is it time consuming? Yes.

Does it require more time and effort then buying a raw Silver Age book for $500 and getting it certified and sold for $1k? Yes.

Is it a ton of fun going through an OO Copper Collection for someone who grew up in the 80s and remembers buying this stuff off the racks? Without question. :cloud9:

And afterall, investment or not, isn't that what this hobby is for?

2c

You mean like New Mutants 98, which was a dollar book for the longest time? :baiting:

The Copper Age might indeed be the "Lost Age" of Comic books due to all the hoarding that went on (just like the Modern Age might be the "Last Age" of Comics if readership numbers continue to dwindle).

We might in fact never see the "Bronze Age breakout" effect that catipulted books from the 70s into the spotlight this decade take hold with books from the 80s, but that doesn't mean you can't do well with them. Like any investment (if that's how you choose to view it), you make your money when you buy, not neccessarily when you sell.....buying unread Copper books for pennies on the dollar that I can sell for $5, $10, or $20 raw right now is not the worst way to go.

Is it time consuming? Yes.

Does it require more time and effort then buying a raw Silver Age book for $500 and getting it certified and sold for $1k? Yes.

Is it a ton of fun going through an OO Copper Collection for someone who grew up in the 80s and remembers buying this stuff off the racks? Without question. :cloud9:

And afterall, investment or not, isn't that what this hobby is for?

I agree with that, my two favorite books from the copper age are Deadworld and Crow and I had a lot of fun looking for back issues but getting back to investment talk :)

NM 98 has been at least a $50 dollar book since 2004 and c`mon that`s a rare exception like Walking Dead 1 is, why $50 as the benchmark as lowest for investing in collectables? well if you do decide to sell in 10 years and even if your $50 collectable did go down in value, they wouldn`t totally be worthless. example the 50 dollar book might either be worth $40 or $60 in five to ten years,so you will still get back some money value as your margin of error is higher but if your $10 dollar and below books go down in value, you are essentially screwed especially after even higher Ebay/Paypal and postage fees by then., plus it`s a lot less time consuming as you say to sell ten $50 dollar books then sell 500 $1 books. ;)

Agreed on the Fantatic Four 112. Nice black background, with vivid green hulk and vivid orange Thing separated by black background in between. It definitely has that eye appeal compared to some of those books that have so much going on with the cover that its hard to separate out the action. Sometimes with just too many characters doing too many things. Avengers seem to have alot of those cause of the number of characters. Sometimes there are 12 figures on the cover all after each other and hard for the eye to separate out. lol.

I like the Dave Stevens Alien Worlds # 4 cover even though its a super easy book to find and 9.8s are pretty easy for this book as well. Like you had mentioned, its one of those $ 5.00 books unslabbed and slabbed should not more than $ 30.00 even though you see guys trying to get $ 80 which is rediculous.

Im starting to wonder about some of the ebay dealers with the ridiculous prices. Just to give an example: The thinking seems to be like this - "Lets see, I have a Rust 12, first appearence of Terminator, its 9.8. Ill take $ 250 but Ill accept offers of $ 195!!!". Ridiculous. Um, can I tell you , its a $ 7 book with no eye appeal and slabbed in 9.8 maybe worth $ 25.00 tops. When I see this, its an instant turn off and I move on to another dealer simply because he is trying trap some insufficiently_thoughtful_person instead of a normal offer. This is where the hobby gets hit hard. Cause the kid that buys a piece like that and then goes to sell 2 years later and is told by the dealer he will give him $ 15.00 for his slabbed book that is now worth a whole $ 30.00 that he paid $ 195.00 for, is not coming back as a buyer in the future in this hobby.