• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone actually read the early Avengers?

50 posts in this topic

I've been reading the 1st 20 or so Avengers in the Marvel essentials and MAN are those early issues corny! Don't get me wrong, they are still cool but they don't exactly translate to today.

One thing that REALLY stood out was Captain Americas relationship with Bucky and Rick Jones. It might have been normal back then but he would definitely be investigated by the cops today the way he was so attached to teenage boys! hm

Another funny thing was them leaving notes for each other to inform them of some global threat they were rushing out to fight and having to catch a commercial flight to go cross country to fight some supervillian! lol

Yes, the early issues are hard to read and filled with Stan's egotistical take on the heroes. Being a Giant-Man fan, I believe #15 is his high point on the team. As a kid, having him jump out of an aircraft, grow to 100 feet and land on the top of two buildings was just too cool. And just as things were looking up for him, he disappears for a year (shrug)

Really, the early Avenges are pretty much like the rest of the early Marvel super hero era: They just don't hold up well. But I'm sure many of you, like me, thought they were great when we read them as kids. 2c

For me, it's a tough call. I'm Kirby's number one fan...and I like 1,3,4,8, and 9 from the first 10, but having bought # 56 off the stands as my first issue ever, I'm kinda spoiled on the Thomas / Buscema batch. That run from 56-100 still haven't really been surpassed ...although I LOVE that Pacheco Avengers Forever I think it was called. When I was a kid in the late 60's the Avengers were easily one of my favs. I liked 'em all really....but the FF, Spidey, and Thor would sell out occasionally and I'd miss one. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Ditto

I was always partial to vision, scarlet witch, yellowjacket and wasp. I was never much of a fan of iron man or cap.

Yes. Yellowjacket, Hawkeye and Black Widow were/are other favourites of mine from the first 100 issues.

You can read any Marvel books from the early 60's and call them corny by today's standards.

Doesn't mean that they aren't still cool in their own right.

Right you are! Comics take themselves too seriously these days. The creators seem to have forgotten that first and foremost comics are supposed to be fun.

(thumbs u

I hated the line-up change with issue #16. That grouping never appealed to me. And when Don Heck took over the interiors with next issue, it made it even worse for me. Nothing against Heck but just never thought him to be a good fit with the Avengers. There were still some good stories

I am not sure that they are necessarily embarrassing or corny. The book has the heroes operate by principles that we are not comfortable with overtly espousing anymore. Forty-five years is a long time.

The media since then teach us that it's far cooler to badassed. (shrug)

I started reading Avengers around issue 7 or 8 back then, But after about a year, with the lineup change and Don Heck taking over, I kept buying them but stopped reading them. XMen too. The lineup change to all second stringers was a big blow.

I thought the earliest Avengers were fun reads, and the Kirby pencils in the first 8 issues were high quality. There was a lot of ego bruising when the big boys first banded together. They also had no idea what to do with the Hulk, with the "they" referring both to the other Avengers and also Stan and Jack.

I am not sure that they are necessarily embarrassing or corny. The book has the heroes operate by principles that we are not comfortable with overtly espousing anymore. Forty-five years is a long time.

That has nothing to do with it to me. I just think it's overly wordy and bordering on pompous.

Even 45 years ago, if you'd have translated those scripts into movies, it would've sounded outright silly.

That has nothing to do with it to me. I just think it's overly wordy and bordering on pompous.

Even 45 years ago, if you'd have translated those scripts into movies, it would've sounded outright silly.

The problem with most modern comics is that they are overly arty and bordering on the stupid.

The problem with most modern comics is that they are overly arty and bordering on the stupid.

And the fact that the stories span 20+ issues over 12 different books. Suck it moderns!

I hated the line-up change with issue #16.

I was appalled by the change as a kid. Here I thought of the Avengers as Marvel's JLA and all of a sudden most of the members quit en masse and are replaced by new members who some months earlier were villains/criminals? Hey, that profoundly offended my sense of propriety. That plus the fact that the Marvel fellows just weren't heroic enough by my high standards e.g. the JLA, Fly, Jaguar etc. I mean some of the Marvel heroes were a bit freaky and they were always bickering with each other. Hey, what's with that? Aren't the heroes all supposed to be on the same side? These Marvel comics can be a bit confusing to a youngster....

:o

I really cant comment on moderns since i havent read a new book in probably 15 years at this point.

For me, i'd much rather crack out my Uncanny Xmens and read issues 100-166 than any moderns.

As far as the old Avengers, dont get me wrong, i still LOVE reading them and i'm not putting them down. Just hilarious though to see them trying to find a commercial flight to hop to get cross country to save the world! lol

Side note- I never realized that the Hulk wasn't stupid when he 1st came out. In the 1st few Avengers issues, he's actually capable on intelligent conversations not just "HULK SMASH!!!".