• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC Mailers

6 posts in this topic

While I normally use the cost effective priority mail system for US deliveries, foreign shipping is another thing where it can cost 3-4 dollars per half pound. I have been researching the CGC comic mailers. The cost of shipping alone is frightening.

ANybody here know:

1) If they have any retailers with these items anywhere near Denver, Colorado.

2) Suppliers that sell and ship reasonably.

Bill Cole shipping was staggering in price. Bags unlimited was better but still shocking. Thanks-

I know that when you get the Priority boxes from the USPS they expect that you will not "abuse" them in any way.

Well, sometimes I cheat.

For international shipments, I take the 1097 box and I open up the glued edge, then refold it and tape it back shut.

With the CGC slab wrapped in mid-sized bubblewrap there is no movement and everything fits snugly. If I think there's going to be a problem during shipping, I sometimes "double-box" and put it inside a reversed 1092.

The guys and gals at the PO haven't given me any grief about it yet...

Larry

I've been using boxes I get free at work. At my job they print forms all the time and throw away the empty boxes--they're mine for the taking. Legal size form boxes fit CGC books perfectly. Regular size form boxes fit unslabbed books perfectly. There's just enough extra room for the bubble wrap and I cut down cardboard for additional protection.

What I do: I lay the books flat in the bottom of the box (naturally they're protected with plastic bags, unslabbed books in bags and backing boards) and put a couple peices of cardboard on top to protect the books, and bubble wrap around the edges. Then, using a utility knife, I cut off the top flaps. I cut the edges of the box so that the sides of the box become the new flaps, I gently cut (not all the way through) around the inside edges of the box to create the fold for the new flaps. The box then becomes the perfect size for whatever stack of books I have, whether I have fifteen comics or fifty unslabbed books for example, the box is whatever size I cut it to.

It's hard to describe, I hope I've made it clear, I should actually take some digital pictures of the process because it's super-easy and it makes a box any size out of re-used free boxes. If you can get free boxes from work like I can, it's no problem to create a box any size, as long as you can get one with the right size bottom, and as I said, legal size form boxes fit CGC books perfectly, regular size form boxes fit regular comics perfectly, both boxes have just enough extra room for any bubble wrap or extra protection you want to add.

Charlie

when I send CGC books I put them inbetween cardboard, then bubble wrap snug into a short comic box (the white ones) and lid on, seal them good (be sure to cover handle holes) and then there you go. Stays pretty light and you can send it over Niagara falls.

PS read my article on shipping your comics in The Overstreet Comic Book Grading Guide, 2nd edition for when handling non graded comics, especially when submitting to CGC - so many people damaged their own books with poor shipping habits..