• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are HG Silver JLA books worth buying or investing in??? DC vs Marvel

52 posts in this topic

Let me start off by saying that for most of my collecting career I have been hardcore Marvel. However I really like JLA and most of the old stories. They just seem like a different animal then what I collect now. When I want to get a high grade Tales of Suspense book I usually have 3 NM, 2 NM+ copies to chose from ect. ect. When I look at the census for JLA a lot of the time the best copy is one NM-. So which is better to collect or invest in? Should I spend big $$$ to buy the best JLA books when there may be a ton more graded later or spend big $$$ on high grade marvel where the scarcity isn't there now let alone in the future? Is there even really a market for High Grade DC's?

Have fun..

Eric

Repeat after me:

Read the stories and buy what you like.

(Repeat until you've answered your question)

Whenever I've asked myself the question you're asking (and it's happened a lot over the last 25 years), the only time I've never gone wrong with an "investment" in a particular genre or series is when I have followed the above advice. Any time I've deviated from that by buying a book that I didn't like because I thought it would be "hot" or "a good investment," I have not done well. Chances are that if you like a book, there will be demand for it. If there is a limited supply, then it'll increase in value. But if you read it and hate it, then why take the chance? You'd hate to be the last guy off the speculator bus when everyone else is bailing out.

Let me start off by saying that for most of my collecting career I have been hardcore Marvel. However I really like JLA and most of the old stories. They just seem like a different animal then what I collect now. When I want to get a high grade Tales of Suspense book I usually have 3 NM, 2 NM+ copies to chose from ect. ect. When I look at the census for JLA a lot of the time the best copy is one NM-. So which is better to collect or invest in? Should I spend big $$$ to buy the best JLA books when there may be a ton more graded later or spend big $$$ on high grade marvel where the scarcity isn't there now let alone in the future? Is there even really a market for High Grade DC's?

Have fun..

Eric

Eric have i the same dilemma, i like Marvels, loved them when i was a kid, but for investment make mine DC. If the Market as whole is prediacted on scarcity, wouldn't make sense to but the scarcest books. Use the CGC census as a guide there a bunch of X-Men 1's and Avenger's 1 and the like, but very few JLA 1's. IMHO JLA is the way to go, especially high grade, if you can find them.

Dmac358

but so far, it is generally agreed that there has been no compelling (read: $$$$$) reason to grade DCs. I believe the census for early SA DCs will be half the census for Marvels (in part because DCs started 3-4 years earlier in the late 50s making them tougher in grade). But DC demand will seemingly always trail Marvels'. But we still do not know how many more will surface. So its up to you to guess!

Is there even really a market for High Grade DC's?

No there isn't. Don't buy them, stay away.... tongue.gif

I agree...DC sucks...especially that Doom Patrol series... insane.gif

Yeah, and hi-grade late 60's/early 70's horror is plentiful in high grade (not slabbed mind you as it's just not worth it to get them slabbed), so avoid that genre at all cost! Please! 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Yeah, and hi-grade late 60's/early 70's horror is plentiful in high grade (not slabbed mind you as it's just not worth it to get them slabbed), so avoid that genre at all cost! Please! 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Absolutely true! There is no interest in these books, so just ignore them! And those Neal Adams covers? Junk!

Absolutely true! There is no interest in these books, so just ignore them! And those Neal Adams covers? Junk!

cool.gif

Whenever I've asked myself the question you're asking (and it's happened a lot over the last 25 years), the only time I've never gone wrong with an "investment" in a particular genre or series is when I have followed the above advice. Any time I've deviated from that by buying a book that I didn't like because I thought it would be "hot" or "a good investment," I have not done well.

You hit the nail on the head with that one. thumbsup2.gif

Hate to burst anyone's bubble, but the "investment" aspect of Silver JLAs is history.

If you're after anything in high caliber that's on the open market right now, you have to go up against me and a handful of other JLA collectors. *Note* I said "collectors" and not investors/speculators/gamblers. We DCers don't buy to "flip"; we keep what we find. Not that there's anything wrong with flipping..just that you'll have better luck with Spideys, etc.

If you do get a decent JLA from 1-116, I can pretty much guarantee that you're going to pay top dollar for it; meaning your chances of making a profit in the near future are pretty much nil.

Sounds like I'm trying to scare people away, but honestly I'm speaking from experience. I'm not expecting a profit on the top books I get today. On the other hand, I don't plan on selling my JLA set...ever.

Oh yeah...and JLA sucks.

Rick

On the other hand, I don't plan on selling my JLA set...ever.

Darn it, Rick, that means either Acesilver or I are going to have to outlive you. Go have a couple bottles of vodka and some nice, fat juicy ribs, along with some fettucini alfredo tonight, on me! Tomorrow, it's time for you to finally fulfill your dreams of being a world class tower jumper. They've got some nice tall buildings in Vegas, right? devil.gif

Well, at my age you would think junk food would be a thing of the past. WRONG! That seems to be my main vice (besides my potty-mouth...right, Supa?), so looks like I may last awhile. However...

If I can't come close to completing a 9.0+ set within a few years, I just may let you other dogs fight over them. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Currently at 85 of the first 200 with 20 of the top 25.

But remember, I may outlast you & Acesilver confused-smiley-013.gif so I should start adding to my slush fund/retirement account...just in case.

Rick

But remember, I may outlast you & Acesilver confused-smiley-013.gif so I should start adding to my slush fund/retirement account...just in case.

Rick

Hadn't thought of that possibility! foreheadslap.gif Guess I better stop eating this double bacon cheeseburger. 27_laughing.gif BTW, see the 9.2 JLA 7 on Heritage? White pages!!!

Hate to burst anyone's bubble, but the "investment" aspect of Silver JLAs is history.

If you're after anything in high caliber that's on the open market right now, you have to go up against me and a handful of other JLA collectors. *Note* I said "collectors" and not investors/speculators/gamblers. We DCers don't buy to "flip"; we keep what we find. Not that there's anything wrong with flipping..just that you'll have better luck with Spideys, etc.

If you do get a decent JLA from 1-116, I can pretty much guarantee that you're going to pay top dollar for it; meaning your chances of making a profit in the near future are pretty much nil.

Sounds like I'm trying to scare people away, but honestly I'm speaking from experience. I'm not expecting a profit on the top books I get today. On the other hand, I don't plan on selling my JLA set...ever.

Oh yeah...and JLA sucks.

Rick

Absolutely Rick and it is not confined to JLA, try beating out DC collectors for Showcase, B&B, Bat, Tec books. It just isn't going to happen. I still have 6 B&B graded books bought over 3 years ago that are still top census and they ain't ever coming back on the market.

By the way B&B books suck.

...see the 9.2 JLA 7 on Heritage? White pages!!!

Yea, there's a few I got my eye on, and that's one of 'em.

Check out all those dee-lish 6.5-8.5 JLAs in this Sunday's auction. Woo-hoo!! I am SO *not* THERE!

blush.gif

Sorry if I'm sounding elitist; it's just that my cut-off is 9.0 minimum, and I don't see how these mid-grade books will make money for anyone besides Heritage. Unload those babies on ebay...and move on.

Rick

Absolutely Rick and it is not confined to JLA, try beating out DC collectors for Showcase, B&B, Bat, Tec books. It just isn't going to happen. I still have 6 B&B graded books bought over 3 years ago that are still top census and they ain't ever coming back on the market.

Attaboy, 'Shroom! We DCers gotta show 'em what true loyalty is all about. And thanx for my new sig line. thumbsup2.gif

Rick

Showcase, Flash, GL, Atom and Aquaman suck too. Worst books in the world. No one on these boards should touch them with a 10-foot pole, especially if they're pre-1965 issues in 9.4 or higher.

Spend your money on Spider-man's, because there's more high grade copies available and a much deeper market if you should find yourself in a position to have to sell. And everyone knows that Marvels rool! 27_laughing.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

If you're talking about a wise *investment*, I'd say, guns, ammo and canned food. 27_laughing.gif Just kidding.

I've always been a DC *and* Marvel guy. When I'm not being a Golden Age Fawcett guy or an E.C. horror comics guy.

I love all the mainstream stuff from both the major companies. I can appreciate Ditko Spider-man and Kirby Fantastic Four, and I can appreciate Wayne Boring and Curt Swan Superman, all the early JLA issues, Carmine Infantino Flash--I really never understood why there are "DC" and "Marvel" people anyway! Both companies have such great characters, such great history.

But if you're looking for a good investment--I'd say, sell all your Silver Age books and invest in copies of Spawn # 1 in 9.4 and up. After all, there are only a few million copies in existance, most of which are in Near Mint, so there's a good supply of them for you to invest in. insane.gif