• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What would you guys do???

160 posts in this topic

Cool thanks DK!

I would definitely be willing to figure out a fair trade for the Bat3. It's definitely a nice book and not something you see everyday in that grade. I'll guess with your screenname, it would be something you would really like :whistle:

Having just read this thread I wouldn't be surprised if Danny forged those autographs to help sweeten the pot as a "surprise" to whoever won the book. Makes that advertised 9.2 that comes up as a 8.0 seem a little bit nicer which evidently seems to be exactly the case here.

I am surprised the responses in this thread, any business that any board member knowingly does with him should always be discouraged. This guy is absolute scum and any dollar that goes into his hand just continues to perpetuate his fraudulent behavior.

oh, here is my double sigs of the greatest creative comic team ever. I added Stan's sig earlier this year in Toronto via DrewinCanada's hard work standing in line so that sig is real...can't say about Jack's sig but good enough for me.

sig.jpg

Having just read this thread I wouldn't be surprised if Danny forged those autographs to help sweeten the pot as a "surprise" to whoever won the book. Makes that advertised 9.2 that comes up as a 8.0 seem a little bit nicer which evidently seems to be exactly the case here.

I am surprised the responses in this thread, any business that any board member knowingly does with him should always be discouraged. This guy is absolute scum and any dollar that goes into his hand just continues to perpetuate his fraudulent behavior.

I tend to agree but it seems lime something he would have mentioned in our later emails or my refer emails demanding a refund after I found out the grade???

As far as putting money in his pockets, when I bought it, I had no clue about him other than 4000 positive feedbacks. Now, putting money in his pockets to buy more books is definitely one of the main reasons I want to return it but I don't want to be waiting another god knows how many years to find another.

Some people have pm"d me leads on a trade but nothing close to solid yet. I'd really, REALLY like to have something solid lined up so I could definitely return it with no worries. Like I said, if anyone can help to find me a trade partner, I will make it worth their while.

Well, the X2 just got delivered a few minutes ago. It definitely looks nice in the slab. Looking side by side with my 9.0 #14, you wouldnt be able to tell which got the higher grade. Since i'm in a time crunch, i'm ALMOST tempted to throw good money after bad and crack it and resubmit it to see what it would get a 2nd time around!

X2 8.0

xmen2-2.jpg

X14 9.0

x14.jpg

Dont get me wrong, i love CGC but they drive me freaking crazy sometimes!

I have these early Xmen and have spent the past hour staring at them and comparing them. I really wish i had a scanner so i could show you guys these in high res!

Xmen 2 8.0 (just submitted)

Xmen 6 7.5 (just submitted)

Xmen 20 8.5 (bought a few months ago)

Xmen 26 8.5 (bought a few months ago)

Xmen 58 8.5 (Old label bought like 8 years ago).

All pretty similar in grade between 7.5-8.5. There is NO possible way that anyone could put these books in grade order just looking at the books. The Xmen 2 and 6 without question look better than the higher graded 20 and 26, not even really close just looking at the books.

The only upside to this whole Xmen2 fiasco is adding it to my Registry bumped me into the top 100!!! :banana: Even if it might only be temporary :(

All pretty similar in grade between 7.5-8.5. There is NO possible way that anyone could put these books in grade order just looking at the books. The Xmen 2 and 6 without question look better than the higher graded 20 and 26, not even really close just looking at the books.

Did you get the grading notes from CGC?

I have these early Xmen and have spent the past hour staring at them and comparing them. I really wish i had a scanner so i could show you guys these in high res!

The only upside to this whole Xmen2 fiasco is adding it to my Registry bumped me into the top 100!!! :banana: Even if it might only be temporary :(

The writing inside the X-men 2 most likely knocked it down in grade. (shrug) Welcome to the top 100 club. ;)

The writing inside the X-men 2 most likely knocked it down in grade. (shrug) Welcome to the top 100 club. ;)

Thank you! If i return the X2 though, which it looks like i am :( i'll be back out of the top100. Luckily though, i have about 30 books at CGC right now and another 30 or so on their way from different sellers and auctions so i should be back in the top 90 or so with or without the #2.

Did the "sigs" really drop the grade do you think? I never even thought about that but i guess its possible. I'll call them back and ask about it. No question, this #2 is nicer than my #20 and 26 8.5's. No way you would take either of them over the #2 based on looks.

Gaz,

I did call and get the graders notes on the X2. Various dings and dents, some breaking color. Nothing major, all 3 graders gave it an 8.0. Dont get me wrong, the book has plenty of flaws but i have about 15 or so 8.0-8.5 slabs and this X2 is probably nicer than all of them except for an 8.5 Iron Man 1 that i have,imo.

The grader's notes should give a hint as to whether the inside writing affected the grade. Plus you are talking to one of the graders there, they can give you opinions about how they interpret the notes. It sounds like there are just enough color breaking creases to bring it down to the 8.0, little ones that aren't very obvious looking at it.

Well, the X2 just got delivered a few minutes ago. It definitely looks nice in the slab. Looking side by side with my 9.0 #14, you wouldnt be able to tell which got the higher grade. Since i'm in a time crunch, i'm ALMOST tempted to throw good money after bad and crack it and resubmit it to see what it would get a 2nd time around!

X2 8.0

xmen2-2.jpg

X14 9.0

x14.jpg

If the X2 looks like a 9.0....has the sigs....and was a robojo book that came back unrestored....it sounds like quite a conversation piece....Just remember, you may sell this nice one and replace it with a CGC 9.0 that, in hand, looks more like an 8.0 .....tough decision. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

The grader's notes should give a hint as to whether the inside writing affected the grade. Plus you are talking to one of the graders there, they can give you opinions about how they interpret the notes. It sounds like there are just enough color breaking creases to bring it down to the 8.0, little ones that aren't very obvious looking at it.

They didnt say anything about the sigs when i called and i didnt think to specifically ask so not sure if those played a part in the grade (shrug)

Dont get me wrong, i'm not trying to make this book out to be mint. It definitely has faults. There are a few color breaking dings on the spine, one you can clearly see in my crappy pic right under the word "style" on the spine. Both inside corners are also fairly blunted.

I know practically nothing about pressing but this book doesnt really look like a decent candidate to me. It looks like most if not all of the spine dings do break color so i dont really see much if anything that could be helped with pressing.

I literally change my mind on keeping/returning this book about every hour ???

They didnt say anything about the sigs when i called and i didnt think to specifically ask so not sure if those played a part in the grade (shrug)

Dont get me wrong, i'm not trying to make this book out to be mint. It definitely has faults. There are a few color breaking dings on the spine, one you can clearly see in my crappy pic right under the word "style" on the spine. Both inside corners are also fairly blunted.

I know practically nothing about pressing but this book doesnt really look like a decent candidate to me. It looks like most if not all of the spine dings do break color so i dont really see much if anything that could be helped with pressing.

I would return it and keep looking for one with sharper corners and crisper whites in the cover stock. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Yeah, i had a discussion with a poster via PM saying the same things. I agree that i SHOULD return it. I know i should, most on here say i should and GPA definitely says i should. For some damn reason though, i just cant pull the freaking trigger and do it.

I know alot of you have said how this isnt a hard book or rare but i've had a hell of a time finding a nice one. Literally since the early 90's. I had an INSANE one from Clink in the late 90's for $1100 at the same time i bought my #1. The seller backed out and never sent the #2 so they refunded my $1100! That freaking thing was at least a 9.2, maybe a 9.4 :mad:

Two other "NM" ones i bought and sent back when they ended up being more like 6.5-7.0's. Because of the search and time invested, the Xmen 2 is without question my grail, not even close. Now that i finally have a pretty nice one in hand, i'm finding it shockingly hard to let it go. I'm SOOOO close to finally finishing my 1-350 Xmen run but once i send this #2 back, who knows how long it'll take to find another, not to mention how much it will cost.

Cmon guys! Help an insufficiently_thoughtful_person robojo victim out and find me a 9.0-9.2 white pages Xmen2!!! :wishluck:

I know CGC does consider interior defects to the grade in grading. I hope you paid less than $1200 for it. I would just send that copy back and go for a 9.0-9.2 ;) . That copy does have two cool autographs, bright colors and nice PQ, but you do not want to fund robojo business.

No, i paid over $1200 for it unfortunately ;)

The robojo issue is the main thing pushing me towards returning it. If it was anyone else, i would almost definitely just eat the extra cash i paid and keep the book. It is pretty nice and has the two really cool sigs in my eyes. I would just hold onto it and hope another comes along someday to upgrade.

being robojo's book though REALLY burns me up on two fronts.

1) I really, REALLY dont being like ripped off. Especially by someone who not only did it intentionally, but has been doing it to schmucks like me for over 20 damn years :mad:

2) The money i paid is going to fund the next book he buys to rip someone else off. This doesnt bother me as much as #1 because i know even if he refunds my money, some other person will definitely buy it in his next auction and for probably about the same amount. One way or the other, he's eventually going to get his $$$ from this book no matter what i do :(

I can tell you 1 thing for certain, IF i return this book, i will create as many fake Ebay accounts as i have to and every time this book is listed i will post something like "google robojo before buying from this convicted felon!" on his auctions (thumbs u

Man! I cannot wait til the day this FINALLY gets whats coming to him! :makepoint:

p.s.- the profanity filter edits out p u t z ?!? lol

No, i paid over $1200 for it unfortunately ;)

The robojo issue is the main thing pushing me towards returning it. If it was anyone else, i would almost definitely just eat the extra cash i paid and keep the book. It is pretty nice and has the two really cool sigs in my eyes. I would just hold onto it and hope another comes along someday to upgrade.

being robojo's book though REALLY burns me up on two fronts.

1) I really, REALLY dont being like ripped off. Especially by someone who not only did it intentionally, but has been doing it to schmucks like me for over 20 damn years :mad:

2) The money i paid is going to fund the next book he buys to rip someone else off. This doesnt bother me as much as #1 because i know even if he refunds my money, some other person will definitely buy it in his next auction and for probably about the same amount. One way or the other, he's eventually going to get his $$$ from this book no matter what i do :(

I can tell you 1 thing for certain, IF i return this book, i will create as many fake Ebay accounts as i have to and every time this book is listed i will post something like "google robojo before buying from this convicted felon!" on his auctions (thumbs u

Man! I cannot wait til the day this FINALLY gets whats coming to him! :makepoint:

p.s.- the profanity filter edits out p u t z ?!? lol

His :makepoint: misconduct and greed will get him eventually. They always do.

Alright, i've made up my mind. I just ran next door to the post office and grabbed a priority mail box to ship it back. As much as it pains me to let it go, i'm just going to bite the damn bullet and return it :( I just cant let that scumbag have my extra $$$ knowing he got one over on me! The book will always be tainted in my eyes and i wont ever be able to fully enjoy it. I'll always be thinking about him laughing at me all the way to the bank :mad:

Ok, so last question. I sure as hell aint sending it back slabbed, i'm going to at least keep the label for posterity.

So how exactly do you crack open one of these puppies???

Now lets just pray i dont change my mind for the millionth time tonight! lol