• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Color-blind Thor casting sparks hate-group outrage

377 posts in this topic

effin ridiculous :screwy:

Idris Elba as Heimdall

Upset that British actor Idris Elba—of The Losers and The Wire—was cast as Heimdal in Marvel's cinematic take on the traditionally pale Norse myths, a Missouri-based hate group is urging a boycott.

The Council for Concerned Citizens, a legitimate hate group based in St. Louis, takes offense at Marvel's choice to employ color-blind casting when filling the role of Heimdall, the sentry of Asgard. A post on their website states:

"It's not enough that Marvel attacks conservatives values, now mythological Gods must be re-invented with black skin. ... It seems that Marvel Studios believes that white people should have nothing that is unique to themselves."

This Council isn't the only organization that takes umbrage at Elba's presence in the halls of Asgard: A site called Boycott Thor seems to be a clearinghouse of news items devoted to it, as well as Marvel's other left-wing tendencies, including the pro-African series Black Panther.

For his part, Elba has addressed this head-on in the past: "Thor's mythical, right? Thor has a hammer that flies to him when he clicks his fingers. That's OK, but the color of my skin is wrong? I was cast in Thor and I'm cast as a Nordic god. If you know anything about the Nords, they don't look like me but there you go. I think that's a sign of the times for the future."

Unfortunately for the future, there are always going to be people who want to hold on to the past.

(via Spinoff Online)

Thor is a biggie to some of these folks though as some of the supremacist types (especially in prison) worship him, wear hammer rings, etc. Obviously not the Marvel character, the one still being worshipped until about 800 or 900 years ago.

As for the casting choice, they're upset that they've cast a black actor as Asgard's security guard? If I remember correctly, he's not even allowed to go inside, doesn't he have to stand at the entrance to the rainbow bridge to keep baddies out? sounds pretty racist to me. i'm surprised the NAACP isn't objecting.

The irony is that one of Heimdall's names is "the white god" hah hah

He also slept around with a lot of Swedish women:

"In legend he enjoyed wandering through the earthly realms and was the progenitor of three classes of human beings: serfs, peasants and members of the rulling classes. Each was the result of Heimdall's dalliance with a different mortal woman. Serfs were the descendants of the god's son Trall, a strong and willing worker. Peasants were the children of Karl, a farmer and warrior and rulers including the first king of Denmark were descended from the god's son, Jarl."

Hmmm, maybe they should have cast Tiger Woods in the role...

The Council for Concerned Citizens, a legitimate hate group based in St. Louis

As opposed to "illegitimate" hate groups? How does one become a legitimate hate group? Do you have to be certified? Take a test? Curious.

For his part, Elba has addressed this head-on in the past: "Thor's mythical, right? Thor has a hammer that flies to him when he clicks his fingers. That's OK, but the color of my skin is wrong? I was cast in Thor and I'm cast as a Nordic god. If you know anything about the Nords, they don't look like me but there you go. I think that's a sign of the times for the future."

Best quote of the year, idris_elba.jpg

unless maybe we're talking about famous ethiopian-swedish chef marcus samuelsson:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marcus_Samuelsson

As opposed to "illegitimate" hate groups? How does one become a legitimate hate group? Do you have to be certified? Take a test? Curious.

I was wondering the same thing. Who determines what is a "legitimate" hate group?

Is there an election somewhere...?

I was wondering the same thing. Who determines what is a "legitimate" hate group?

Is there an election somewhere...?

In the alley behind Piggley Wiggley, sometime after 10 last night.

Color-blind Thor casting sparks hate-group outrage

In accordance with that, Jack Kirby's Black Panther should be cast with a White person?

Political correctness often shoots itself in the foot.

I think there was a marvel what if like that

unless maybe we're talking about famous ethiopian-swedish chef marcus samuelsson:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marcus_Samuelsson

Also, famous soccer players, Martin Dahlin (Swede) and John Carew (Norwegian)