• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stop the Presses! Jason Ewert Does it Again! Yahoo!

28 posts in this topic

According to some all those 9.6s and 9.8s were VF books pressed and cleaned to their current lofty status. 893frustrated.gif893whatthe.gifforeheadslap.gif Just to be clear, I think that's a load of S893censored-thumb.gifT but I'm sure it'll be implied by some. As for the books, they are gorgeous. I'd love to have that Bats 232 cloud9.gif

According to some all those 9.6s and 9.8s were VF books pressed and cleaned to their current lofty status. 893frustrated.gif893whatthe.gifforeheadslap.gif Just to be clear, I think that's a load of S893censored-thumb.gifT but I'm sure it'll be implied by some.

No, it's much easier to believe that he and the other big dealers have an endless supply of absolutely pristine books that they have thus far resisted submitting to CGC. tongue.gif I don't believe these 9.6s were once 8.0s...more likely they were 9.0s-9.4s and got a 0.2 to 0.4 bump in grade after getting the special pre-submission treatment. However, in this market, even a 0.2 bump up in grade can mean hundreds, thousands or even tens of thousands of dollars of difference. Just ask the seller of that X-Men #1 CGC 9.4, a book known to have been the double cover CGC 9.2 copy once owned/sold by Blazing Bob before being pressed into its current 9.4 form.

I agree, these books that Ewert have up are gorgeous...people can bid whatever they want for them, though if I were in their shoes, I'd haircut my bid knowing that the books have probably gone under the press at the very least.

Gene

Jason still has a sense of humor as he missed the magic marker all over the front cover of a Wonder Woman comic in his pre-screen: Cgc 4.0. tongue.gif

893whatthe.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif I can see how he missed it...the market blends better than any I've ever seen! Except for the eye markings, I had to look two or three times to tell it wasn't meant to be there.

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif That is freakin hilarious!!!

Jason still has a sense of humor as he missed the magic marker all over the front cover of a Wonder Woman comic in his pre-screen: Cgc 4.0. tongue.gif

893whatthe.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif I can see how he missed it...the market blends better than any I've ever seen! Except for the eye markings, I had to look two or three times to tell it wasn't meant to be there.

27_laughing.gif the thing that really surprises me is that the rest of the book is in such nice shape!

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif That is freakin hilarious!!!

This isn't AMATEUR RESTORATION? shocked.gifgrin.gif

It was explicitly stated somewhere in another thread that VF books were being pressed into 9.4+ books on a regular basis. Pressing out a bent corner on a 9.4 and bumping it to a 9.6 and taking a VF and pressing it to a 9.6 are two completely different things. In my opinion this whole pressing and cleaning thing is being taken too far. If you believe the hype in some of these threads you'd think that 90% of high grade books are pressed and cleaned. Yes it happens as has been proven but not in nearly the large proportion it's being made out to be. BTW why is it so difficult to believe that Jason would have high grade books all the time? As far as I know most of them are consigned from different people. It's not like they are coming from a single source.

It was explicitly stated somewhere in another thread that VF books were being pressed into 9.4+ books on a regular basis. Pressing out a bent corner on a 9.4 and bumping it to a 9.6 and taking a VF and pressing it to a 9.6 are two completely different things. In my opinion this whole pressing and cleaning thing is being taken too far. If you believe the hype in some of these threads you'd think that 90% of high grade books are pressed and cleaned. Yes it happens as has been proven but not in nearly the large proportion it's being made out to be. BTW why is it so difficult to believe that Jason would have high grade books all the time? As far as I know most of them are consigned from different people. It's not like they are coming from a single source.

I agree. I love how the skeptics often rely on two contradictory arguments to support their case: (i) that there is a huge supply of unslabbed NM books out there, so the current census only reflects a fraction of what probably exists, and (ii) most slabbed books being offered in NM are the result of clean and press, because there couldn't possibly be that many more NM unslabbed books out there. What's really hiliarious is that often these arguments are made by the same person! Are there elements of truth in both of these arguments? Of course there are, but it's not as bad as they'd make it out to be.

In my opinion this whole pressing and cleaning thing is being taken too far. If you believe the hype in some of these threads you'd think that 90% of high grade books are pressed and cleaned. Yes it happens as has been proven but not in nearly the large proportion it's being made out to be.

Maybe we should all just brush it under the carpet and pretend it never happens? 893naughty-thumb.gif

I love how the skeptics often rely on two contradictory arguments to support their case: (i) that there is a huge supply of unslabbed NM books out there, so the current census only reflects a fraction of what probably exists, and (ii) most slabbed books being offered in NM are the result of clean and press, because there couldn't possibly be that many more NM unslabbed books out there. What's really hiliarious is that often these arguments are made by the same person!

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Maybe MMMarvel and ablue were both right after all? 27_laughing.gif

No, it's much easier to believe that he and the other big dealers have an endless supply of absolutely pristine books that they have thus far resisted submitting to CGC. tongue.gif

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

Now there's a Fairy Tale that will have me dreaming of magic leprechauns and their never-ending copy boxes of NM+ Keys. cloud9.gif

"Jason's got me Lucky Charms!"