• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1985-1989 Coin Market = 2000-2004 Comic Market?

567 posts in this topic

This is a terrific time to be a collector of high grade Bronze.

Will prices fall further? That matters to the investor, but the collector says "who cares? I can load up on sweet copies for the cheap!"

That's the attitude that ultimately will win in my opinion. If the book is something you want to own and the price is within a range your willing to pay it doesn't matter so much if you flip it for a profit 5 years from now or not. Either way you'll be happy. (thumbs u I think people forget that simple fact when posting on these forums. It's about the books first and the price second.

Tell that to the guy who started this thread, who apparently paid $160 for a DD #163 9.4.

Will prices fall further? That matters to the investor, but the collector says "who cares? I can load up on sweet copies for the cheap!"

That's the attitude that ultimately will win in my opinion. If the book is something you want to own and the price is within a range your willing to pay it doesn't matter so much if you flip it for a profit 5 years from now or not. Either way you'll be happy. (thumbs u I think people forget that simple fact when posting on these forums. It's about the books first and the price second.

Tell that to the guy who started this thread, who apparently paid $160 for a DD #163 9.4.

Sucker. lol

Seriously though, I think we are reaching a point where the pendulum is swinging so completely the other way as to make the prices realized on quality books seem outrageously low. Don't know if its a market "bottom" or just the slow death of our hobby marching on, but I can't ignore some of the great deals I'm getting.

It is a great freaking time to be a collector of UHG comics. Such a target-rich environment that I'm running out of bullets but the opportunities keep coming!

[Don't know if its a market "bottom" or just the slow death of our hobby marching on

Long-term, it's definitely the latter, but that doesn't preclude a few short-term bumps whereby prices jump a bit before settling back onto the long road to obscurity.

Has there been any consideration given to the possibility that manipulation may be a factor in the dilution of high-grade availability?

Just curious. hm

Has there been any consideration given to the possibility that manipulation may be a factor in the dilution of high-grade availability?

Just curious. hm

In cases such as the 9.8 population of ASMs 121, 122, and 129, I suspect it has played a significant role in shifting the population numbers.

What I think really happened was people figured out there really isn`t much visual difference between a 9.0, 9.2, 9.4, 9.6 and 9.8 and the prices are now starting to reflect it. really a bronze/copper/modern 9.8 shouldn`t be 10 times more expensive then a 9.2 2c

If you follow that line of thinking though, you are heading to a collapse of most high grade prices, at least for the end of bronze and later books.

There just isn't that much rarity trying to find a 9.0 of books from the end of the 70s on(with plenty of exceptions). You are going to need pretty high demand to push those books to prices that make them worth slabbing if people become satisfied with the lower higher grades.

For a lot of these books, the only real rarity comes at the 9.8 level. I think that we may end up seeing a market that separates into 9.8 W = decent money. Anything else = not worth slabbing

What I think really happened was people figured out there really isn`t much visual difference between a 9.0, 9.2, 9.4, 9.6 and 9.8 and the prices are now starting to reflect it. really a bronze/copper/modern 9.8 shouldn`t be 10 times more expensive then a 9.2 2c

Well that and the fact that 9.6 and 9.8 are subjective enough that one day a 9.8 could be a 9.6 and vice versa. There are nearly flawless 9.4s and lousy 9.8s. For some, the notion that the CGC label is infallible and omnipotent has evaporated.

Well that and the fact that 9.6 and 9.8 are subjective enough that one day a 9.8 could be a 9.6 and vice versa. There are nearly flawless 9.4s and lousy 9.8s. For some, the notion that the CGC label is infallible and omnipotent has evaporated.

Well, I suppose that could be a factor.

I will say, however, that the 8.5-9.4 gene pool, whether raw or certified, was, and continues to be, actively targeted for manipulation upgrade. Hundreds, if not thousands, of books have seen the treatment in the early Bronze Age market. If anyone denies the fact that manipulation plays a role as to why books are worth less, then they are being intellectually dishonest in an effort to marginalize the concerns surrounding the issue.

The law of supply and demand applies here, as it does with any other market.

2c

YAY!!!!!!!

Now maybe people will stop paying stupid multiples for tiny differences in grade.

:cloud9:

Sucker. lol

Seriously though, I think we are reaching a point where the pendulum is swinging so completely the other way as to make the prices realized on quality books seem outrageously low. Don't know if its a market "bottom" or just the slow death of our hobby marching on, but I can't ignore some of the great deals I'm getting.

It's unbelievable. I wrote a big long shpiel on Copper over in the Copper forum.

What an amazing time to be a buyer....buying nearly flawless books for only the cost of certification...??

Sweet!

YAY!!!!!!!

Now maybe people will stop paying stupid multiples for tiny differences in grade.

:cloud9:

Definitely! Let me know when you're selling your Bats #426s and #428s in 9.8, I need them for the set :grin:

Here's the 12-month cumulative GPA data for the following BA books (every 3 months from 9/02 through 9/07, with one data point at the end reflecting current prices):

All Star Western 10 9.2

Amazing Adventures 11 9.4

Amazing Spider-Man 100 9.4

Amazing Spider-Man 121 9.4

Amazing Spider-Man 122 9.4

Amazing Spider-Man 129 9.2

Batman 200 9.4

Batman 227 9.4

Batman 232 9.4

Batman 234 9.4

Conan The Barbarian 1 9.4

Defenders 1 9.4

Fantastic Four 112 9.4

Ghost Rider 1 9.4

Giant-Size X-Men 1 9.2

Green Lantern 76 8.5

Hero for Hire 1 9.4

House of Secrets 92 9.0

Incredible Hulk 180 9.4

Incredible Hulk 181 8.5

Iron Fist 14 9.6

Iron Man 55 9.4

Marvel Feature 1 9.6

Werewolf by NIght 32 9.4

Witching Hour 1 9.4

bronze_index_7_10.jpg

Here's the 12-month cumulative GPA data for the following BA books (every 3 months from 9/02 through 9/07, with one data point at the end reflecting current prices):

All Star Western 10 9.2

Amazing Adventures 11 9.4

Amazing Spider-Man 100 9.4

Amazing Spider-Man 121 9.4

Amazing Spider-Man 122 9.4

Amazing Spider-Man 129 9.2

Batman 200 9.4

Batman 227 9.4

Batman 232 9.4

Batman 234 9.4

Conan The Barbarian 1 9.4

Defenders 1 9.4

Fantastic Four 112 9.4

Ghost Rider 1 9.4

Giant-Size X-Men 1 9.2

Green Lantern 76 8.5

Hero for Hire 1 9.4

House of Secrets 92 9.0

Incredible Hulk 180 9.4

Incredible Hulk 181 8.5

Iron Fist 14 9.6

Iron Man 55 9.4

Marvel Feature 1 9.6

Werewolf by NIght 32 9.4

Witching Hour 1 9.4

bronze_index_7_10.jpg

I notice every comic book on this list is before 1976,so I guess that is the cut off date with the 9`s comic grades being broken up digitally to mean something.

example Marvel Star Wars 1(1977)

a CGC 9.8 averages between $400 to $500 on Ebay while a 9.6 can be had for less then a hundred dollars,a similar situation with just about all 1980 keys, NM 87,NM98,Transformers 1,GI JOE 1 and Uncanny X-men 266, decent coin for the 9.8`s then a big drop at 9.6, 9.4,and 9.2`s.

Conclusion is comic books from about the mid 1970`s is were the hording started to take off then concluding around the mid 1990`s. ;)

I don't remember how I derived the list...but I believe it came from the "List of BA keys" thread in the Bronze forum, so it wouldn't include CA books. I never finished populating the spreadsheet to include most of the books after "M", but there are a bunch of other BA Keys like Marvel Spotlight 5 and X-men 94 that really should be in there.

As far as the grades used, that was simply to ensure that the price of Hulk 181 in 9.4, for example, didn't dominate the data. I believe most of these books started out (back in '03) around $500 +/-.

Conclusion is comic books from about the mid 1970`s is were the hording started to take off then concluding around the mid 1990`s. ;)

Sure...and it's no coincidence that many dealers don't deal with books after 1975, which is why many of the big dealer OS ads proclaim (or used to, I haven't bought one in a few years) loudly and proudly "Pre-1975 Only! :mad: "

I personally think prices for post-1975 "keys" (excluding indies) have only one way to go...on the whole however, prices for pre-1975 BA keys in HG have been pretty stable.

Sure...and it's no coincidence that many dealers don't deal with books after 1975, which is why many of the big dealer OS ads proclaim (or used to, I haven't bought one in a few years) loudly and proudly "Pre-1975 Only! :mad: "

I personally think prices for post-1975 "keys" (excluding indies) have only one way to go...on the whole however, prices for pre-1975 BA keys in HG have been pretty stable.

interesting that Incredible Hulk 181, ASM 129,Marvel Spolight 5 and Werewolf by Knight 32 were put out around 1974,1975 just missing the cut off date of 1975-76. hm

Tim, I'm going to have to start calling you "Boulahrouz" for sticking a foot in at every conceivable opportunity. I'm hereby giving you a yellow card for persistent fouling - time to give it a rest, man. :baiting:

interesting that Incredible Hulk 181, ASM 129,Marvel Spolight 5 and Werewolf by Knight 32 were put out around 1974,1975 just missing the cut off date of 1975-76. hm

Well, I'm sure just about all the vintage dealers would gladly buy the books you listed...they just didn't want to be inundated with "post direct market" bulk/common junk. (shrug)