• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Valiant resurgence? What the heck is going on?

60 posts in this topic

Suddenly, CGC graded Valiant books such as Rai, X-O, Harbinger, Bloodshot, etc. are everywhere on Ebay. What gives? They failed in the market unslabbed so they will undoubtedly fail again in the market slabbed. Who is interested in it? Who would buy such items? Sorry Valiant fans, no offense.

Suddenly, CGC graded Valiant books such as Rai, X-O, Harbinger, Bloodshot, etc. are everywhere on Ebay. What gives? They failed in the market unslabbed so they will undoubtedly fail again in the market slabbed. Who is interested in it? Who would buy such items? Sorry Valiant fans, no offense.

Even I've been surprised by the CGC results lately... BUT... I agree...

There is no way they will sustain "crazy" prices for CGC 9.8 Valiant books.

So, what are "crazy" prices?

Well, $300+ for CGC 9.8 Solar #11. That's crazy.

$200+ for CGC 9.8 Magnus #7. That's crazy.

But, $200 for CGC 9.8 Harbinger #1 isn't crazy. At least, not to me.

$100 for CGC 9.8 Rai #4 isn't crazy.

$60 for CGC 9.6 Harbinger #0 Pink isn't crazy.

Yes, I agree that the prices won't be sustainable when they are crazy...

but the "Valiant resurgence" is "for real" when you see the pre-Unity books

selling ungraded for $5 to $25 over and over and over on Ebay.

There is no way true NM pre-Unity books will "fall" again as low as $1 each.

They're not "bargain bin" books... try finding some... they're not in there.

I'll take 1 copy of Harbinger #1 over 20 copies of Spawn #1 any day.

Somewhere between "crazy" and "bargain bin" is the reality of prices for Valiant.

Actual Ebay averages can be seen on the ValiantComics.com Price Guide.

Valiant books aren't for everyone... no doubt.

But no one collects EVERYTHING... so some collect Valiant and most don't.

Actually, Valiant fans like it that way. It's a volunteer community, not a kidnapping. grin.gif

The hottest Valiant books are all now 10+ years old.They were hard enough to find 10 years ago,and to find them in high grade now isn't as easy as it is to find almost all of the books on your want list.Valiant shut down almost 10 years ago and there's still high demand for some of the books.There's alot more collectors/speculators out there than you think.If you got some...I'm a buyer! thumbsup2.gif

Other than Harbinger #0 Pink, I bought all of the Valiant books I want to own during the last 12 months. I paid quite a bit for them and I never intend to sell them. (I already sold them all once back in 1994 as I was leaving the hobby.) I regretted not being able to read them as soon as they were gone. That's one set of those books that will never again see the market if I can help it.

The hottest Valiant books are all now 10+ years old.They were hard enough to find 10 years ago,and to find them in high grade now isn't as easy as it is to find almost all of the books on your want list.Valiant shut down almost 10 years ago and there's still high demand for some of the books.There's alot more collectors/speculators out there than you think.If you got some...I'm a buyer! thumbsup2.gif

They were hard enough to find 10 years ago

No they weren't, common moderns. 893naughty-thumb.gif

tell me which of these were common.....

Harbinger 0-6,X-0 #1-6,Magnus #1-13,Solar #1-11,Shadowman #1-3?Is under 100,000 in the early '90's considered common?And some were as low as 20,000.

I agree that they were not as common as other books from the time period. But you have to remember that just about every copy printed is still in NM shape, and are there really anywhere NEAR 100,000 collectors looking for these books? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

[is under 100,000 in the early '90's considered common?And some were as low as 20,000.

WOW! I'm better get to my LCS and buy up all their stock! They're all "hard to come by". foreheadslap.gif

You can try... but you won't find them at your LCS. That's the point.

If they were at the LCS, they wouldn't be $5 to $25 each on Ebay ungraded.

The Valiant books that are at your LCS are $1 books. Nobody's going nuts for those.

99 out of every 100 Valiant books in print DON'T MATTER.

There's only a resurgence for that 1.

I agree that they were not as common as other books from the time period. But you have to remember that just about every copy printed is still in NM shape, and are there really anywhere NEAR 100,000 collectors looking for these books? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Then according to you every book from every company from the last 10 years is still in Near Mint condition.And the other guy...I guess you can just go in any shop in the country and just find the books I listed sitting in the back issue bins still in Near Mint condition.Sorry it ain't gonna happen and when you do,no more than 25% are in Near Mint condition.

Then according to you every book from every company from the last 10 years is still in Near Mint condition.And the other guy...I guess you can just go in any shop in the country and just find the books I listed sitting in the back issue bins still in Near Mint condition.Sorry it ain't gonna happen and when you do,no more than 25% are in Near Mint condition.

Yes.. many, many Valiants are sitting in bargain bins having been pawed through, never bagged, etc.

Of course, many, many copies (including Pre-Unity books) are also sitting in Diamond boxes or warehouse finds having never been unpacked. grin.gif

[is under 100,000 in the early '90's considered common?And some were as low as 20,000.

WOW! I'm better get to my LCS and buy up all their stock! They're all "hard to come by". foreheadslap.gif

You can try... but you won't find them at your LCS. That's the point.

Hear that big airplane whooshing over your head? insane.gif

Mr Valiant Speculator made the point that 20K-100K is "hard to find", but have you checked out the print runs on current books? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Sorry it ain't gonna happen and when you do,no more than 25% are in Near Mint condition.

That may be the case with the much more common (and worthless) post-unity books.

But don't kid yourself here, the Pre-Unity book were HIGHLY speculated on and hoarded by collectors, and I am betting that the vast majority are still in prime condition.

Of course, many, many copies (including Pre-Unity books) are also sitting in Diamond boxes or warehouse finds having never been unpacked. grin.gif

That is very unlikely.Those Pre-unitys were hotter than anything at the time.And for more than a year.I've been buying these books for years and there is NOBODY that has come out with any quantity in the last few years that wasn't a player back in the day.

A lot of them are in NM, but not all. Some of the print run will get dinged up in transit to the LCS, and most importantly, people were actually READING pre-Unity Valiants, not buying multiples and sticking them in bags, unread. Quite a few of these are VFs now.