• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Madness Must End

174 posts in this topic

i'm to the point unless his name is in the credits i won't let him touch the book, to dam expensive for his sig

i have about 2-3 books that he had nothing to do with that he signed

i pass looking at books on ebay if he signed them if he didn't work on it

i agree for how meny books he's signed it's not special anymore to get it

Okay, obviously the general public simply doesn't get it. Obviously a large chunk of the hobby doesn't get it.

STOP HAVING STAN LEE SIGN EVERY DAMN BOOK MARVEL PUBLISHES!

I'm all for doing what you want with your books. Get 'em signed, sketched on, whatever. I even understand having creators sign books they had nothing to do with but they did create the character. What I don't get is having Stan Lee sign books like "Captain America the 1940's Newspaper Strip." Stan had nothing to do with the book. He didn't write it, draw it color it, letter it, ink it, or edit it. He didn't even create Captain America! WHY would anyone have him sign it? New Mutants #86 is another example. He didn't create the New Mutants and certainly didn't stand over Rob Liefeld and tell him to put more pouches on Cable. WHY would you want Stan to sign it????

Don't get me wrong, I love Stan Lee, but having him sign every damn book that flows forth from Marvel's presses is just silly.

Here's what I propose: When someone sees a book like this come before Stan, ask the owner, "WTF?" or make the statement "He didn't do anything on that book, you dolt."

It's up to us to stop the madness.

I'm going to bed now I think it's actually the Maker's Mark doing the typing now....

Is there still any chance of you being interested in my Stan Lee signed Omac #1? :wishluck:

I agree it is silly having him sign books he had nothing to do with. I laugh when I see people trying to get $1000 for a modern he signed ::cough::blackstarcomics::cough:: :makepoint:

So like these books? or does Stan Lee's name have to be in the credits on the label?

Spiderman1_Platinum.jpgASM583.jpgNewXmen20.jpgUXmen268.jpgASM300.jpg

Three of those are perfect.

Spiderman1_Platinum.jpgASM583.jpg

ASM300.jpg

One is shaky but acceptable to me...

UXmen268.jpg

And the last one might fit, but I might be persuaded.

NewXmen20.jpg

The Spideys are easy. I will let the X-Men 268 slide because Stan had a hand in Black Widow even though he had no connection to Wolvie or Cap, but more importantly you added people who actually did work on the book rather than just Stan. The X-Men is shaky because it's not the team he created (at least I don't think it is, I don't read X-Men) but again you added people who actually worked on the book.

The heart of my complaint is in having Stan and only Stan sign something unrelated. Deadpool? Really? Why?

I don't know if you guys/gals have checked but if you go to Ebay right now and hit CGC SS there are like 30 Stan Lee SS books just listed, most of which fit Medicar's post. I tend to agree, it's really just dumb....too much of a good thing.

That's where the ire originated.

Ah so the people who put a DC comic in front of Stan Lee to sign. Then there are the Stan Lee sketches

Well......not necessarily. There were the "Just Imagine" books he did for DC and a single Superman book. But you're getting close. Why have him sign a copy of X-23 when he had nothing to do with it? It makes as much sense as having him sign Superman #544.

As for the sketches..... guilty :blush:

I figured I'll never have a Ditko sketch but I do have a Romita Sr. and now a Stan Lee, so that's as close as I'll ever get.

lol

I think medic is referring to getting Stan Lee to sign books he had nothing to do with at all. I think any copy of spider-man, x-men,Daredevil etc are fine because at least he was the co-creator on those books.

For anyone that watches the big bang theory it is like when Sheldon wanted Stan to sign a copy of Batman. He had nothing to do with it so why would you have him sign it?

To answer the question about whether I would have him sign a book or not if the price was reasonable I would consider it, but as someone noted earlier there are 30 Stan sigs on ebay right now. His autograph is far from difficult to find. My question is roughly how many Stan Lee sigs do you think are out there?

You're right on the money. If he actually created it, it's fair game. I don't like Hulk #181, but he created the Hulk, so eh....

As for how many are out there, ask Dances With Wolves...."as many as there are stars in the sky." That doesn't really diminish them much though. I still treasure mine!

Doesn't it cheapen the whole experience if you can so easily get his signature. He is like a robot at these events, and people just line up like cattle to plop a book down in front of him.

I think the op is completely on the makers mark! Stop signing everything. It just isn't special if everyone and their grandmother has a Stan Lee sig. IMO

i'm to the point unless his name is in the credits i won't let him touch the book, to dam expensive for his sig

i have about 2-3 books that he had nothing to do with that he signed

i pass looking at books on ebay if he signed them if he didn't work on it

i agree for how meny books he's signed it's not special anymore to get it

No, no, no...you're missing the point. As I said before, I love my Stan sigs, I still have a few more I want to get done. I've always advocated collecting what you want and doing with it as you please. I just don't get the logic in some of this stuff, much less trying to resell it.

I don't think Stan's signature will ever be truly cheap, it is common now, but he won't be here forever and will likely be a signature that many, many collectors will see it as a must have.

To put it in perspective, he's no spring chicken. I think a lot of people love him for his personality as much as his body of work and they are thinking to themselves "I better get one now, because one slip and the tub and that might be it for Stan". That of course is true for all of us but I think you have at least some out there trying to secure a signature before he passes and everyone doubles the price because they know Stan won't be signing any more of these.....

I have one Stan Lee SS, on a Fantastic Four #122 that he wrote. I just need one because I don't plan on selling it and I plan on keeping it. I agree with MedicAR it is a "must have" sig, so I got it.

I like what Dark Prime 0 mentioned: A Stan Lee signature isn't cheap so when I have picked them up, I make sure it's a book that is significant to the Marvel universe / history. To date, I have 5 Stan Lee signatures on comic books (and one large portrait photo in my office--which you can see in my CAF gallery):

AF 15-cover

ASM 50-cover with John Romita Sr

ToS 39-Interior Splash

JIM 83-Cover

AV 4-Cover

I would have had him sign my ASM 1, but I'm just not comfortable removing it from the slab being a 1.0 and all. Obviously, if you want him to sign your book, it's your book to do with as you see fit. My only thought is value will drop if there's no logical connection so make sure you're doing it for personal reasons rather than investment purposes.

Look at Stan Lee as the Babe Ruth of comics signatures. Everybody knows who both men are, whether you're a fan of their work or not and even whether you're in the hobby or not. I'm shocked at how many people recognize Stan's name without being into comics at all. Both men sign(ed) for darn near anyone that would approach them and both sign(ed) darn near anything. People outside of the hobby assume that each man's signature is coveted and priceless, but the supply available keep the prices down relative to other signatures.

That's not to say The Babe's signature is cheap, but compared to other stars of the time, it's not bad.

Look at Stan Lee as the Babe Ruth of comics signatures. Everybody knows who both men are, whether you're a fan of their work or not and even whether you're in the hobby or not. I'm shocked at how many people recognize Stan's name without being into comics at all. Both men sign(ed) for darn near anyone that would approach them and both sign(ed) darn near anything. People outside of the hobby assume that each man's signature is coveted and priceless, but the supply available keep the prices down relative to other signatures.

That's not to say The Babe's signature is cheap, but compared to other stars of the time, it's not bad.

Doug... if your comparison holds true, then people SHOULD be getting as many Stan Lee signatures as they can! Granted, a Gehrig is going to run you a lot more but a Ruth is is top-tier sports signature with a hefty entrance fee for even the entry-level signatures.

lol

Regardless, the value of the signature itself certainly is affected by the applicability / appropriateness of that which is signed.

2c

With every new post you seem to be making more of an argument to get his sig! I think the alcohol is wearing off!

Apparently. The first post still stands. I'll drink more and get on a "Hate Stan" rant. lol

(thumbs u

Wheres NYComics to defend the man anyway????

Doug... if your comparison holds true, then people SHOULD be getting as many Stan Lee signatures as they can! Granted, a Gehrig is going to run you a lot more but a Ruth is is top-tier sports signature with a hefty entrance fee for even the entry-level signatures.

lol

Regardless, the value of the signature itself certainly is affected by the applicability / appropriateness of that which is signed.

2c

Really? Has it changed that much since the early 90's? :o

Wow....I guess I should have researched it. When I was working in a sports card/comics shop, no one seemed impressed with Ruth's signature. They were after Mantle and such. I remember the shop owner telling me to stay away from Ruth due to the high number of forgeries and relative ease of getting one. He was pretty savvy at the time.

(shrug)

With every new post you seem to be making more of an argument to get his sig! I think the alcohol is wearing off!

Apparently. The first post still stands. I'll drink more and get on a "Hate Stan" rant. lol

(thumbs u

Wheres NYComics to defend the man anyway????

on the phone setting up another Stan signing...