• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGG Universal = CGC Restored

377 posts in this topic

Did you check these books before you sent them to CGC. Did they look unrestored to a normal collector? Amateur color-touch means usually bleed through so it should be easier to detect.. Can you see anything abnormal on those trimmed edges?

Also, keep in mind what I had written about sportscard and coin grading services. I gave my opinion that many seeds of discontent were sewn on situations just as this one. One company will slab a card or coin and another won't for reasons of found resto that the other company did not see a problem with passing through. This is an everyday occurrence in coin and sportscard grading. There are only 3 comic grading services at present, but as more develop, it's an eventuality that we're all going to have to get used to.

The more weight we impart on the finding, of course, is a matter of consumer confidence and popularity, so it's little wonder that if CGG slabs a comic blue and CGC slabs the same book purple on a crossed-over re-submission, we are going to impart more credibility on CGCs say so, and at this point, deservedly so.

But let's project ahead. Say Beckett does start a comic grading service and puts some top comic people on the judging panel that command respect. What will transpire when a CGC 9.4 Universal is cross-over re-submitted and it comes back a purple 9.6?? This isn't just a whim. It's something that could happen. There was a time when there was just one coin grading service, and just one card grading service..now there are and have been over a hundred of each (of varied levels of credibility).

As the hobby progresses, more service will come, and this scenario will become as commonplace in the near future as in card and coin grading cross-overs. Many of the card services were even owned by the same people who were owners of coin services in the first place.

Now I'm not standing up for CGG in the least, but even the most ardent CGC supporter should be able to see the grift. Somehow CGC has been ordained as the High Priest of Resto Detection, so what they say goes, even after we've seen many instances of CGC missing resto of resubbed books.

What if a CGC comic were re-subbed to CGG and they found resto? What if 3PG did as well? What if a future comic grading firm tossed back a ton of CGC books as "cleaned and pressed"?

Once again, I feel there is something fishing concerning TD and his links to CGG, but the overall feeling I'm getting is that CGC can do no wrong, while everyone else is walking with a gun to their head. If you want to shoot CGG for these books, then shoot CGC for missing all those "aged trim jobs".

It's not that CGC can do no wrong, it's that CGC does less wrong. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Timely

It could eventually boil down to the reputation of the restoration expert of each service. Which would bode well for CGC but what happens if Matt Nelson or someone of that sort goes with a new company..and then they disagree on a book.. Who then is right?

Brian

True, but that didn't involve the books coming from a seller that may or may not have a secret connection to the grading service!!! 893frustrated.gif

to be devils advocate we need to remember that in the OS 32, marnin rosenberg submitted restored books done by susan ciccone that CGC missed. 893scratchchin-thumb.gifgossip.gif

True, but that didn't involve the books coming from a seller that may or may not have a secret connection to the grading service!!! 893frustrated.gif

Hey, if it's a SECRET connection, then that means.... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif893whatthe.gif

It could eventually boil down to the reputation of the restoration expert of each service. Which would bode well for CGC but what happens if Matt Nelson or someone of that sort goes with a new company..and then they disagree on a book.. Who then is right?

Brian

3 rounds of boxing.

FIGHT!

Timely

yes, tdcomixandcardz does smell rotten fer sure. thumbsup2.gif

And something's up with his comics as well.

I would mention their Spidey 121 and 129 but look where that got me last time! 893frustrated.gif

The silence from the CGG trolls is deafening... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Fer Christsakes.... this thread was up for an hour and people are screaming about the "deafening silence." Some people actually have better things to do than sit here all day long and hit refresh every 3 minutes. sumo.gif

Clearly it appears as if CGG may have screwed up and missed resto. But unlike some of the lynch mob, I prefer to keep an open mind and let the facts play out. Frankly, I think it's sickening how some people (read: BOC) take such joy in the prospect of this company going under. Pathetic and mean-spirited.

Incidentally, the same people screaming about deafening silence are the same people who were deafeningly silent when the trimmed Batman 11 and other CGC screw-ups hit the fan.

Further, did Marnin present the evidence? Pardon me if I take everything he has to say with a grain of salt unless he can present some kind of proof. Marnin is and has been a very loud anti-CGC guy.

to be devils advocate we need to remember that in the OS 32, marnin rosenberg submitted restored books done by susan ciccone that CGC missed. 893scratchchin-thumb.gifgossip.gif

Frankly, I think it's sickening how some people (read: BOC) take such joy in the prospect of this company going under. Pathetic and mean-spirited.

acclaim.gif

Mark my words, there will be more to come buddy. Much, much more! thumbsup2.gif

Frankly, I think it's sickening how some people (read: BOC) take such joy in the prospect of this company going under. Pathetic and mean-spirited.

acclaim.gif

Mark my words, there will be more to come buddy. Much, much more! thumbsup2.gif

Agreed... although I don't know that it's a flower-throwing occasion... unless we are throwing dead roses at tdcomixncards...

I am disappointed in CGG... but I am outright angry with tdcomixncards... I had personal knowledge of a Golden Age PLOD he sold as unrestored, greggy had personal knowledge of the restored Avengers book, and now we see him taking advantage of the CGG situation to ripoff his customers on eBay.

He's gone straight to the top of my "Must be NARU'd" list with this incident..... and it's an absolute load of horse [!@#%^&^] that he refused to take the book back on the grounds that CGG said it was unrestored... 893naughty-thumb.gif

BTW... the response on the CPG forum to my post:

"I get the feeling that guy TOLD CGC he had CGG grade them first and CGC is trying to make CGG look bad. I hope I'm wrong." 893frustrated.gif