• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stop the Presses! Jason Ewert Does it Again! Yahoo!

28 posts in this topic

Jason still has a sense of humor as he missed the magic marker all over the front cover of a Wonder Woman comic in his pre-screen: Cgc 4.0. tongue.gif

893whatthe.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif I can see how he missed it...the market blends better than any I've ever seen! Except for the eye markings, I had to look two or three times to tell it wasn't meant to be there.

Looks more like extensive color touch to me... insane.gif Seriously, tho, where do you draw the line between this sort of thing - which seems to me to place this book squarely in the "Qualified" category - and someone doing similar, but less extensive, amateur resto?

It was explicitly stated somewhere in another thread that VF books were being pressed into 9.4+ books on a regular basis. Pressing out a bent corner on a 9.4 and bumping it to a 9.6 and taking a VF and pressing it to a 9.6 are two completely different things. In my opinion this whole pressing and cleaning thing is being taken too far. If you believe the hype in some of these threads you'd think that 90% of high grade books are pressed and cleaned. Yes it happens as has been proven but not in nearly the large proportion it's being made out to be. BTW why is it so difficult to believe that Jason would have high grade books all the time? As far as I know most of them are consigned from different people. It's not like they are coming from a single source.

I agree. I love how the skeptics often rely on two contradictory arguments to support their case: (i) that there is a huge supply of unslabbed NM books out there, so the current census only reflects a fraction of what probably exists, and (ii) most slabbed books being offered in NM are the result of clean and press, because there couldn't possibly be that many more NM unslabbed books out there. What's really hiliarious is that often these arguments are made by the same person! Are there elements of truth in both of these arguments? Of course there are, but it's not as bad as they'd make it out to be.

Fair points, LordRahl and tth2 ... I think what causes the speculation is the not knowing for sure... you both seem to feel that the 'clean, press and resubmit' trend we've been seeing is overblown. Have you seen the list of Church/Mile High resubs, that must be 40 or 50 books long, that ALL jumped in grade when resubmitted? That's of course just one list, of easily 'trackable' / identifiable books... I think what's freaking people out is the idea that, if people are doing this to books that they must know will be spotted as "acceptably" (for the moment, anyway) restored, what might be happening with books that have no provenance and can't be tracked?

I agree that there are many high grade GA and SA books in raw form still waiting to be slabbed...what worries me is that the number of such books is going UP, when for the past 35 - 65 years, that number has been going DOWN.

It is my understanding that the difference between the Wonder Woman and "amateur color touch" is that on the Wonder Woman, the marker is not being used to replace missing color in order to make the book look more like it did when it was originally printed.

I'd have given the book a green label, though, and a higher grade. Structurally, it's a nice book.

Jason still has a sense of humor as he missed the magic marker all over the front cover of a Wonder Woman comic in his pre-screen: Cgc 4.0. tongue.gif

893whatthe.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif I can see how he missed it...the market blends better than any I've ever seen! Except for the eye markings, I had to look two or three times to tell it wasn't meant to be there.

Looks more like extensive color touch to me... insane.gif Seriously, tho, where do you draw the line between this sort of thing - which seems to me to place this book squarely in the "Qualified" category - and someone doing similar, but less extensive, amateur resto?

Yup, that's exactly what I said, brush it under the carpet. How do you equate my comments that the pressing thing is being overblown to me saying that we should just forget about it? 893naughty-thumb.gif893frustrated.gif There's been at least a few nice books posted about in other threads and people are immidiately jumping up and down yelling press. So is every high grade book presed? It would appear so according to some.

It is my understanding that the difference between the Wonder Woman and "amateur color touch" is that on the Wonder Woman, the marker is not being used to replace missing color in order to make the book look more like it did when it was originally printed.

I'd have given the book a green label, though, and a higher grade. Structurally, it's a nice book.

After seeing that WW you gotta wonder what exactly does it take to get a PLOD these days, heck even Danny D has Blue labels for sale, 893whatthe.gif whats the world coming to.