• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Madness Must End

174 posts in this topic

Per the GCD

Batman Tribute (Table of Contents)

Batman / text article / 1 page (report information)

Credits

-script:

Stan Lee

Pencils:

Fred Butler

Inks:

Fred Butler

Colors:

?

Letters:

Typeset

Content Information

Genre:

superhero

Characters:

Batman

Indexer Notes

Text tribute with background illustration taken from the cover of Batman #430.

STOP LETTING DOUG DRINK MAKERS MARK WHISKEY SO LATE AT NIGHT! HIS POSTS LOOK LIKE THEY CAME FROM JOE PIERSON'S COMUPTER! THAT IS ALL! !

:gossip: the preceeding post was generated out of love and admiration for the makers of Maker's Mark.

And Doug.

And Joe.

:think:

He didn't create the New Mutants and certainly didn't stand over Rob Liefeld and tell him to put more pouches on Cable.

:roflmao:

No...but he probably did call Rob into the board room at some point after NM 87 came out and asked him who the frack taught him how to draw. ;)

There were the "Just Imagine" books he did for DC and a single Superman book. But you're getting close. Why have him sign a copy of X-23 when he had nothing to do with it? It makes as much sense as having him sign Superman #544.

It makes a lot more sense. Without Stan Lee, there never would have been an X-23 (Stan created the Hulk, which begat Wolverine, which begat X-23). As the creator or co-creator of the "core" Marvel superheroes, Stan has a connection with every character in the Marvel Universe (this refers to the characters that Marvel owns, as opposed to those that Marvel currently has or previously had a license to publish). Granted, some connections are more remote than others, but the connection is nevertheless there. On the other hand, having scripted a story of a non-Marvel Universe character that he did not create is not much of a connection to prior or subsequent appearances of that character.

That being said, there are a whole lot of Marvel books that a few years ago I would have jumped at the chance to get Stan to sign that now I would not even consider due to a combination of the increased cost and how much more "common" his signature has become. That includes books like Star Wars and G.I. Joe, where the only connection is that Stan = Marvel, and Marvel published those books. But I don't begrudge anybody if they want to get Stan to sign a G.I. Joe #21, or a New Mutants #98 for that matter. From a selfish standpoint I wish that Stan's signature was as special as it was a few years ago, but times have changed and as long as there is a demand, Stan will keep on signing. 'Nuff said.

I'm going to have Stan sign my Chew 1, Mornig Glories 1, Sixth Gun 1, Lady Mechanika 1, and every book that isn't Marvel, because without Stan Lee there would of never been comic books like they are today.

Stan signed my TMNT #1. Without him creating the hulk, the color green would not exist.

Stan can sign that because his name is hidden in the title:

Teenage Mutant NiNjA TurtLeS :insane::acclaim:

There were the "Just Imagine" books he did for DC and a single Superman book. But you're getting close. Why have him sign a copy of X-23 when he had nothing to do with it? It makes as much sense as having him sign Superman #544.

It makes a lot more sense. Without Stan Lee, there never would have been an X-23 (Stan created the Hulk, which begat Wolverine, which begat X-23). As the creator or co-creator of the "core" Marvel superheroes, Stan has a connection with every character in the Marvel Universe (this refers to the characters that Marvel owns, as opposed to those that Marvel currently has or previously had a license to publish). Granted, some connections are more remote than others, but the connection is nevertheless there. On the other hand, having scripted a story of a non-Marvel Universe character that he did not create is not much of a connection to prior or subsequent appearances of that character.

That being said, there are a whole lot of Marvel books that a few years ago I would have jumped at the chance to get Stan to sign that now I would not even consider due to a combination of the increased cost and how much more "common" his signature has become. That includes books like Star Wars and G.I. Joe, where the only connection is that Stan = Marvel, and Marvel published those books. But I don't begrudge anybody if they want to get Stan to sign a G.I. Joe #21, or a New Mutants #98 for that matter. From a selfish standpoint I wish that Stan's signature was as special as it was a few years ago, but times have changed and as long as there is a demand, Stan will keep on signing. 'Nuff said.

just bc wolverine 1st app in hulk doesn't mean "Hulk, which begat Wolverine" if their was no hulk creadted and marvel was allowing wolverine to appear in their books his 1st app would have just happened in another book is all

so according to you which DC chacter begat nightcrawler.....nightcrawlers creater offered him to DC 1st & DC turned him down, came to marvel and now he's part of the X-Men

just bc a chacter 1st app in a book doesn't mean anything unless the creater states he was created with the idea of something or other for chacter X

just bc black panther 1st app in FF doesn't mean his biggest attachment is to the FF, imo he's more connected to the Avengers then anyother book

With every new post you seem to be making more of an argument to get his sig! I think the alcohol is wearing off!

Apparently. The first post still stands. I'll drink more and get on a "Hate Stan" rant. lol

(thumbs u

Wheres NYComics to defend the man anyway????

on the phone setting up another Stan signing...

:blahblah:

http://www.cgcsignatureseries.com/Bios/FullBio.aspx?BioID=36

Stan's first published comics work is the text filler "Captain America Foils the Traitor's Revenge" in Captain America Comics #3 (May 1941). His first published original superhero creation is the Destroyer (Mystic Comics #6, August 1941).

He served as an editor and writer at Marvel Comics (aka Timely Comics and Atlas Comics) from 1941 to 1972, before becoming the company's Publisher and now Chairman Emeritus. Nearly every Marvel Comic published between late 1941 through to 1972 involved Stan Lee is some way, as either the principal writer, editor or art director. He is responsible for the co-creation of every superhero character and villain that the company produced in the Silver Age of comics.

This means that Stan Lee can sign any Marvel Comic or comic featuring one of his co-creations for the Signature Series label, the DC Comics "Just Imagine Stan Lee" mini-series, as well as any title or magazine he is connected with.

It makes a lot more sense. Without Stan Lee, there never would have been an X-23 (Stan created the Hulk, which begat Wolverine, which begat X-23). As the creator or co-creator of the "core" Marvel superheroes, Stan has a connection with every character in the Marvel Universe (this refers to the characters that Marvel owns, as opposed to those that Marvel currently has or previously had a license to publish).

By this logic, it actually makes perfect sense to have Stan sign TMNT #1. Stan co-created Daredevil, Daredevil was eventually taken over by Frank Miller, TMNT is a parody of DD/Miller so Stan is in!

As far as I'm concerned it all stops with characters he actually had a hand in. Giant Size X-Men #1 is tenuous at best because of the Jean Grey/Cyclops/Professor X connection. What the book is known for is the new X-Men and he didn't participate in them.

(shrug)