• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are HG Silver JLA books worth buying or investing in??? DC vs Marvel

52 posts in this topic

But remember, I may outlast you & Acesilver confused-smiley-013.gif so I should start adding to my slush fund/retirement account...just in case.

Rick

Hadn't thought of that possibility! foreheadslap.gif Guess I better stop eating this double bacon cheeseburger. 27_laughing.gif BTW, see the 9.2 JLA 7 on Heritage? White pages!!!

I wonder if it's too late for me to become a vegetarian or tofu lover? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

If you are wondering what to invest in you shouldn't be investing. There are plenty of HG collections that will come up for sale, estate sales, divorce, baby-rooms, etc force many sales. Roter kept the best Pacific Coast copies for himself, and once I bought a B&B 28 in NM for $30.00 at a shop. Dealer had it priced as JLA 28, covered the bag with price on the B&B banner. When I pointed it out he sold it to me anyway because I was honest. So save your money, and enjoy your life without the stress of investing. That is the best investment you can make. Otherwise, pool your cash and wait for collections. Single book buying is the second worst investment you could make. The first worst investment is stockpiling ammo, because the primers have a new shelf life of one year and won't fire after the expiration, to prevent militia movements from gaining power...

Fair point. But the chances of an average collector coming across a real nice collection vs. a dealer or top collector sniffing it out first are pretty rare IMO. So after they've cherry-picked you are still left with having to buy partial vs. full collections.

If you define "long run" as 10 years then yes, it does have that potential. Now if 6 other copies are graded 9.4 and 3 are graded 9.6's and a 9.8 pops up in the meantime, then you'd better make that 20 years to life!

Timely

As to will B&B 28 be a six figure book someday? Never say never, but there is only one silver DC book that has cracked the $100k barrier thus far, the CGC 9.4 copy of Showcase 4, and to my knowledge nothing else has even come close. And as far as I can tell, it only changes hands between dealers, so I'm a bit skeptical as to whether there is any genuine demand for that book at that price. The 9.2 copy of Showcase has been languishing on PGCMint's site at $67k for eons.

My general take is that those few collectors out there who can and do pay $100k+ are either GA or Marvel collectors, and low-five figures seems to be a real ceiling for silver DC.

That pretty well sums it up! smile.gif

As to will B&B 28 be a six figure book someday? Never say never, but there is only one silver DC book that has cracked the $100k barrier thus far, the CGC 9.4 copy of Showcase 4, and to my knowledge nothing else has even come close. And as far as I can tell, it only changes hands between dealers, so I'm a bit skeptical as to whether there is any genuine demand for that book at that price. The 9.2 copy of Showcase has been languishing on PGCMint's site at $67k for eons.

My general take is that those few collectors out there who can and do pay $100k+ are either GA or Marvel collectors, and low-five figures seems to be a real ceiling for silver DC.

Unless the worst actually comes to pass, Yes I think there will definitely be 100K-plus DCs Silver sales. Of course, AF15 will be selling for $250K by then, but... As to which book it will be? Perhaps B&B28. I think Showcase 4 will never regain its former lustre as First (coolest and rarest) SA book in grade. There are lots of cool and baluable SA DCs...but non ethat match the historic Firsts and popularity of the Marvel #1s..

the six figure DC sales will be limited to the golden age keys, while the people who would be buying the S.A. books are already invested in Marvel. The newer generations will pass the S.A. DC's because they were already priced out in the early 90's, and are unfamiliar with a market they were born too late for. The older dudes seeking to fulfill childhood ambitions will settle for lower grade copies. This won't push the NM prices up at all. And of course the young guys will outlive the the dudes that are holding these collections now, waiting for the golden egg to hatch, because sentimental markets will dwindle as the interest sways away from them. They will have outlived their own market. Same thing happened to collector cars, nobody is building hot rods from the 20's and early 30's because the genre moved on with the next generations.

PS I love DC, but all the blood is out of the water, so to speak...

interesting points... Im not sure I agree completely, but I agree that Marvels definitle have far greater attraction for younger collectors. So what do you think is "too much" to pay for the 9.4 B&B28 in Heritage given your statememnt that there is very little upside left for SA DCs?? Or will th ekeys be safer?

flowerred.gif

i didn't know you were a DC hater - SHAME 893naughty-thumb.gif

For the first time in a long time, you DC loving lot are finally making some sense to me. tongue.gif

By the way B&B books suck.

Showcase, Flash, GL, Atom and Aquaman suck too. Worst books in the world. No one on these boards should touch them with a 10-foot pole, especially if they're pre-1965 issues in 9.4 or higher.

Spend your money on Spider-man's, because there's more high grade copies available and a much deeper market if you should find yourself in a position to have to sell. And everyone knows that Marvels rool! 27_laughing.gif

Let me start off by saying that for most of my collecting career I have been hardcore Marvel. However I really like JLA and most of the old stories. They just seem like a different animal then what I collect now. When I want to get a high grade Tales of Suspense book I usually have 3 NM, 2 NM+ copies to chose from ect. ect. When I look at the census for JLA a lot of the time the best copy is one NM-. So which is better to collect or invest in? Should I spend big $$$ to buy the best JLA books when there may be a ton more graded later or spend big $$$ on high grade marvel where the scarcity isn't there now let alone in the future? Is there even really a market for High Grade DC's?

Have fun..

Eric

So did you take the plunge and buy anything? popcorn.gif

I purchased a CGC 9.2 copy of JLA #12 (highest graded) and a 9.0 copy of #7

Eric

Good for you! We've got you started now! 893applaud-thumb.gif You'll find you're hooked in no time. devil.gif Did you get them from Heritage or someplace else? I'd be interested to know how much they cost you. If you don't mind my asking. Or you could PM me if you'd like.