• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Color-blind Thor casting sparks hate-group outrage

377 posts in this topic

Of course Samuel L. could be German - there are black people over there, after all.

Pardons, "people of African origin." (Don't want to be called racist, Nazi, person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed-bag, etc. :eyeroll: )

Of course that wouldn't have made any sense considering the movie was a period piece, but hey...as long as we get an actor who's good in the role who cares (shrug)

Dude... :baiting:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_people_in_Nazi_Germany

-slym

Your point?

When worried about maintaining the atmosphere of a period piece, get to know the timeline, people and events. Sometimes, there are interesting surprises that make the research fun.

You assume too much. Without getting too many of the dim bulb crowd annoyed, there is no way Hitler would've recruited a black man to be the Red Skull.

I get it with the master race philosophy. But then I remembered reading about his situation with Jesse Owens, and I looked at it differently.

========================

Albert Speer writes that Hitler's reflected upon Owen's victories with a shrug as African physiques were primitive and stronger than whites.

Jesse Owens on the podium after winning the long jump at the 1936 Summer Olympics. L-R, on podium, Naoto Tajima, Owens, Luz Long. Owens was allowed to travel with and stay in the same hotels in Germany as whites, while at the time blacks in many parts of the United States had to stay in segregated hotels while traveling. After a New York City ticker-tape parade of Fifth Avenue in his honor, Owens had to ride the freight elevator at the Waldorf-Astoria to reach the reception honoring him.

Owens said, "Hitler didn't snub me – it was FDR who snubbed me. The president didn't even send me a telegram."

On the other hand, Hitler sent Owens a commemorative inscribed cabinet photograph of himself. Jesse Owens was never invited to the White House nor were honors bestowed upon him by President Franklin D. Roosevelt (FDR) or his successor Harry S. Truman during their terms. In 1955, President Dwight D. Eisenhower (himself an athlete of note) honored Owens by naming him an "Ambassador of Sports."

========================

So what if someone like Hitler figured out the deep hate that existed in America, and wanted to take advantage of it as part of his cause. Look at all the political marketing that was involved in WW II propaganda. Just imagine if he was able to convince Jesse Owens which side was further for his cause.

I know - crazy. May even offend some. But Hitler was grabbing for anything he could to establish The Reich. Why not use race to his advantage?

He didn't though, isn't that kind of the point?

Is this getting too close to politics?

Of course Samuel L. could be German - there are black people over there, after all.

Pardons, "people of African origin." (Don't want to be called racist, Nazi, person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed-bag, etc. :eyeroll: )

Of course that wouldn't have made any sense considering the movie was a period piece, but hey...as long as we get an actor who's good in the role who cares (shrug)

Dude... :baiting:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_people_in_Nazi_Germany

-slym

Your point?

When worried about maintaining the atmosphere of a period piece, get to know the timeline, people and events. Sometimes, there are interesting surprises that make the research fun.

You assume too much. Without getting too many of the dim bulb crowd annoyed, there is no way Hitler would've recruited a black man to be the Red Skull.

I get it with the master race philosophy. But then I remembered reading about his situation with Jesse Owens, and I looked at it differently.

========================

Albert Speer writes that Hitler's reflected upon Owen's victories with a shrug as African physiques were primitive and stronger than whites.

Jesse Owens on the podium after winning the long jump at the 1936 Summer Olympics. L-R, on podium, Naoto Tajima, Owens, Luz Long. Owens was allowed to travel with and stay in the same hotels in Germany as whites, while at the time blacks in many parts of the United States had to stay in segregated hotels while traveling. After a New York City ticker-tape parade of Fifth Avenue in his honor, Owens had to ride the freight elevator at the Waldorf-Astoria to reach the reception honoring him.

Owens said, "Hitler didn't snub me – it was FDR who snubbed me. The president didn't even send me a telegram."

On the other hand, Hitler sent Owens a commemorative inscribed cabinet photograph of himself. Jesse Owens was never invited to the White House nor were honors bestowed upon him by President Franklin D. Roosevelt (FDR) or his successor Harry S. Truman during their terms. In 1955, President Dwight D. Eisenhower (himself an athlete of note) honored Owens by naming him an "Ambassador of Sports."

========================

So what if someone like Hitler figured out the deep hate that existed in America, and wanted to take advantage of it as part of his cause. Look at all the political marketing that was involved in WW II propaganda. Just imagine if he was able to convince Jesse Owens which side was further for his cause.

I know - crazy. May even offend some. But Hitler was grabbing for anything he could to establish The Reich. Why not use race to his advantage?

He didn't though, isn't that kind of the point?

Is this getting too close to politics?

Are you kidding?

This is about a time on this planet where there was so much going on, you can see how even comic book creators took from this period and used it in their stories. Look at Hellboy and all the influence of the time, along with the details that came out later about the Reich and its involvement in the paranormal and occult. It's so crazy, you would think it came straight from a comic book.

Don't try and twist some politcal statement into a comic book discussion. Nobody took a stance to say someone was right or wrong socially, politically or otherwise. These were events that changed this world, and many of our beloved superheroes had stories that were inspired due to these times.

It hasn't really crossed the line, but if there's a mod online I'm sure they're watching it closely.

You're joking, right?

superman-12.jpg

EWWWWWW! I posted a picture of Supeman #12 holding a sailor and a soldier's arms in support of their cause. Please, stop me before I make a political statement.

Oh wait. How silly! This is a part of our comic book (and global) history. All clear!

doh!

It's been a civil discussion. However, the wrong mod seeing a discussion about race, and Nazis, and genetics, and Hitler and knowing the type of responses some people might make in regards to such things here in CG, will be watching it closely.

Considering they've been scratching their itchy trigger fingers quite liberally as of late I think may be the only thing that's kept the amount of silly posts out of the discussion so far.

It's been a civil discussion. However, the wrong mod seeing a discussion about race, and Nazis, and genetics, and Hitler and knowing the type of responses some people might make in regards to such things here in CG, will be watching it closely.

Considering they've been scratching their itchy trigger fingers quite liberally as of late I think may be the only thing that's kept the amount of silly posts out of the discussion so far.

It's a fair point a moderator may happen upon this discussion and potentially jump the gun.

All this discussion is about is reflecting on history, and how in a comic book world things could be portrayed differently to deliver an interesting twist on events leading to an entertaining story. Add to this characters that may or may not have lived who would assist in the delivery of this story.

Anyone trying to twist this into a political discussion should be ashamed of themself. What a way to shut down a good conversation.

:sorry:

(tsk)

Good discussion or not, when you start talking about Hitler and the Nazis, the end of the thread is near. 2c

And to continue with said rather than moving on is sure to draw attention.

(tsk)

Good discussion or not, when you start talking about Hitler and the Nazis, the end of the thread is near. 2c

True, if people start making it into something other than a hypothetical comic book story discussion. Unfortunately, people can't help but put a slant on such a tough topic.

Point well taken.

(tsk)

True, if people start making it into something other than a hypothetical comic book story discussion. Unfortunately, people can't help but put a slant on such a tough topic.

Point well taken.

I didn't think you were and I wasn't planning on it. There are people here who are easily butthurt as evidenced by the discussion in the FF thread and I would rather err on the side of caution.

(tsk)

Point well taken.

I didn't think you were and I wasn't planning on it. There are people here who are easily butthurt as evidenced by the discussion in the FF thread and I would rather err on the side of caution.

They're everywhere. :ohnoez:

5d5.gif