• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TOD #10 vs MS #5

17 posts in this topic

With all the exposure of Blade with the 2 movies and Blade 3 in production to be released later this year why is MS #5 selling for more than TOD #10? There is only speculation about a GR movie that might be produced. Is it because GR is a 2nd tier character and Blade is a 3rd tier character? confused-smiley-013.gif

Is it because GR is a 2nd tier character and Blade is a 3rd tier character? confused-smiley-013.gif

thumbsup2.gif GR has had several series, was a member of The Champions, has appeared in other titles and books, etc.,.

Ditto Ghost Rider has a run of 81 issues and has had more recent comic book series as well as guest starring in the Champions. Blade was a guest starring supporting character in Tomb of Dracula Ghost Rider 1 and Marvel Spotlight 5 had some value even before any mention of a film Tomb of Dracula basically came out of the blue with the release of the Blade films.

Is it because GR is a 2nd tier character and Blade is a 3rd tier character? confused-smiley-013.gif

thumbsup2.gif GR has had several series, was a member of The Champions, has appeared in other titles and books, etc.,.

I was thinking that although Blade is a 3rd tier character that maybe his movie exposure would even the playing field out with GRs title appearances. juggle.gif

I guess the conclusion is that movie exposure does not translate to comic popularity at least in this case compared to more established characters. gossip.gif

Here's the deal with speculation:

The new and unknown is always more enticing than the old and quantifiable.

Blade is a known movie quantity, with two flicks in the can and a sequel on the way. To speculators, this screams "old news" and that the "mad money" potential is probably pretty low.

Ghost Rider is an unknown movie quantity, so speculators see huge "mad money potential" in buying and flipping books based purely on hype. Until the GR movie actually arrives, they can say it'll be as great as they want and drive newbies wild with desire.

not to mention ms5 was singled out from day one as a 1st appearance of importance, and was always worth more than surrounding issues. even before the early 90's run up. TOD10 was not broken out until the movie hit. Its a simple case of a character people always cared about vs. new interest. A few hundred dollars is movie hype, but the whole thing is way older than that.

not to mention ms5 was singled out from day one as a 1st appearance of importance, and was always worth more than surrounding issues. even before the early 90's run up. TOD10 was not broken out until the movie hit.

Nope, check yer Overstreets for proof. TOD 10 had its own line (like DD 131 - 1st Bullseye) long before the movie.

To me it comes down to Ghost Rider is a kik arse comic charecter/title

And Blade cannot hold a candle to G.R. not in story driven material, not in, supernatural , fantastic art, or for that matter comic book stuff in general.

but thats my personal opinion.

Both movies will most likely stink,( but I hope G.R is awesome) and fans of both comics will go see them, a few new fans of the movie will seek out the comics, and their begginings, but all in all.

If the charecter aint popular before the movie, then the comic wont jump that much.

Speculation about what a comic will do after the movie comes out is a bunch of hoo- ha.

Half the people that are screaming the comic will jump in price after a movie comes out, are the ones hoarding 25 copies , laying in wait to reap in a small profit after the price does jump..

But the general public does not know, or care about high grade stuff, so for a NM copy to increase double, or triple after a movies release seems ludacris.

After 10 years if that comic title and movie are still prominent in the public eye then I can see how a movie affects a comic titles price.

but for the most part, price reflects demand, and sadly after a movie comes out hype is so overblown, that the price is grossly over inflated to the point of making the comic unatainable.

I do think Movies are great for the entire industry, and can do nothing but help comics( unless the movie is so bad it makes people hate the title)

And I stick with the statement that Ghost Rider can kik Blades butt. makepoint.gif

Zeman

I wasnt aware that G.R. was alive to start with......hence the GHOST in his name

And isnt Blade half dead? if he is part vampire?

hrmmmmmm........ A whole Ghost, can still kick half a vamps arse in my book.

But then again, Blade is used to killing the undead.. would be an interesting

"What If" title

Or is it already one?

Just having fun with the thread J.C.

27_laughing.gif

Zeman